01-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #23
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonkgang13k View Post
I'm confused if I should turn on A/C during winter. I changed the setting, so that only warm air is coming out. What are the benefits or disadvantages using A/C during winter?
If you need to either cool the air in your car or dry the air in your car you'll want the air conditioner on.

If you want to heat the air in your car, you'll want the heater on.

It is entirely possible to have both the heater and air conditioner on at the same time, giving you warm, dry air in the car.

It's often preferable to run the aircon & heater in winter so your breath doesn't fog up the windows, and so your wet boots can be dried while you're in the car - also drying your carpets and preventing them from going moldy.

If you leave the BMW heater system on full auto and just dial up the temperature you want; you'll find it does all of this for you automatically.

The air conditioner is powered by a pump attached to the engine, so it uses a little bit more fuel and takes a little bit of engine power away from the back wheels compared with when it's turned off. This was/is noticeable in cars with about 40kw of engine power, but you'll never notice the effect of it running all the time in your car. This also means you will have no air conditioning unless the engine is running (idling at least). Air is blown via an electric fan, which uses stuff-all power to operate; and will work even if your engine is turned off.

Quote:
Also, when the engine is off, the air is not as warm as the engine is on, what should I do?
It is extremely rare for cars to run an electric heating element in their heater. Most cars (It's been very difficult to try to find a schematic of the e82 heating system online) and I'm assuming ours, simply run a second radiator under the dash that's filled with the engine coolant (water). Thus, your heater will only work when your engine coolant is hotter than the cabin. (ie. when the engine is running).

Use your heated seats when you first get in the car. They're heated by an electric element, and thus will provide instant warmth.
Appreciate 1
shadowfax1289.00
      02-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

With the Auto climate control system, the A/C does not run at all times when the green light is illuminated. The green light just means the AC compressor is available when needed to condition the air (i.e. for the defrost function).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #25
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I had the hardest time with this in my BMW because apart from the temperature select, there's also that temperature select on the vent itself, so when I was trying to get heat and it was cold outside, it would just send ice-cold air at me. Why the hell there's a secondary temperature select on the vent makes no sense to me, but it is what it is. The car wants to run the A/C all the time, most newer cars do, to keep from fogging. When i turn on a car in the winter though, I want heat as soon as possible....
      02-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #26
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
I leave it off year round unless I have fogging issues. I can notice the difference between on and off in performance and prefer it off. Personal preference.
I am with ya brotha...just another layer of disconnection I dont need
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #27
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Mine is always on to prevent fogging up cold windows. That is all
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #28
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I turn it on if I need to defog my interior windows. Otherwise it is always off.

Driving manual transmission with the AC on takes getting used to. The AC draws power from the car and it changes your clutch engagement points. RPMs drop faster between gears with the AC on and there is noticeable throttle lag.
      02-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I had the hardest time with this in my BMW because apart from the temperature select, there's also that temperature select on the vent itself, so when I was trying to get heat and it was cold outside, it would just send ice-cold air at me. Why the hell there's a secondary temperature select on the vent makes no sense to me, but it is what it is. The car wants to run the A/C all the time, most newer cars do, to keep from fogging. When i turn on a car in the winter though, I want heat as soon as possible....
The temp wheel on the center vents is there to mimic older 1980s BMWs with manual HVAC systems. The E21, E24, E28, E30, to name a few, had a HVAC system that allowed cool air to flow from the dash vents, while warm air could flow from the footwell and defroster vents. The temperature dial had to be at or less than 3/4 from highest setting. The purpose was to allow cool air to flow on the driver and front passenger's face and torso in the situation where it was a cold but sunny day, to counteract the solar-warming effect from the sun on the cabin/greenhouse.
Appreciate 1
shadowfax1289.00
      02-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #30
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu328i View Post
Time to time you have to turn it on for 5 -10 min. to oil de gaskets and avoid the further leaks.
I read that BMW already does this. Not just for the gaskets but to keep the air ducts from getting musky smelling.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #31
Jmrdmd
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

AC on all year long=no foggy windows
1996 911 Targa
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #32
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Cool and dry is the way to go. The drying factor is my favorite part, even in winter. When I lived in San Diego I would normally leave the air set at it's coolest with AC turned off. Anywhere where it's humid or snows, you will want to have AC most of the time.
      08-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #33
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Mine is set to A/C; Auto. Along with the lights, and windscreen wipers. That way my car knows when its raining/snowing and needs defogging/dehumidifying.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #34
lake_eleven
Laker
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Dumb question - how do you set the a/c on Auto - AUTO button next to temp up/down button?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #35
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_eleven View Post
Dumb question - how do you set the a/c on Auto - AUTO button next to temp up/down button?
Ya, if you press AUTO, the A/C is automatically ON iirc.

I know some spammer revived this thread, but anyway, I thought it was always good practice to make sure the A/C is off when switching the car on and moments before one switches it off?

I use AUTO during warmer weather, don't use AUTO/A/C otherwise (unless it automatically switches on when I use the defrost).
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, if you press AUTO, the A/C is automatically ON iirc.

I know some spammer revived this thread, but anyway, I thought it was always good practice to make sure the A/C is off when switching the car on and moments before one switches it off?
Got to ask. why? I see no technical (or user) benefit at all to switching on or off, separate to the engine start and stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #37
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Got to ask. why? I see no technical (or user) benefit at all to switching on or off, separate to the engine start and stop.
I think it's about alleviating stress on the engine when starting and something about clearing out the A/C sys before shutting the car off. I dunno if modern engines now address these issues so there's no need to worry about if the A/C's off or on but I still practice this since it doesn't bother me.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #38
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I keep A/C on in order to prevent the windows from fogging. Will raise the temp to like 68 though.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #39
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
I can notice the difference between on and off in performance and prefer it off. Personal preference.
In normal usage...IIRC the A/C compressor and alternator both disconnect when accelerating and reconnect when decelerating?
Low battery and A/C demands notwithstanding.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #40
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Not good having a/c off for long periods and you have to have it on to prevent windows misting up.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #41
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
I'm confused if I should turn on A/C during winter. I changed the setting, so that only warm air is coming out. What are the benefits or disadvantages using A/C during winter? Also, when the engine is off, the air is not as warm as the engine is on, what should I do?
Push the auto button, adjust the temp, adjust the fan then forget about it.

Yes, you wan the A/C to run in the winter it will help remove condensation, e.g. windows fogging.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 03:17 PM   #42
karolp1993
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Like others, I always keep AC on to prevent windows fogging, in every car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 12:10 AM   #43
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I think it's about alleviating stress on the engine when starting and something about clearing out the A/C sys before shutting the car off. I dunno if modern engines now address these issues so there's no need to worry about if the A/C's off or on but I still practice this since it doesn't bother me.
There’s no stress on the engine, but if it’s really really cold and you have all kinds of electronics on, your cranking amps need to be sufficient and you might need more than OEM for really cold climates, or you might have to switch off stuff for start. With too many amps required, the engine won’t turn over. Maybe the more modern cars already turn off stuff, but my honda didn’t. Talking about temps well below 0F.
Appreciate 0