BMW confirms no i3 successor (or i8) :(

https://insideevs.com/news/371423/bmw-i3-dead/
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 REx

Glad I'm going to be grabbing a new one before they end production!
1999 Ford F150
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615226.00
deutsch1003942.00
      09-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 e46 coupe

No successor but they will continue to build them for a few more years (as long as demand continues).
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003942.00
      09-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
Mirrari
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 rex

I somehow don't think they'll make it long enough so I can get one when it's time to upgrade. What a bummer! Any possibility for a rwd iX1?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:50 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankertoad View Post
No successor but they will continue to build them for a few more years (as long as demand continues).
Hopefully with more and more range?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 03:24 AM   #6
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 e46 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankertoad View Post
Hopefully with more and more range?
It would be nice to see one more update with 200 BEV miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

A real shame imo. More CLAR platform cars as they are cheaper.

i3 was ahead of its time every where but battery tech and with sales inceasing every year you'd htink BMW would give its unique CF and eco friendly design a second chance with a new motor and battery system.

Instead you will see the new stuff put in the much cheaper and heavier CLAR system. Hardly 'i' brand worthy IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 10:18 PM   #8
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrari View Post
I somehow don't think they'll make it long enough so I can get one when it's time to upgrade. What a bummer! Any possibility for a rwd iX1?
I think next up from BMW are:
  1. electric MINI (with i3 drive train)
  2. electric X3
  3. i4 / iNext

Not necessarily in the above order, but not likely until 2020/2021, at the earliest. Details TBD.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/i4/
https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/new...re-coming-soon

Frankly, BMW lost its EV lead under the previous CEO (the dumb-ass who preached that no-one wants to buy EVs), and is unlikely to catch up to Tesla, VW, GM, Nissan, and others.

Sad, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
i3 was ahead of its time every where but battery tech and with sales inceasing every year you'd htink BMW would give its unique CF and eco friendly design a second chance with a new motor and battery system.
i3 sales have been DECREASING in the US every year post launch, since we have been getting a wider range of new EVs that other countries didn't see (Tesla models are launched first in the US, so was Bolt, etc).

The "unique CF" is the reason i3 is dying.
It's far too expensive to produce, was largely a gimmick and $$$ transfer from BMW shareholders to Quandt family (that supplied CF), and chained i3 to the tiny chassis size that could not be extended without complete redesign. And the chassis is just too short to accommodate a competitively sized battery pack.

Basically, CF was the gimmick that doomed the i3.
When properly executed, extra weight of the EVs does not matter, and need not be offset with exotic light-weight materials.
Coupling CF production to EV line was a huge mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Instead you will see the new stuff put in the much cheaper and heavier CLAR system. Hardly 'i' brand worthy IMO.
I really could not care less what chassis carries the EV batteries and motors.
A dedicated EV chassis design has advantages, but if BMW can adopt CLAR to house EV batteries and motors with minimal handicaps, and at lower cost, then by all means, bring it on.

Alas, by the time they get their act together, there will be far too many compelling competitive alternatives in the EV marketplace (more Tesla's, ID.3, ID.4, Mercs), and BMW will have to compete on price.
Which is not something they have ever been good at.

They can't compete on EV performance, since Tesla and Porsche now own that segment.

*sad*

a

Last edited by afadeev; 09-21-2019 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
I think next up from BMW are:
  1. electric MINI (with i3 drive train)
  2. electric X3
  3. i4 / iNext

Not necessarily in the above order, but not likely until 2020/2021, at the earliest. Details TBD.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/i4/
https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/new...re-coming-soon

Frankly, BMW lost its EV lead under the previous CEO (the dumb-ass who preached that no-one wants to buy EVs), and is unlikely to catch up to Tesla, VW, GM, Nissan, and others.

Sad, but true.

i3 sales have been DECREASING in the US every year post launch, since we have been getting a wider range of new EVs that other countries didn't see (Tesla models are launched first in the US, so was Bolt, etc).

The "unique CF" is the reason i3 is dying.
It's far too expensive to produce, was largely a gimmick and $$$ transfer from BMW shareholders to Quandt family (that supplied CF), and chained i3 to the tiny chassis size that could not be extended without complete redesign. And the chassis is just too short to accommodate a competitively sized battery pack.

Basically, CF was the gimmick that doomed the i3.
When properly executed, extra weight of the EVs does not matter, and need not be offset with exotic light-weight materials.
Coupling CF production to EV line was a huge mistake.

I really could not care less what chassis carries the EV batteries and motors.
A dedicated EV chassis design has advantages, but if BMW can adopt CLAR to house EV batteries and motors with minimal handicaps, and at lower cost, then by all means, bring it on.

