Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models)

08-13-2021, 11:03 PM   #1
Pruzina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5M, M6, X5 5.0, 335i

E63 645ci Cat issue

Hey would like some help.
05 645ci. Getting bank 2 catalytic code. During driveshaft service I found that my bank 2 catalytic is completely missing internals. bank 1 is ok.

Question 1 did someone attempted bank 2 cat replacement while engine in car. I can imagine that if it's possible it will be major pain in the ass.

Question 2 does anyone knows if cat from 650i or 550i would work? realoem shows different part numbers but as it's essentially pretty similar engine it may maybe work.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

No idea but I'm subscribed. I would like to know how you've passed emissions without internals to a catalytic converter? Or how long you've owned the car and how you've not had some type of CEL?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #3
Pruzina
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampageSon View Post
Some guy starts referencing flanges at the bottom of the downpipes, which I know I did not have on my N63TU, which just derails the conversation as the original post was about an N63TU. A third person states he "has seen them not fit" on non-TUs, not indicating whether he has the bolt on or slip on style. Multiple pictures were posted in post #9 which clearly shows the bolt on style downpipes and not the slip on ones, which the M5 and most N63/N63TUs use. In post #11 it's stated that you have a build date after 04/11 but that you do NOT have the slip on style. If you had a build date after 04/11, SHOULDN'T you have slip on style?
I'm sorry but if I'm not wrong you're referring to completely different engine. I'm talking about N62 not N63
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
Pruzina
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
No idea but I'm subscribed. I would like to know how you've passed emissions without internals to a catalytic converter? Or how long you've owned the car and how you've not had some type of CEL?
I would like to know how to pass emission without internals as well

Just joking I bought the car few weeks ago with trans issue which I sorted out. And bcs I need to register the car on my name I definitely need to pass smog (which is how everybody knows no joke in CA). Also the registration is expired since 2020 and I'm not interesting in any pep talk with officer.
It almost seems like the internals "departed" the exhaust during one of my crazy test drives as I scan the car like million times and there were no emission codes what so ever neither CEL.
Obviously now I have CEL not mentioning how it smells when I start it in the morning in the garage.

I'm asking bcs there is much more 550's 650's & 750's than 45's so would be easier to pick up cat from these cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:10 AM   #5
Mistaraju
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

part numbers but as it's essentially pretty similar engine it may maybe work.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 05:28 PM   #6
Pruzina
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I'm thinking the same. And as they are really really hard to come by. It looks I gonna have to buy another extra car and take it from it.
Appreciate 0