Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

10-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #45
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monks View Post
BMW quote 315 miles, for i4 M50 with the 19" wheels and 265 miles for the 20" wheels.that he was driving.
All the testing is done assuming that the vehicles are driven like Buicks. But who buys a BMW to drive it like a Buick? So I assume that any BEV I buy would have much lower range than officially asserted.

For this reason I like reviews where the cars are actually driven at speed on roads.
One thing about the M50 that was interesting is that in Eco mode the front motor is decoupled.

I doubt that the range tests are done in that mode. It still won't get the range of the e40 but better than 240?

My daughter never reaches the range quoted on her Chevy Bolt because she has a heavy foot. On an EV below 60 and conservative driving increase range.
That being said, I can't imagine driving my M50 like granny.
      10-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #46
Accident
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330e, i3

The EPA does provide a different range for city and highway. There's a lot more data from their test result than what is available on the sticker.

Their dataset can be downloaded here: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/download.shtml

Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6511.50
      10-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #47
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

BMW needs to step their game up. 5000lbs for a small sedan. Expect 5000-6000lb M cars to be the norm. This things a tank.
      10-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #48
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
The EPA does provide a different range for city and highway. There's a lot more data from their test result than what is available on the sticker.

Their dataset can be downloaded here: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/download.shtml

This is good and for some it may be a concern, but not me.

Unless the range was under 200 miles; I was going to buy it.

I have level 2 at home and rarely did my 335i see more than 200 miles in a day.

Dealer told me build sheets and position information becomes available Nov. 18 for the US.
      10-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #49
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I own a car operated solely with a touchscreen. I've driven it personally over 70,000 miles.

I also own a car with some of the most heavily button laden interiors ever produced (and once previously owned one with even more buttons, the Acura MDX). The Acura and my current Cayenne I've personally driven each of those in excess of 75,000 miles. There is a balance between the two. I will tell you that although your statement is, on the surface, logical (i.e. you need to take eyes off the road to operate a screen), both the placement of said screen and the amount of times you actually need to look at the screen represent no more significant eyes down time as an interior filled with many small buttons. Which ALSO require eyes off the road as they cannot simply be used by muscle memory. Because if you think that this is easy to memorize and operate at speed, I'm telling you, you're wrong.

So go ahead and believe what you want. I've got the seat time behind both and mine isn't an opinion, it's an actual experience.

Agree Tesla's yoke is a joke but that's a whataboutism argument and has no bearing on touchscreens being useful.
The fact that the rest of the industry hasn't moved towards complete touch screens already tells us what we already know.

I agree that there could be a balance between touch screen and buttons but tesla going the complete opposite direction is in my opinion unsafe.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #50
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
The fact that the rest of the industry hasn't moved towards complete touch screens already tells us what we already know.

I agree that there could be a balance between touch screen and buttons but tesla going the complete opposite direction is in my opinion unsafe.
That's great, it's your opinion. Mine is an experience based on 75,000 miles of driving a touchscreen dominated UI. So....

Also, I'm not seeing a lot of buttons going on here. So it's not just Tesla. I don't hear a lot of people calling the Taycan unsafe.

Appreciate 2
      10-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #51
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
tbd- he used the word "miles" didn't say Kilometres...

All the germans have been under reporting mileage so, if 293 is correct, wouldn't be a shock.
He wanted to say km. Calculated it myself and got 295km.
Appreciate 1
4monks95.00
      10-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #52
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Bit worried about the motion sickness. Not the first review that mentions this. And definitely something that would happen to me as well.

Even with his driving style I find the range of 293km horrible. I wonder what the effect of colder weather will be.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #53
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
Bit worried about the motion sickness.
Unless you're doing YouTube videos in the car and are flooring it a bunch (and even then, there seem to be those that can do it without getting sick), I don't think it's a cause for concern.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:35 PM   #54
XtBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Kona EV, 335i, k1600b mc

Quote:
Bit worried about the motion sickness. Not the first review that mentions this. And definitely something that would happen to me as well.

Even with his driving style I find the range of 293km horrible. I wonder what the effect of colder weather will be.
As per all EVs, winter driving will reduce range.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 03:10 AM   #55
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karguy95 View Post
If you've ever driven a Model 3 you'd know it feels like [SIZE="7"]more than just a car but more like an extension of our phones[/SIZE]. I was hoping when BMW/MB/Audi started rolling out with their full EV's they would take some ideas out of Tesla and how the car can still entertain you without moving. You know, the fun quirks and gimmicks. It doesn't look like this car will have that just basically an electric 340GC. For what's probably gonna be $75-$90k USD ill keep my Model 3. The Quality in Tesla will improve with time (plaid). So i'll continue waiting hopefully they get it soon. it was between a LCI G80 M3 and this for me so i'll wait for the LCI G80.
There is a life beyond the phone!
Speaking of phones, the Tesla has the worst phone integration I've ever seen. Even the Volvo I had 10 years ago was better.

No CarPlay
No Siri Eyes Free
No Android Auto
No thanks!
      10-15-2021, 03:34 AM   #56
Hansn
Private
Rep
Drives: E28 528i 1982 - G30 530e 2018

About the range, i dont understand what people dont understand about it...

