BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Recommendations? - Neighbor's Tree in my Yard

Hi everyone! Looking for some guidance. Seattle got crushed by a series of snowstorms last week. All the snow and ice brought down about 40% of a tree that's in my neighbor's yard, but of course everything fell square into my yard. Of course the house is a rental and the very nice lady who lives there was in no way prepared to do anything about it, other than direct me to the property management company who "maintains" the property on behalf of the out of state owner.

I reached out to the property management company and no surprise they are failing to return my calls. The renter tells me they are totally unresponsive to her requests for repairs. Leaking window, broken blinds, even a tree growing through a gutter that makes a horrible screeching noise when the wind blows that I can hear inside my house. Cant imagine how loud it is for her!

So bottom line I think there's a 1% chance they do anything for me. I've spoken with a colleague of mine who went though something similar and was told that unless I can demonstrate that the tree was not well maintained, the tree owner is not liable and it's 100% on the owner of the property in which the tree fell into to deal with it. So basically, the law is not on my side on this one, unless I pay an arborist to prove the tree was in ill repair.

I just paid $150 to have a pile of brush clippings about 1/2 this size hauled away so I estimate I'm looking at $300 to make it go away. Not the end of the world and not worth a battle, but there's also just the feeling that this shouldn't be on me.

What would you guys recommend? Keep bugging the property management company? Spend the $300 and just be done with it? A friend said "Had their garbage can, lawn chair, or porch umbrella blown into your yard you'd simply return it, right? So why not just return this property to their yard?" That's honestly how I'm leaning right now. Get a chainsaw, chop it up, and chuck it all over the fence. Perhaps I'll haul it down to the property management office after hours and dump it on their front doorstep.
Appreciate 4
Run Silent15127.00
Kyngofpop676.00
tcphoto3477.00
      02-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Laws on this vary around the country so you’ll need local advice on your rights in these circumstances. Probably cost more than $300 to get that. That said, if what you’ve been told is true, then you likely have the right to maintain trees that overhang your yard, including shearing them to the property line if you think that is best.

Always better to try to cooperate with neighbors, but since this is a property management company and there is likely some urgency to getting the clean up accomplished, I would suggest going ahead and getting it done, then sending a letter to the prop manager with copies of the receipts noting that you tried several times unsuccessfully to reach them, had to move ahead, completed the work at reasonable cost and expect reimbursement. Then forget about it because you likely won’t hear anything more.

Another route would be to contact your insurance company about it - not because they’ll pay this claim or pursue it for you (they won’t would be my guess), but because it would be nice to know how to handle this if the tree did real damage to your house, car, or whatever.
Appreciate 5
Run Silent15127.00
DETRoadster11446.00
minn1913970.00
      02-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Pay the $300 and move on - it's not worth the hassle and your time is more valuable than that.

That is also a bloody bargain. I used to live in FL and had a large oak tree come down in my yard during a hurricane. Cost me $3,500 to have them come and cut down the rest and remove it.

2000cs is certainly on target as well - and I agree - worthy of an call to your homeowners insurance at least.
DETRoadster11446.00
RickFLM410879.00
MKSixer34171.50
minn1913970.00
      02-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Laws on this vary around the country so you’ll need local advice on your rights in these circumstances. Probably cost more than $300 to get that. That said, if what you’ve been told is true, then you likely have the right to maintain trees that overhang your yard, including shearing them to the property line if you think that is best.

Always better to try to cooperate with neighbors, but since this is a property management company and there is likely some urgency to getting the clean up accomplished, I would suggest going ahead and getting it done, then sending a letter to the prop manager with copies of the receipts noting that you tried several times unsuccessfully to reach them, had to move ahead, completed the work at reasonable cost and expect reimbursement. Then forget about it because you likely won’t hear anything more.

Another route would be to contact your insurance company about it - not because they’ll pay this claim or pursue it for you (they won’t would be my guess), but because it would be nice to know how to handle this if the tree did real damage to your house, car, or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Pay the $300 and move on - it's not worth the hassle and your time is more valuable than that.

That is also a bloody bargain. I used to live in FL and had a large oak tree come down in my yard during a hurricane. Cost me $3,500 to have them come and cut down the rest and remove it.

2000cs is certainly on target as well - and I agree - worthy of an call to your homeowners insurance at least.
Great advice guys, thanks. I will 100% be contacting my insurance company and providing photos of the tree as I want to be on record with them from day 1 that the tree is in ill-repair, improperly maintained, and a hazard. That way if anything does happen, even if it's 10 years from now, I've got that record of having reported the hazard to both my insurance company and the property management company.

No one is feeling my "dump it in their backyard" idea?
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Had this happen to me late last year. I just hauled it around the fence and left it next to it's stump in their yard. never heard anything since.

