Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 REx

Placed an order on Sept 20, timeline for delivery?

As the title suggests, I placed an order for an i3s REx on Sept 20. I was told there were basically 4 custom build allocations remaining and was able to get one routed to my local dealership. At this point, I still haven't received a production number.

What timeline should I be expecting for delivery?

The lease on my current i3 REx is up on Nov 21 and I will not be extending the lease. I'm really hoping the new one is here by then by at this point I'm starting to be doubtful.
1999 Ford F150
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
BMW will extend your current lease up to 6 months if you have a production number. Otherwise, they'll always do a 2-month extension without one. Note that i3 Production is slower than the rest of the BMW lineup. Production is just more limited and takes longer.

For timeline --

I ordered one 8/19 with Priority 1 and 112 status.
My production slot (they can tell you when you have an order number) was 9/20 after a 2-week production delay.
9/23 - production actually started
9/27 - on the assembly line
9/30 - awaiting transport pickup from factory
10/7 - at the port - awaiting a ship

Typical time from a German factory to a USA dealer is the same as any BMW.

East Coast = 6-8 weeks.
West Coast = 8-10 weeks.

My experience with ordering BMWs previously is that it's always the higher number. I'm expecting mine first or second week in December.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:30 AM   #3
drowningman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '19 i3s '19 F60

Those are good estimates, I ordered my i3s 7/27. It was built 8/2 and 8/5 and I picked up 9/30 West Coast.

1 week build (order was 112 status)
3 weeks at Bremerhaven waiting for a boat.
4 weeks on the boat.
1/2 week shipping Oxnard to Phoenix. Sat-Wed
Appreciate 1
TimeFor179.50
      10-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
My e46 m3 took 3 months from ordering to delivery (east coast), so doesn't sound too slow to me!

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVExotics View Post
As the title suggests, I placed an order for an i3s REx on Sept 20. I was told there were basically 4 custom build allocations remaining and was able to get one routed to my local dealership. At this point, I still haven't received a production number.
There are many strange things with the above facts, as dealer communicated them to you.

First of all, i3 is not an exotic hard to get car, with "4 custom build allocations remaining". I hope what he meant is that they asked for an "extra" production allocation and got it from BMW NA. Hopefully, that allocation is for product weeks #41-44 (October'19), not some time later this/next year!

Second of all, a dealer can not really sell you a car without having a production number on hand, with an exact week assigned to it. Some actually do just that to get your money upfront, and then they go looking for a production allocation. They will, eventually, find one, but it could be months away (usually happens with limited production vehicles, not i3's).

At this point, the dealer should be able to communicate that to you the exact production allocation week they got from BMW NA, if they really have it!

Quote:
What timeline should I be expecting for delivery?
You are in Arkansas, so 6-8 week East Coast timing, from the date of production, should apply.
The key is knowing what production week you are slotted into.

Quote:
The lease on my current i3 REx is up on Nov 21 and I will not be extending the lease. I'm really hoping the new one is here by then by at this point I'm starting to be doubtful.
It's not likely that your car will arrive in time.
What's your "plan B"? Do you have other cars in the garage to tide you over?

a
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #6
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 REx

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I didn't have the forum set to notify me so I didn't realize anyone had responded.

afadeev, I'm not really sure the particular ins and outs of allocations and inventory allotments. I know the i3 isn't some rare exotic or anything (well, it around here, but that's beside the point). I just know that when I went to custom order a car, I was told that there were no more BEV allocations available, that only 4 were, two were REx I3's and two were REx 13s's. All four were slated for an east coast area delivery, so my dealer said they were able to get one routed to them. I originally wanted to get just the BEV i3s, but capitulated and got the REx. Honestly, living here in AR, the REx is probably best. Our EV infrastructure is getting better, but still a far way away from good.

So turns out, the car I ordered was produced on Oct 2 and is now sitting at the port waiting for a ship. It must have slipped by my dealership.

I'm suspecting now that the timing might work out almost pretty well for my lease turn in. I do have another car in case I have to turn in my lease before the new one arrives, I was just hoping the new one would be in and ready for delivery by the time I was ready to turn in the old one.
1999 Ford F150
Appreciate 0