Hes driving the car very hard, hes going upwards on the autobahn from Munchen to the alps, hes doing speeds that is known for years will drain batteries faster 150km/h, its raining, the range on this car with this setup is 420km NOT 500+ like some people seem to think, add those tires to the fact that hes driving in heavy rain at high speeds, and then he is even doing 0-60 tests and driving"sporty" uphill on the bundesstrasse on top of it all..

Not very hard to understand that he managed to push it from 425km range to 290. Its a WELL known fact that you will have to charge more if you go faster in any EV.

On the autogefuhl iX rewiev its said that you can do 200km at 200km/h with the iX50 according to the live consumption numbers at that speed.

For most people it wont be a problem as you wont be allowed to drive at those speeds anyway.
But in other words, if you do a 2-3 hour stretch of agressive driving you will have to stop for 15-30 min and charge. There is a reason why people have figured out that EVs work. 99.9% of people dont need cars that do more than this. You can do 1000km in about 10hours in most EVs now and if you that in any car its a full days work anyway.

The only worry people should have is the availability of chargers. Its something that will improve greatly over the comming years. In my country its already good enough for the current amount of EVs on the road. Its working fine, and you only charge away from home on rare occations. Most people dont drive 400-600km in a day, atleast not in EU.

Last edited by Hansn; 10-15-2021 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 05:25 AM   #57
blloydtbird
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80M3 Ordered

Quote:
I have yet to meet anyone with motion sickness worse than mine. I drive an I3 and initially, I did have minor problems given how quiet the car was. I suspect the engine noise and vibrations from ICE cars create enough distraction with driving to reduce the likelihood of one getting sick. After a week or so, my brain got used to the lack of noise and I never had an issue again. That said, my tolerance as a passenger in any EV is far less than that as a passenger in an ICE - anything over a few min in an EV as a passenger and I need to get out, in an ICE vehicle I can get to 20 minutes given the right conditions. Thankfully I enjoy driving!
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6511.50
      10-15-2021, 07:52 AM   #58
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
He does actually say 293 miles, but I think you are right on the math that it would be 293km.
Errm, not sure what math you're doing and maybe I misunderstood your point, but in round figures there are 1.6KM to 1 Mile, so 293 miles would be 468.8KM and 293KM would be 183Miles (well 183.125, but you get my point!)

Anyway this looks like a great EV alternative and has certainly caught my interest, but I think the folks trying to directly compare to an M3/M4 on the basis of 0-60 is a bit of an exaggeration. As he says its probably closer to an M340/440i in terms of driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #59
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
He does actually say 293 miles, but I think you are right on the math that it would be 293km.
Errm, not sure what math you're doing and maybe I misunderstood your point, but in round figures there are 1.6KM to 1 Mile, so 293 miles would be 468.8KM and 293KM would be 183Miles (well 183.125, but you get my point!)

Anyway this looks like a great EV alternative and has certainly caught my interest, but I think the folks trying to directly compare to an M3/M4 on the basis of 0-60 is a bit of an exaggeration. As he says its probably closer to an M340/440i in terms of driving dynamics.
.. he simply accidentally said miles instead of km. He did the maths correctly, but said miles instead of km. The headline has been corrected now from miles to km.
Appreciate 1
naywa01280.50
      10-15-2021, 08:44 AM   #60
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M140iGuy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karguy95 View Post
If you've ever driven a Model 3 you'd know it feels like [SIZE="7"]more than just a car but more like an extension of our phones[/SIZE]. I was hoping when BMW/MB/Audi started rolling out with their full EV's they would take some ideas out of Tesla and how the car can still entertain you without moving. You know, the fun quirks and gimmicks. It doesn't look like this car will have that just basically an electric 340GC. For what's probably gonna be $75-$90k USD ill keep my Model 3. The Quality in Tesla will improve with time (plaid). So i'll continue waiting hopefully they get it soon. it was between a LCI G80 M3 and this for me so i'll wait for the LCI G80.
There is a life beyond the phone!
Speaking of phones, the Tesla has the worst phone integration I've ever seen. Even the Volvo I had 10 years ago was better.

No CarPlay
No Siri Eyes Free
No Android Auto
No thanks!
Tesla is like iPad on the wheels. I don't want iPad on the wheels. I want car, I want to enjoy drive and what is around. Germans still understand that. Tesla designers and engineers are introverts who send an email to person sitting next to them in office bcs. refusing to have contact with other human beings.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #61
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M140iGuy View Post

No CarPlay
No Siri Eyes Free
No Android Auto
No thanks!
It's very, very bad. And the voice commands are a fracking JOKE.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #62
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Tesla is like iPad on the wheels. I don't want iPad on the wheels. I want car, I want to enjoy drive and what is around. Germans still understand that. Tesla designers and engineers are introverts who send an email to person sitting next to them in office bcs. refusing to have contact with other human beings.
Bad stereotype. Could we please get off this soapbox already?

I know this owner personally. He's owned, in the past, multiple high performance cars that he's tracked including a 996 GT3, which he still holds as his high water mark for overall feel. His other car, currently, is an NA Miata....with a 302 Ford V8 out of a Mustang Cobra.

