BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #23
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Like most i8 owners, after many performance cars and usually owning two cars to satisfy two requirements, I love it and don't know what i'd replace it with.

M4 performance with 420d efficiency....win - win
Not a lambo granted, but i couldn't use that every day!

My V8's are a thing of the past now and i've moved with the times. Sometime miss the noise but for everyday, got sick of filling it up! Couldn't get much performance while sat in traffic Lol.

I don't see many people who slate it, actually own an i8, isn't that strange lol.
I speak to many people who have had a Vantage, 911 and M series who love it though.

If we are speaking of technology and moving on to improve further:
A good move to put a V6 engine in it and shut down two cylinders. Sport could fire them all into life. Match the Honda NSX then, now that would be special. All new models have a bit more power don't they, just a shame no more i8 to put it in!

Last edited by Swiss tone; 02-10-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #24
CodyMoulin
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/b..._id190214.aspx

bmw to electrify all cars.. incoming i4, i5, etc..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #25
vdr
Rep
Drives: GT

BMW seems to change their plan on electrification rather frequently. The article posted above is from 08/19 and is already outdated in a few respects. Not the least of which is the quote that they anticipate i8 production continuing through 2021 which we now know is incorrect as their "new" plan is to cease production in April of this year....

Last edited by vdr; 02-11-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #26
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr View Post
BMW seems to change their plan on electrification rather frequently. The article posted above is from 08/19 and is already outdated in a few respects. Notthe least of which is the quote that they anticipate i8 production continuing through 2021 which we now know is incorrect as their "new" plan is to cease production in April of this year....
Yes frequently. Latest news on Bimmertoday reports of an much earlier capacity increase for electrical components in the Dingolfing plant. They seem to have finally realized that Tesla is definitely an unstoppable success story and has the potential to become a real danger for their business. When I look at the constantly growing numbers of Model 3 driving around here, all potential BMW customers.

And yes, also still very happy with my i8 and i3. No reason to change anything.
And also with my 1.98m no problem to get in and out. It's just a matter of training. Meanwhile I can say I've gained a certain level of stylish perfection
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #27
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Another yay vote for me.
Love my i8. Waiting for my second.

I'm average height, 6 ft, but overweight...but no problems getting in and out.
In fact I got so used to the mechanics of ingress and egress with my i8, that getting in/out regular sedan has become awkward!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #28
Bertram28
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

My best BMW since 1980

Owned very few BMWs since 1980: 528e, euro M635i, E-34 M5 and finally the 2015 i8 acquired in May of 2019. I worked at two BMW NA retail centers for 11 years; so many company BMW cars visited my garage too.

I've added roughly 8,000 miles since acquisition of the i8, most at highway speeds. No service yet due. Lost the free maintenance but CPO lasts a long time. Twice I've been on the way to a BMW service center only to have the issue repair itself before I arrived.

So, from this former M-driver and BMW car club driver school 6x grad, the i8 is more innovative, more fun and safer. Not one of my former BMWs is like the i8. Not one was as quick in directional changes, stopping nor acceleration. Not one accepted a full tank of premium fuel for less than $33 U.S nor recorded in excess of 34 miles per gallon at average speeds in excess of 70 mph. Not one former BMW car attracts as much attention either, not such a blessing.

I'm not concerned that this i8 will evolve. I plan to retain this i8 at least until its CPO expires, then consider its replacement with a similar hybrid.

I enjoy all electric driving at home since I have no round trips exceeding 15 miles. I drive cross-Florida in comfort pro mode. I use sport mode when I want to add a charge to the batteries. The i8 normally ends up parked at the entrance to hotels or restaurants, occasionally with a Tesla near with its umbilical cord sucking electricity. Yes, I shopped Teslas. Too cheap looking inside, booring looks, the umbilical cord / range issue, few paint choices, no repair shops near me nor charging stations. The i8 avoids these issues. Battery range is meaningless with an i8.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 04:16 AM   #29
chris perks
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 coupe. Shelsley T2

Every car is a compromise, unless you have the ability to own and maintain a whole stable. For me, right now, the i8 is the best compromise for what I want/need.

It was never intended to be a profitable car for BMW: how could a hand built carbon fibre monococque ever be a mass seller as the build costs are too high. As a show case its been brilliant. As an advert for BMW style it is still the best looking car (IMHO) available. Its role as Formula-E safety car has brought it to many. So, as means to showcase BMW's innovation and style its been a great success.

When production ceases, expect resale values to start holding up, and then for these to become collectors items of the future
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 04:41 AM   #30
Culminator
Rep
Drives: BMW I8

Looking at recent for sale ads, I think they have already started to stabilise at the bottom end. I expect that early, low mileage cars may just creep back up a little and pair back a bit of their earlier and substantial loss.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 07:06 AM   #31
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Prices seem to stabilize around €60K, which gives you a lot of car ... for those individuals who understand and appreciate the i8.

Really looking forward how the perception and value of the i8 will change in the coming years!
Appreciate 0