BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Individual Paint plus other query

Two images uploaded of my latest i8. Photo 1 shows the internal A panel on the LHS and Photo 2 shows the internal A panel on the RHS.

Red Arrows
When I had my 2016 i8 in Ionic Silver, I feel sure that the plastic cover plates (the ones that you use to open the bonnet/hood) were painted in the body colour, but I notice in my 2018 model, they are plain black plastic. Would this be because I now have an Individual colour - Donington Grey? I am thinking that with the standard colours, they may have painted a batch of cover plates and so were able to clip the right one in dependent on the car but for an individual colour - they may just paint the car and not bother with the plates? Not that important I know - just interested.

Blue Arrows
I have a strip of rubber on the RHS which is very loose and in danger of coming away entirely. It looks like the one on the LHS has already been lost. I'm guessing these aren't that important are they? Don't recall seeing them on the old 2016 model but they may have already been lost!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Ranchroundel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5mc & 2006 M Roadster

My 2016 ionic silver i8 had these covers painted as you described. My 2019 i8 roadster in white crystal has the covers unpainted as yours are. Thus I do not think that I this is the case for just individual colors.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Mine is the same - but no issue w rubber strip. I might glue it prophylactically.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

My 2016 had the rubber strip (kept falling off and i finally used double sided tape to keep the rubber strip in place); but my 2019 Coupe did not have the strip when car was delivered.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchroundel View Post
My 2016 ionic silver i8 had these covers painted as you described. My 2019 i8 roadster in white crystal has the covers unpainted as yours are. Thus I do not think that I this is the case for just individual colors.

My ionic silver car had painted ones. However, when the lift struts were replaced during a service, the covers were replaced with unpainted ones too. I guessed they came with the kit.

Black ones may mean struts replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 03:58 AM   #6
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Squarekins View Post
My ionic silver car had painted ones. However, when the lift struts were replaced during a service, the covers were replaced with unpainted ones too. I guessed they came with the kit.

Black ones may mean struts replaced.
Interesting but my old Ionic Silver car had replacement struts at the 3 year service and the covers weren’t touched. I don’t think there is a need to lift the bonnet to do the struts.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
Interesting but my old Ionic Silver car had replacement struts at the 3 year service and the covers weren’t touched. I don’t think there is a need to lift the bonnet to do the struts.
I'm going to guess that:

1. It's cheaper if they are not painted so later cars don't have paint on them.

2. the tabs often break so the service doc says replace when bonnet opened. My bonnet was opened during the service I guess.
Appreciate 1