Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

10-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

New Study on EV Costs

Some interesting reading for those financially motivated to EVs:

https://www.andersoneconomicgroup.co...ew-ev-drivers/
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Thanks for sharing. It’s an interesting analysis and definitely addresses direct short term costs of EV ownership. I think the motivation to “safeguard the public from ‘charger shock’” is a bit misguided tho. That’s missing the forest for the trees. What the public really should be safeguarded against are the massive indirect (and increasingly direct) consequences of AGW brought on by fossil fuels. I’d argue each addl $1 spent on EV fueling saves more than $1 if u factored in the macroeconomic and geopolitical “costs” of living.

Also I’m sure when cars were first introduced it was still more economical to operate horse drawn carriages. Progress is progress and ultimately costs come down with scale. Again the quoted motivation just seems misguided. If they had simply expressed it as “setting expectations” as opposed to “safeguarding” I wouldn’t have as big of an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 06:11 AM   #3
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post

That “study” is a steaming pile of hooey - so flawed on so many levels that it’s comical.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post

That “study” is a steaming pile of hooey - so flawed on so many levels that it’s comical.
The study is completely flawed.
it takes the free charging fr manufacturers and zeros it out.

it says that people with L2 chargers at home will charge away from home.

The study is so biased toward ICE it's not even funny.
My daughter has driven EV for 7 years now. The only cost outside of charging has been tires, wiper blades and washer fluid.
      10-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
The study is completely flawed.
it takes the free charging fr manufacturers and zeros it out.

it says that people with L2 chargers at home will charge away from home.

My daughter has driven EV for 7 years now. The only cost outside of charging has been tires, wiper blades and washer fluid.
I expected some would, indeed, find this study "interesting", as your response suggests.

Here is a somewhat superficial rebuttal from, of all cities, Detroit.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ge/6173743001/
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
It’s the same bullsh!t below put out by the likes of the Heritage Foundation.
Proposed Electric Vehicle Tax Credits Benefit Unions, Wealthy Individuals—Not Environment

For an “organization” (more like propaganda arm) funded by the ultra wealthy for the purpose of (i) garnering votes and steering policies to favor the ultra wealthy at the cost of literally everyone else, and (ii) expressly not giving two sh!ts about the environment nor the working class, this is really rich. It’s 100% bad faith with the thinnest veneer of legitimacy.
Appreciate 0