Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

10-09-2021, 11:08 AM   #45
darioenter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d f10

Are there any sales numbers for the iX? Cant imagine it will sell close to any X model.
Design is not growing on me. Next to x5 it looks so unemotional, sterile, boring. The tire width looks like it is taken from 3 series, on a car that is almost 2 times heavier.
Im probably not the type of the buyer that bmw is aiming for.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      10-09-2021, 01:47 PM   #46
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Sound can be beautiful, noise is not
So, suddenly, any engineered exhaust note that is analyzed on every model and almost every page became a noise? The SOUND of an exhaust note not only provides mechanical feedback but also sensorial emotions that contributes to a driving experience.

Quote:
Why would I want to park the car in the woods for three months? Who else in the forum wants to do that?
Because it is a SUV / SAV, hence implies it has a certain niche of capabilities and addresses to people with certain activities, so many are using it as such?
Ever got stuck by a blizzard in the mountains for a few days?
Or have a cabin where you can go and even work remotely, especially during these days?

Quote:
But maybe you are in the wrong forum?
Isn’t X5 NA vehicle mentioned in here?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 04:30 PM   #47
Norbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3 120, iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Although I don't like the instrument cluster in the iX (also don't like the one in my current X5 either), it wouldn't bother me too much because I hardly look at it at all. The HUD for me negates most of that mess in the dash. However, I get what they are trying to do to make it look more modern. What I don't get is why they didn't just add a "classic" display option that would essentially be old traditional looking cluster. This way BMW can have the esthetics they want and the people who want their 1980's gauges can have them too.

I would go a step further and even open it up to allowing users to upload a custom one if they wanted to. But hey, what do I know...
I drove the X5 without the HUD on and I have to say that the readability of the digital instruments is not that good, especially when you want to use the DAP etc, but even getting a fast and good reading of the speed is more difficult than on a classic gauge. I even tried the simplified mode which deletes a lot of information, but still find it worse.

Fully agree that there should be a ” classic mode” and also the possibility to define your own cluster.
Appreciate 2
ggalanis2434.50
Germanauto9698.00
      10-10-2021, 07:01 AM   #48
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Ignore nosnoop, haters are gonna hate. I say live and let live.
Ignore me? Did you read what I wrote?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #49
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear View Post
I rented beach house in Olympic Peninsula. There were NO chargers anywhere close, nearest some slow 10 miles away.
Does your beach house have electricity?
Then you can use the house wall socket to charge (almost all EVs come with standard wall charger) - it'll be slow, about 9km range per hour. But unless you need to drive a lot everyday, just leave it plugged in, and it will get fully charged eventually or at least enough for daily needs for most people.

Many people would choose to install a Level 2 charger at home, and can charge up to 45km range per hour.

Quote:
Thank you, but unless it is an SUV just to get to Costco, there is no way electric would work for me.
No one here says EV is for everyone.
But with home charging, and a bit of planning when doing trips, it would work for majority of the public.

Last edited by nosnoop; 10-10-2021 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #50
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Quote:
Ignore nosnoop, haters are gonna hate. I say live and let live.
Ignore me? Did you read what I wrote?
Sorry, I meant stein_325i. I corrected the post.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #51
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Sorry, I meant stein_325i. I corrected the post.
Ignore me for what? Having a civil conversation about the gauge cluster.
      10-10-2021, 11:57 PM   #52
soheil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 REX

Quote:
I used to change the face vent temp a lot in my previous cars (one of the most misunderstood and under appreciated features BMWs have had for a while)
I've had 2 bimmers so far and never understood what that dial does! On both cars I've always put it in the middle! Would you please be so kind and explain what it does?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:20 AM   #53
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
So, suddenly, any engineered exhaust note that is analyzed on every model and almost every page became a noise? The SOUND of an exhaust note not only provides mechanical feedback but also sensorial emotions that contributes to a driving experience.

Because it is a SUV / SAV, hence implies it has a certain niche of capabilities and addresses to people with certain activities, so many are using it as such?
Ever got stuck by a blizzard in the mountains for a few days?
Or have a cabin where you can go and even work remotely, especially during these days?

Isn’t X5 NA vehicle mentioned in here?
I love the what aboutism with you Teutonic most of your post regarding EVs are in the same style!

Well what if there is a WWIII tomorrow and i forgot to build i fallout shelter.

Your posts are about as relevant today as the old telegram machine, i am sure someone has a use of them somewhere in the world but in reality its probably useless.

Unless your life circles around driving in mountainous areas where the risk of a proper blizzard is going to happen you will probably not choose the IX and go for another 4x4 and not a SUV or SAV sense they do not fair well in those conditions either.

The IX's will probably be where most of today's SUV/SAV will be in suburban towns and city's and probably less off-road, sense there will be better vehicles for that purpose. The advantage of the IX though will be zero local emissions and as someone stated about less noise in city's due to not having oversized idling SUV/SAV engines for no special reason other then "There might be a blizzard one day in a mountain somewhere brrrr" But what do i know i only live in Sweden where Blizzards are a common thing and cold temperatures down to -20c to +30c i can assure you we are doing fine without gianormus SUV although not uncommon they do exist, but most do fine and you wanna know why? Because we choose proper winter tires.