Alas, by the time they get their act together, there will be far too many compelling competitive alternatives in the EV marketplace (more Tesla's, ID.3, ID.4, Mercs), and BMW will have to compete on price.
Which is not something they have ever been good at.

They can't compete on EV performance, since Tesla and Porsche now own that segment.

*sad*

a
You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but the CF chassis (and resulting car weight/stiffness) is the reason I own an i3. If the car that replaces it loses it (almost guaranteed), I won't be a buyer of it.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1
TimeFor179.50
      09-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #10
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Carbon Fiber is one of the main reasons I keep buying i3. But also, I just want a small luxury EV. No one is making that. I like the lightweight and the size. Its perfect around congested LA streets.

Make a CF i3 with a 7 Series Interior. Los Angeles would buy it.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003942.00
      09-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #11
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
"EV Performance" really bothers me. Tesla & Musk are the biggest freaking hypocrites on the planet. They tout the goal of Tesla's to help save the planet, yet allowing them accelerate really fast completely goes against that, since it sucks so much more battery which needs more frequent recharging from green house emitting power plants.

BMW could of made the i3 quick but that goes against its purpose to be efficient, the i3s only exists because they caved into the market pressure for a little more performance because of the Tesla nonsense. BMW made a good choice on the Rex as the i3 range is good enough for everything but long trips and it ensures you never get stranded out of juice. Tesla is the only company that thinks 400 mile range is necessary today, and it is absolutely not necessary. Again this is another hypocritical position against the environmental mantra, because it needs bigger batteries which again are harmful from an environmental impact and also because of the weight reduces efficiency. BMW could of updated the tech in the i3, but instead is saving all of that for the next EV's or PHEV's it brings to market.

The i3 was out before any Tesla, BMW looked to develop a unique forward thinking EV concept, and that goal was accomplished even if it didnt sell that well. Tesla's are garbage and for suckers who drink the Musk crack-aid and most know nothing about cars. The initial goal of any EV initiative should be environmental not performance.

I am no tree hugger or one whose goal it is to save the environment, my stable is proof of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post

*sad*

a
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
"EV Performance" really bothers me. Tesla & Musk are the biggest freaking hypocrites on the planet. They tout the goal of Tesla's to help save the planet, yet allowing them accelerate really fast completely goes against that, since it sucks so much more battery which needs more frequent recharging from green house emitting power plants.

BMW could of made the i3 quick but that goes against its purpose to be efficient, the i3s only exists because they caved into the market pressure for a little more performance because of the Tesla nonsense. BMW made a good choice on the Rex as the i3 range is good enough for everything but long trips and it ensures you never get stranded out of juice. Tesla is the only company that thinks 400 mile range is necessary today, and it is absolutely not necessary. Again this is another hypocritical position against the environmental mantra, because it needs bigger batteries which again are harmful from an environmental impact and also because of the weight reduces efficiency. BMW could of updated the tech in the i3, but instead is saving all of that for the next EV's or PHEV's it brings to market.

The i3 was out before any Tesla, BMW looked to develop a unique forward thinking EV concept, and that goal was accomplished even if it didnt sell that well. Tesla's are garbage and for suckers who drink the Musk crack-aid and most know nothing about cars. The initial goal of any EV initiative should be environmental not performance.

I am no tree hugger or one whose goal it is to save the environment, my stable is proof of that.
I have no intention of owning any Teslas (because of build quality and part support), and have a similarity inefficiency ICE fleet to you. But, I think you're wrong-- Tesla's performance and image has moved many people who have no interest in preserving the environment from ICEs to EVs. It has expanded their audience beyond the former Prius crowd. The more people they move over from ICE to EV, the greater their effect on the environment.

AKA, by making the car desirable outside of saving the environment, they save the environment more than by making a car that focuses on nothing else.

... not to mention Teslas are some of the most efficient EVs on the market, despite being fast when demanded.

I also think you're wrong about BMW's "saving tech for next gen cars". BMW is just making garbage one chassis fits all solutions-- both for sizes of ICE cars (one shared chassis for all rwd cars) and for ICE/EVs/Hybrids. IMO this is one of the main reasons their modern cars have gotten so generic to drive.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615226.00
      09-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Please tell me you are trolling.

Performance is awesome. Always.
If you want to be an uber-greenie, train your right foot to drive your Tesla in slo-mo like a BMW i3, or a Nissan Leaf.
If you want to enjoy life, Tesla can uncork highly level of performance than any BMW, MB, or Audi, at any price. Pretty awesome.

Quote:
BMW could of made the i3 quick but that goes against its purpose to be efficient
i3 and i8 could and should be quicker.
BMW is simply too inept in EV tech to execute.

Quote:
The i3 was out before any Tesla
False.

Quote:
The initial goal of any EV initiative should be environmental not performance.
Claims a random internet bozo...

a
Appreciate 0