He notes that his Model 3 is the fastest car he's driven around Lime Rock....and second most enjoyable behind the GT3.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 10:26 AM   #63
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Bad stereotype. Could we please get off this soapbox already?

I know this owner personally. He's owned, in the past, multiple high performance cars that he's tracked including a 996 GT3, which he still holds as his high water mark for overall feel. His other car, currently, is an NA Miata....with a 302 Ford V8 out of a Mustang Cobra.

He notes that his Model 3 is the fastest car he's driven around Lime Rock....and second most enjoyable behind the GT3.
I truly have zero interest in how well a car races or who it beats. Irrelevant to my purchase. I do care if it's well assembled, with parts that fit and don't fly off or fail prematurely, without Home Depot parts holding underhood components in place, without an interior that takes "spartan" to an unpleasant extreme, and is reasonably easy to operate (a glovebox handle is not a bad thing)...etc. They have a wonderful set of batteries and motors, but the rest of the car doesn't meet my minimal expectations.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 10:47 AM   #64
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I truly have zero interest in how well a car races or who it beats. Irrelevant to my purchase. I do care if it's well assembled, with parts that fit and don't fly off or fail prematurely, without Home Depot parts holding underhood components in place, without an interior that takes "spartan" to an unpleasant extreme, and is reasonably easy to operate (a glovebox handle is not a bad thing)...etc. They have a wonderful set of batteries and motors, but the rest of the car doesn't meet my minimal expectations.
OK, you're entitled to that opinion. I'm not going to argue with fit and finish and parts quality. It gets way overblown in that it's truly not THAT bad. I've had two model 3's, each over 35k miles now, and while parts quality is low, nothings falling off or outright failing. It's just low quality stuff, like mid-2000's Honda. You're paying for the drivetrain and the software, not the build quality. I overlook a lot of stuff regarding the parts quality, but it's not like the car is an 80's Yugo with pieces left behind every time you stop.

But that's not the same point I was addressing above, which was that the car is most certainly not just an iPad on wheels. The car is actually enjoyable to drive for an enthusiast. I will stand behind that. I can't wait until someone, anyone besides Tesla, gets CLOSE to their motor / battery / performance combo without nosebleed pricing (Taycan). Will the i4 be it? Maybe. Hope so.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #65
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Factor in that Tesla would not exist for all the tax breaks my home state gave it. The ability to sell emissions credits and the like.

Now moving headquarters to Texas.

So besides the crappy quality I'd never buy one because they are moving headquarters to Texas.

But back to the interior. I would never buy a car that requires me to look away from the road to get basic information. You must look to the center and it has no HUD. You can't glance at a guage cluster because it doesn't have one.

For all those touting the glory of the TM3, please go buy one. You probably aren't a BMW buyer anyway.
Tesla will officially be the first company to have their HQ in the state where they are not allowed to sell their cars. There is no doubt that without the many incentives provided by CA to Tesla, the company would never be around. FWIW, we bought our first and last Tesla (MY Performance) last Dec. We put in our pre-order for an iX before the Tesla HQ announcement. LOL.

- No HUD
- Poor iphone connectivity
- Harsh ride
- Cheapish and basic interior [the new Plaid interior is much nicer, but the Yoke is a deal breaker for the Model X to me]

Otherwise the performance is good and we have had no issues with quality. The other manufacturers need to match Tesla's Supercharger Network. IMHO
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #66
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
OK, you're entitled to that opinion. I'm not going to argue with fit and finish and parts quality. It gets way overblown in that it's truly not THAT bad. I've had two model 3's, each over 35k miles now, and while parts quality is low, nothings falling off or outright failing. It's just low quality stuff, like mid-2000's Honda. You're paying for the drivetrain and the software, not the build quality. I overlook a lot of stuff regarding the parts quality, but it's not like the car is an 80's Yugo with pieces left behind every time you stop.

But that's not the same point I was addressing above, which was that the car is most certainly not just an iPad on wheels. The car is actually enjoyable to drive for an enthusiast. I will stand behind that. I can't wait until someone, anyone besides Tesla, gets CLOSE to their motor / battery / performance combo without nosebleed pricing (Taycan). Will the i4 be it? Maybe. Hope so.
My issue is "not that bad". It isn't that good either.

The TM3P may be a joy to drive. it may be all of what you said. By the time you add everything including the FSD (that isn't) it costs $68k.

I can get any color interior as long as I like black or white. I don't. I can't get leather.

Is the range longer than the i4? Yep, but that's not part of my consideration. As long as the range is 250ish I don't care.

The TM3P may be a joy to drive.for some. For me it was okay. It wasn't fun, it was just okay.

Tesla build quality just isn't BMW build quality. Quite frankly, it's not Chevy build quality either.

Tesla has supply chain issues and even getting a broken window repaired can take or used to take a month or two.

Call me a BMW fanboy if you like, but M50 is electric and it's a BMW that checks the boxes for what "I" want in a car. I want leather, HUD, BMW type service, BMW fit finish and quality, etc.