I have been living with the i3s for three years now and it has gotten me through both blizzards and proper sunny days and also light off-road without any issues on those super skinny a* tires of it.

Just google any random "Traffic Jam" image and see what cars are in those and you will see where those blizzards needing SUV/SAVs are.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 7
volodp196.50
LittleJoe1064.00
screamace303.50
TXSchnee1307.50
      10-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #54
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soheil View Post
I've had 2 bimmers so far and never understood what that dial does! On both cars I've always put it in the middle! Would you please be so kind and explain what it does?
There are very detailed versions of the answer somewhere in the forums that I am too lazy to lookup.

In a nutshell, very simple, it is an extra adjustment to the temperature of the air vent that you typically aim towards your face, relative to the temperature setting that you have set for the climate control zone in question. So if you want your zone to be a certain temp, but would prefer slightly cooler/warmer air to be hitting your face, then set the wheel accordingly in the direction you need. The system will still try to keep the overall zone temp to what you have the system set at, but will be sending slightly cooler/warmer air to your face. Older cars I think (that's what I remember from my previous ones) had one wheel for both driver and passenger sides, newer ones like my 2019 X5 have separate settings for both the driver and front passenger.

So an an example of my particular case, I have my climate control zone set to 21C(about 70F) all year long. When it is -40 outside, the car obviously needs to send pretty warm air to heat the cabin... but once this has settled and reached the 21C temp I have set and we start getting comfortable, I don't like getting hot air sent towards my face as this ends up making me feel too warm. I set the wheel to the blue side and the air vented directly to my face is a few degrees cooler and makes it much more pleasant for me, without having to make my entire side of the cabin less comfortable overall since it will still be around 21C.

Now, if you bought the car new, tell your dealer to send me my cut of the commission your salesman didn't fully earn.
Appreciate 2
soheil64.50
thereef5101164.00
      10-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #55
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The front is growing on me. When I saw the photo of the iX next to the X5, my eyes were drawn to the iX.
I am one who has been repelled by the bugs bunny nostrils BUT I was at the UDE last week and there was an IX on display. While it is still not my favorite front end, far from it, it looks much better on the IX than on a car because, IMHO, the front of the IX is so tall that it reasonably accommodates a tall grille imitation.

On a car, and we used 2021 M440is, to me it is still not attractive. Ticks me off because I loved driving the M440i.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #56
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Quote:
From the reviews, iX seems to have better refinement and it is also much quieter than X5.

Looking at the side by side photo, X5 suddenly looks dated.

And what freedom? I certainly want freedom from gas stations!

Funny guy.
Is quiet? That’s for non ethusiastic people. From what I know I like to be alive. Sound is like colors: makes life different, interesting and beautiful.

When you can bring two buckets of power, pour them inside in 5 minutes and park the car in the woods for three months and start it when need it, give me a call.
BTW, Bring that electric joke to drive it in winter at -40 between two provinces and see how far you will go. Exactly like my friend that sold his Tesla one month after few trips in the winter.

And even then, with that design and that refurbished glass on the dash, please do not bother as I am ashamed to own such thing, forget of showing it in the road….
Surely that's down to a) battery technology and b) using the right product for the scenario.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 03:14 AM   #57
soheil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 REX

Quote:
Quote:
There are very detailed versions of the answer somewhere in the forums that I am too lazy to lookup.

In a nutshell, very simple, it is an extra adjustment to the temperature of the air vent that you typically aim towards your face, relative to the temperature setting that you have set for the climate control zone in question. So if you want your zone to be a certain temp, but would prefer slightly cooler/warmer air to be hitting your face, then set the wheel accordingly in the direction you need. The system will still try to keep the overall zone temp to what you have the system set at, but will be sending slightly cooler/warmer air to your face. Older cars I think (that's what I remember from my previous ones) had one wheel for both driver and passenger sides, newer ones like my 2019 X5 have separate settings for both the driver and front passenger.

So an an example of my particular case, I have my climate control zone set to 21C(about 70F) all year long. When it is -40 outside, the car obviously needs to send pretty warm air to heat the cabin... but once this has settled and reached the 21C temp I have set and we start getting comfortable, I don't like getting hot air sent towards my face as this ends up making me feel too warm. I set the wheel to the blue side and the air vented directly to my face is a few degrees cooler and makes it much more pleasant for me, without having to make my entire side of the cabin less comfortable overall since it will still be around 21C.

Now, if you bought the car new, tell your dealer to send me my cut of the commission your salesman didn't fully earn.
Amazing, thank you so much kind stranger for teaching me something new! Yes, both our bimmers were bought new but no one explained this simple yet crucial function! My salesman said be on look out for a nice check in your mail
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2021, 12:00 PM   #58
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Amazing, thank you so much kind stranger for teaching me something new! Yes, both our bimmers were bought new but no one explained this simple yet crucial function! My salesman said be on look out for a nice check in your mail
+1 -- I think the dial allows for a +/- ~5 degree temp change at the vent.... very handy as described above.
soheil64.50
      11-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #59
lake_eleven
Laker
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Starting to love the front grill, likely my next from the current 45e
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #60
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Actually, they retained physical dials/button for that.
But now it is down below the iDrive controller.
There is a scroll dial for volume, and I presume press for mute/unmute?

