Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

10-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #1
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

A Reason to Lease Now Instead of Purchase?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...K00000B6o40QAB

The platform strategy of powertrain versatility intentionally continues.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

It's going to become a crazy tech fest all the way until solid state in the 2030's so I think, much like a mobile phone that the tech will change rapidly at first.

I won't keep an i4 longer than 2 years to ensure that I don't suffer the crazy depreciation that's likely when the 'tech device' is much older.

I still have some concerns jumping to an EV now with the i4 given it's BMW's first attempt at an EV sedan.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #3
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
I think lease or buy depends on the second hand market as of now at least here in Sweden it can be good to "buy" or "finance" so to speak due to the second hand market on EVs in 3-4 years will still be good if by then the new 3 series arrive with 650-700 km then when selling on the 2nd market there will be more options for those who wants to buy an EV that way.

Here at least it will be a strong second hand market for the next 10 years but after that i think when a lot of manufactures have released their own EVs in all segments then the 2nd market will be less volatile and more stable with correct depreciation prices on EVs also. If EU goes ahead with the ban of new sales on ICE Vehicles by 2030-2035 the EV market will be even more stable.

A lot of peoples psyche works in that way that they will wait until last second until changing like when a ban comes in place of new ICE sales then they will panic and buy EVs.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...K00000B6o40QAB

The platform strategy of powertrain versatility intentionally continues.
I think people have the misconception that this means that you will see a 40000lb 3/4 series.

Let's take a critical look

You might save a few hundred pounds in the chassis since it will be EV specifically. you will get the flat floor but you aren't going to shave 1000 pounds. There will be a use of lighter materials and even CFRP. But you must look at the tradeoff between weight and cost and find that sweet spot.

Energy density in batteries will go up with solid state batteries. Once again it will be a trade off of weight vs range.

Finally motors. BMW already uses excited motors with no permanent magnets with very high efficiency. They may look at stronger and lighter case materials. But the insides are still going to weigh about the same.

With all those things you will save weight and get better range. Are you willing to compromise and buy a BMW with a Tesla interior? I'm not. What I pay for in a BMW is quality wood, metals and fabric/leather.
      10-20-2021, 02:07 AM   #5
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
I think lease or buy depends on the second hand market as of now at least here in Sweden it can be good to "buy" or "finance" so to speak due to the second hand market on EVs in 3-4 years will still be good if by then the new 3 series arrive with 650-700 km then when selling on the 2nd market there will be more options for those who wants to buy an EV that way.

Here at least it will be a strong second hand market for the next 10 years but after that i think when a lot of manufactures have released their own EVs in all segments then the 2nd market will be less volatile and more stable with correct depreciation prices on EVs also. If EU goes ahead with the ban of new sales on ICE Vehicles by 2030-2035 the EV market will be even more stable.

A lot of peoples psyche works in that way that they will wait until last second until changing like when a ban comes in place of new ICE sales then they will panic and buy EVs.
This makes a lot of sense and isn the UK the sale of new petrol and diesel cars is banned from 2030.

I just need to decide if I move now or get another full fat M car for another 2 years…. But I’m guessing the depreciation post this crazy used car blip with go back to normal in 1-2 years.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0