BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

How effective is the Do Not Call list?

Anyone have anything positive to say about it? I've just sent the 3rd spam call this afternoon to voicemail. I got a few yesterday, too. I used to get them every now and then, but suddenly it's several per day. Does the national DNC list work, or is it just an invitation to even more telemarketers?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Here's where you can log a complaint if you've been on the list for over a month
https://complaints.donotcall.gov/com...aintcheck.aspx
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Accept the call, get on the line with a real person, then politely remind them that there is a $16,000 federal fine for DNC violations. They'll take you off the list.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Someone said in another thread that if it's one of those non-profits, like police, fire, etc. then they don't follow the national do not call list and don't have to. You have to answer, and just tell them to put you on their do not call list.

I had this happen to me two weeks ago I think. I got sick of the same number calling every day, twice a day. Instead of letting it ring I finally picked it up and they asked if I was there, I said yes, then they started their "this is the police fund please consider..." I immediately said, "No. No I am not interested and please put me on your do not call list." They said, "We will honor your request but please be aware it can take up to 72 hours." I hung up. Haven't gotten a call from them since.
      05-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

The list works for legit companies. About 10 years back, I was a rookie stockbroker at a large brokerage. We pretty much had to make hundreds cold calls every day. But we had to use a system that was connected to the DNC registry so if we dialed a number that was listed DNC, it wouldn't go through. If you tried to bypass the system and got caught, they would automatically fire you. If anyone told us they were on the DNC list, we would add their number to the system (even if they really weren't on the national registry). If we were told it was a cell phone, we'd add them to the list as well since you're not supposed to cold call cell phones no matter what. I know other firms used similar systems.

But these days, shady companies just use VoIP phones and spoof numbers so it's really hard to track them down. Even if someone did track them down and they got fined, they'd just shut down and pop up somewhere else. I pretty much just block them on my cell and eventually they go away. A lot of them are using overseas call centers now so getting a live person and telling them you're on the DNC list does nothing. They'll acknowledge it and then keep calling you.

Typically the calls come in waves. Every time you make a change in your life like move or get married, or respond to a survey, marketing companies gather your data. They then sell these lists and the calls start. There's an entire industry that does nothing but compile data and sell lists for cold callers. If you ever apply for a business license; expect to get flooded with calls and mailers non stop for a couple of months.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Verizon allows you to block 5 numbers free of charge for 90 days. Then you have to relist them. If you pay them 10 bucks a month, you can block 20 numbers permanently. But 10 bucks a month is ridiculous and as it's been noted, the numbers keep changing anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

I just used the reject list on my phone. The numbers rotate a lot, but they often don't come back to old ones so if you block one for 90 days, it'll typically stop calling you well before then. And as I said, it comes in waves so someone got your number from data somewhere. The frequency of calls should subside soon as your number ages out.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Personally it does not work for most calls. I closed my business almost 3 years ago kept the same cell number because i had for close to 19 years. I get calls daily for loans or other annoying shit, if I get a live person and tell them politely to take me off the list or this is not a business and they understand(off shore call centers) they basically hang up. If it's automated press 9 press 2 etc I'll get a call same stuff next day new number. I just do not answer anything that I do not have a phone book entry for, IE no picture when it rings no answering. I turn my ringer off always and just go by the pics I have for my contacts.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
I just used the reject list on my phone. The numbers rotate a lot, but they often don't come back to old ones so if you block one for 90 days, it'll typically stop calling you well before then. And as I said, it comes in waves so someone got your number from data somewhere. The frequency of calls should subside soon as your number ages out.
All 4 calls this afternoon have been spam. Hope you're right about it dying down. Sometimes I swear Verizon is behind this so I'll agree to pay them another $10/month.

Can't block calls from my phone, fleeked. I have a simple flip phone.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I have a simple flip phone.
What are you, 100 years old? Jesus.

Anyway, DNC does not apply to non-profit or market research. Numbers are also often randomly generated rather than off a list sono amount of hiding will stop your number being generated.

As the accuracy of web based panel research continues to decline, with several high profile fails in recent years, phone polling is coming back. Prepare yourself, especially those in Iowa or Florida.

We're coming.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
What are you, 100 years old? Jesus.
Little over half that. But I gave up on the nagging "smart" phone idea years ago. I'll check email when I feel like it, not when my phone tells me to.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeked View Post
You're not the boss of me phone!!

Hahaha you old grandpa you
Tru dat.

I had an eye exam last week and the eye doc asked me how much time I spend each day in front of a computer screen. I had to answer honestly at least 8 hours and sometimes 10 or 11. So the few hours I'm away from the screen, I don't need my phone nagging me to look at its screen.

One of these years I'm going to take an unplugged vacation and leave it all behind for a week or two.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I am getting more and more these days. Sometimes they're fun though. Had a foreigner call me today from some shitty call center. I was very loud in the background. I wasn't terribly busy at that moment at work, and was looking forward to a bit of a troll. He said my $9K grant was approved for the government, and he wanted to make sure I received it as quickly as possible! He just needed my bank account number, or credit card number to make the deposit. But alas, I would only accept a certified check! Had him completely riled as I strung him along for a while. Then I asked him where on earth he was calling me from. He claimed Washington, DC. I asked him why his caller ID showed up as Miami. He started getting VERY upset with me, as he had wasted a proper 10 minutes of his time so far. Then he lost it when I told him that he was too kind to want to give me $9K, but that is was certified cheque or nothing. So clean.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I just press one button on the side of my phone and the call goes away. Still bugs me that it happens so often lately. Some other supposedly legit company is selling my phone number. I think from now on when a company asks for my number "in case UPS needs to contact me" that I'll give them my Google voice number that I haven't looked at in years.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #15
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
But then again, you have to log into GV every few months or else it'll cancel it... If it's either some poor schmuck that got your recycled number or it's a nonexistent number, they'll probably start spamming you again. That's why I make it a point to log into GV at least once a month, but for me, any company that has the potential to spam or harass... They get that number.

However, the DNC list is effective to a point; political campaigns and nonprofits are exempt... I don't know how I got onto the phone list of a shitty city I want to forget I even lived in, but once in a while I get a "come join us at blah blah park for a campaign..." but I know you're not a smartphone guy, but if and when you do decide to let temptation get to you, I have the WhitePages app that does a pretty good job of warning who is going to be harassing me, and it does the blocking for me, not VZ itself... Plus as the name implies, it'll help me figure out which unidentified number is calling.

Going back to the original topic, it depends... Some people are scared to death of the national DNC list, but there are some that just don't give a damn since they don't want to spend money on new leads. I responded to a job ad that wasn't exactly detailed, but turned out to not only be a telemarketing firm, but the shadiest one I've ever encountered. Even though I was starving at the time, my conscience could NOT continue interning another HOUR because of the sign below (NG = something backfired; remove from list)...

...Each and every single person being called was PISSED OFF that they are still getting harassed about home remodeling that they don't need; they repeatedly threatened throughout training that they would fire you if you did since "lead generation costs money", they sugarcoat their Yelp page, and for some reason, despite filing a complaint, the FTC hasn't raided this company yet; I passed by the building a month ago and they're still open and operating as that company. Before I left the trial/test period (they let you work for free until a talent scout determines that you're good enough to hire), I just went in and put every call I can on DNC (but only got to about 15 before I got kicked out ).
Attached Images

::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #16
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

These telemarketers are annoying as heck.....most that call me are automated....the second I realize it's them I hang up....no time for this sh!t of i want a product or service I will damn search for it on my own...end rant lol!
Appreciate 0