BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Parental Leave

So it's been almost a month now since I started my parental leave to stay home with my son.

I have to say, I'm not missing work at all! Its sort of like groundhog day, I do the same thing every day, at pretty much the same time of the day. But I do like it. And I got the good weather months too...awesome! My poor wife is back to work though, she misses our little guy.

Anyone else take a parental leave? I'll see how I'm doing by month 4 or so, I'm betting it might be starting to wear on me then. But for now, I'm really liking it!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

For how long?
      05-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Six months. Six glorious months being paid about $450/week to take care of my son. No problem. Although it is quite the hit to the income.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
That's so nice that you can do that. Sadly, the US and New Guinea are the only two countries without laws mandating leave. My wife was canned for getting pregnant a few months ago. Ahhh the good old US of A.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
That's so nice that you can do that. Sadly, the US and New Guinea are the only two countries without laws mandating leave. My wife was canned for getting pregnant a few months ago. Ahhh the good old US of A.
I don't understand this, could you explain? Where did she work that they could let her go for being pregnant? Or did they have some other "excuse" but in reality, it was because she was pregnant?

I know Michigan didn't have a right to know law, so anyone could let you go at any time with no reason, is this similar?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
From the moment she told them they started treating her like shit. They actually had the balls to tell her that she should have told them about the pregnancy well before the 12 weeks that the doctor recommends you wait. They literally said that they're happy for her but they're very upset with how it was handled. From that point on they treated her poorly and finally, at her 8th month, they told her it's not working out. They gave her no specific examples of underperformance, despite her asking three times.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Never heard of it..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Six months. Six glorious months being paid about $450/week to take care of my son. No problem. Although it is quite the hit to the income.
$450/week? When my son was hatched my wife stayed at home for about 3 months and she received $175/week. One of the benefits of Canada
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #9
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Quote:
From the moment she told them they started treating her like shit. They actually had the balls to tell her that she should have told them about the pregnancy well before the 12 weeks that the doctor recommends you wait. They literally said that they're happy for her but they're very upset with how it was handled. From that point on they treated her poorly and finally, at her 8th month, they told her it's not working out. They gave her no specific examples of underperformance, despite her asking three times.
      05-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

This is always a great topic with our friends in the US, makes my peers cringe over there but really, it's no big deal. You don't have to pay the employee just hold their job for a year.

I took three months leave, great bonding time. First day back at work i wa son a plane to sure up a deal in St Louis, like I was never away.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'd assume you are going to follow through with some sort of legal action - that's crap treatment and they shouldn't get away with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I'd assume you are going to follow through with some sort of legal action - that's crap treatment and they shouldn't get away with that.
Yes. Already in progress.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
That's so nice that you can do that. Sadly, the US and New Guinea are the only two countries without laws mandating leave.
That's because it would drive companies out of business. The proof is everywhere and indisputable. Or so they keep saying. I'm still waiting for the proof. Just like mandatory sick time and more than 2 weeks of vacation time. Every other country gets along fine with time off for employees, but in the US it's going to cause bankruptcy?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0