FWIW I attempted to contact them for a week straight prior to this.
Also, It never overhung my yard. It snapped at the base and fell over the fence. I always trim their stuff back over my property line.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
No one is feeling my "dump it in their backyard" idea?
The emotional child in me loves the idea, but Mr. Spock (updated to Sheldon?) says why stir up the lady next door who will just have to deal with it?
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
The emotional child in me loves the idea, but Mr. Spock (updated to Sheldon?) says why stir up the lady next door who will just have to deal with it?
She dislikes the property management company and the landlord as they have been unresponsive to her requests. The backyards is so overgrown she not only does not go back there, she cant even see this part of the yard form her house. She'd never know if I dumped it back there, though I'd do the neighborly thing and say "hey, it's going to be $300 out of my pocket to haul this away, do you care if I chop it up and toss it under the remains of the tree?"
Appreciate 3
2000cs3443.50
Kyngofpop676.00
minn1913970.00
      02-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post

The only point I'd raise about using your insurance (and it might be different where you are) is that if the amount is small it may not be worth using up a claim. Some insurers will give you one or two freebies before cranking up your rates. It might not be worth using up a free pass for under $1000.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Yep - this. Plus, you mentioned she is a renter - so you are hurting her instead of the PMC, which doesn't really seem to care about the tenant either.

I recommend against this approach.
      02-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
She dislikes the property management company and the landlord as they have been unresponsive to her requests. The backyards is so overgrown she not only does not go back there, she cant even see this part of the yard form her house. She'd never know if I dumped it back there, though I'd do the neighborly thing and say "hey, it's going to be $300 out of my pocket to haul this away, do you care if I chop it up and toss it under the remains of the tree?"
Well, given she's a renter and it isn't really her problem per se, I don't really support the idea of dumping it in the yard and making her life further miserable.

That being said, the childish part of me greatly appreciates the idea of renting a truck from Home Depot or whatever and throwing all that crap in the bed and dumping it off right in front of the property management's door with a little sign "Manage This". And I mean directly in front of the door so they can't even get in until they remove it. And if you are a big guy, saw them up as big as you can manage so they struggle with it.

Preferably at night, and with a screwdriver to remove the license plate a few hundred yards from your destination in case there are cameras, then pull away, put the plate back on, and return the truck.
Appreciate 6
DETRoadster11446.00
xQx902.50
Kyngofpop676.00
nyalpine907380.00
minn1913970.00
      02-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^Do these ideas just come naturally, or do you pull on some wealth of observed cinematic imagery???
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907380.00
      02-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #12
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Well, given she's a renter and it isn't really her problem per se, I don't really support the idea of dumping it in the yard and making her life further miserable.

That being said, the childish part of me greatly appreciates the idea of renting a truck from Home Depot or whatever and throwing all that crap in the bed and dumping it off right in front of the property management's door with a little sign "Manage This". And I mean directly in front of the door so they can't even get in until they remove it. And if you are a big guy, saw them up as big as you can manage so they struggle with it.

Preferably at night, and with a screwdriver to remove the license plate a few hundred yards from your destination in case there are cameras, then pull away, put the plate back on, and return the truck.
With apologies to the OP for getting a bit off track...
When I lived in Portland OR, last century, a guy I worked for lived next to a city park where people dumped their garbage. He got tired of it and would go through the garbage to find the ID and address of the dumpers, then load the entire mess into his pickup and deliver it pretty much just as described above. Of course he didn’t stick around to see how they reacted. Did it several times. Twisted but kind of funny too.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      02-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #13
AnOldBiker
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i

Pay to clean it up, document everything, then go to small claims court ?
Appreciate 4
Kyngofpop676.00
Mandi90TT2712.00
tcphoto3477.00
      02-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #14
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:

You and I would get along just fine, sir. Someday I'll tell you guys about the parting gift I gave my ex-wife when she let to go live with her new boyfriend. it earned me the nickname "Evil Genius" among my friends.
Appreciate 4
Joekerr7926.00
MKSixer34171.50
minn1913970.00
      02-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #15
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
^Do these ideas just come naturally, or do you pull on some wealth of observed cinematic imagery???
A combination of both. I'm not one you wish to piss off, as despite being generally uncreative, when it comes to retribution, I can be very creative. And cruel.

My creative services are available for a fee to others.
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
Kyngofpop676.00
minn1913970.00
      02-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #16
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
Pay to clean it up, document everything, then go to small claims court ?
I could but that's deep in the "my time is worth more than this" territory. Thanks for the idea though!
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      02-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #17
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You and I would get along just fine, sir. Someday I'll tell you guys about the parting gift I gave my ex-wife when she let to go live with her new boyfriend. it earned me the nickname "Evil Genius" among my friends.
Someday soon I trust? I always enjoy hearing stories.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
minn1913970.00
      02-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #18
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Someday soon I trust? I always enjoy hearing stories.
Maybe I'll head on over to the dating good/bad stories thread and post it.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
minn1913970.00
      02-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #19
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Heading that way now myself... we'll be waiting!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I'll head on over to the dating good/bad stories thread and post it.
Good man. I'll look for it there.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #21
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I believe the law varies from state to state but if it’s something that’s been that way forever there might be an easement. I haven’t been practicing Real Estate so forgot some things but might want to look into that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #22
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Call one of your friends in the country who has a chainsaw and a trailer. Cut it up enough that you can load it onto the trailer.

Wait until night-time, then go and dump it on the doorstep of the property management company.

Problem solved.

Edit: I see Joekerr also suggested this approach. I wholeheartedly support his suggestion.

Fair enough if the property management company look at the problem and say "sorry, law's on our side, you deal with it"; but if they're not answering your inquiries or the tenants inquiries, then take the problem to them in a way they can't ignore it.

Professional property managers are the scum of the earth. I haven't met one who isn't a shining example of the fact that some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Last edited by xQx; 02-14-2019 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
Darth One6612.50
tcphoto3477.00