+1 I do not understand why car makers change something that works fine to something else that may or may not work fine. People are creatures of habit and mostly seek familiarity.

My loaded 2018 530e is in the shop getting its hybrid batteries replaced. My dealership provided me with a 2019 Cadillac XTS. The Caddy is fine (although not as fine as my BMW) but all the controls look different, are in different places and work differently. If I were keeping the car I would eventually get used to it (just as I would eventually get used to having to slam the doors again after having the soft close doors).

But why change things like the location and style of the volume knob/switch/button. It is something as a driver that I have trained myself to use without looking.

It seems like every designer feels a need to throw out what his prececessor did.
Appreciate 1
sward631.50
      11-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #61
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:

this is a superb feature that isn't explained very well in the documentation but thanks to this forum I understood its function and use it every season, its truly brilliant.

The iX climate control menu though seems like a hot mess.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2434.50
      11-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #62
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
it is definitely different.

I think that they went down the route of making the auto mode more configurable than before all while removing most physical buttons. Hopefully it is something we won't need to fiddle with often while driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #63
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
it is definitely different.

I think that they went down the route of making the auto mode more configurable than before all while removing most physical buttons. Hopefully it is something we won't need to fiddle with often while driving.
I really want to like this iX but aside from the electric Powertrain and frameless windows, there's not much here that is compelling me to want to upgrade from my loaded 2020 g05. I guess maybe I have to see it in person
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #64
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I really want to like this iX but aside from the electric Powertrain and frameless windows, there's not much here that is compelling me to want to upgrade from my loaded 2020 g05. I guess maybe I have to see it in person
Upgrading from a 2020 X5 is a tough one. I have a very well equipped 2019 so kind of in the same boat. In my case, I am looking at it more as just getting a new car to scratch the new car itch I get every few years, not because there is a rational or financial reason to.

Off the top of my head though, here are some pros and cons.

Pros:
electric powertrain
seems to be quieter than a X5
electricity costs significantly less than gas
no need to visit gas stations if you charge at home
front cabin feels roomier
front seats more comfortable for normal cruising (felt comfier to my fat ass anyway)
rear passenger room is significantly better than X5
rear seats also felt more comfortable
fancy shading moonroof
panel heating
frameless windows? (I don't understand why some people like this to be honest)
maybe the B&W audio system is better in the iX than the B&W in the X5

Cons:
charging on long trips not as convenient/hassle free as gassing up
rear trunk space is less, although mainly at the top of the trunk area
cannot open sunroof
no privacy shades in the back
less physical buttons (i.e hvac, shortcut keys)
tow hitch seems unavailable in North America
no 3rd row seating option
ambient air doesn't seem to be offered
need to buy a charging station for home charging unless you already have one
no heated and cooled cupholders
no light elements in panoramic roof
no dual pane windows

Last edited by ggalanis; 11-20-2021 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: Added B&W audio to pros list, and others to cons list
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      11-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #65
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

My big issue is that iDrive 7 is perfect. I think iDrive8 is a mess from what I've seen. We have a 2016 F15, if I can score an absurd trade in for it along with the ev tax credit, then it may be worth a conversation to see if the upgrade route is worth it. Otherwise, this is the only model with close to the same feature available in our X5, not including heated and cooled cup holders, dual pane glass and the luggage compartment package and coats more without any available likely discount given the present situation.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2434.50
      11-20-2021, 10:38 PM   #66
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My big issue is that iDrive 7 is perfect. I think iDrive8 is a mess from what I've seen. We have a 2016 F15, if I can score an absurd trade in for it along with the ev tax credit, then it may be worth a conversation to see if the upgrade route is worth it. Otherwise, this is the only model with close to the same feature available in our X5, not including heated and cooled cup holders, dual pane glass and the luggage compartment package and coats more without any available likely discount given the present situation.
Honestly I wouldn't worry about iDrive8 too much. Once you get used to it you may end up liking it more than 7 anyway. As long as the stuff I need to commonly do while driving is easy and not too distracting, I'm ok with it.

Yeah I too have the heated and cooled cupholders, they can be ok on a really long trip but most of the time, on a short drive they don't really do much. I'll add their omission to the list of cons, along with the light elements in the panoramic roof that I thought of as well. As for dual pane glass, I think they have insulated the iX very well from all the videos I have watched so far. They could have also added dual pane glass on top of it, maybe that would have made it even quieter. It is odd that they didn't include it or offer it as an option. I know that when I ordered my X5, even though it was offered as a low cost option in the US and likely elsewhere, it was not possible to order it on a Canadian car. I complained through my dealer to BMW Canada but their response to him was that it didn't make a big enough difference in sound levels so they opted to not have it available. I didn't care enough to push hard for it.
Appreciate 0