BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #23
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
No Matt, the RS6 is rumored to weigh between 4800 and 4900 pounds, I actually gave Audi credit in this case.
      01-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #24
md80tom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 AW 330i

Quote:
No Matt, the RS6 is rumored to weigh between 4800 and 4900 pounds, I actually gave Audi credit in this case.
You like bashing Audi don't you?

"with a vehicle weight of 2,025 kilograms"
-http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/09/580_horsepower_2008_audi_rs6_a.html

You sure you didn't start the rumor?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #25
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

How long has he been bashing em now...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #26
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtiTom View Post
You like bashing Audi don't you?

"with a vehicle weight of 2,025 kilograms"
-http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/09/580_horsepower_2008_audi_rs6_a.html

You sure you didn't start the rumor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
How long has he been bashing em now...

There might be a reason why the RS6 is not going to be available in mass production and they are looking for an RS6 Plus.....they CANNOT beat the current M5.

I know it sucks for Audi to see a bright target and then miss.
      01-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #27
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
There might be a reason why the RS6 is not going to be available in mass production and they are looking for an RS6 Plus.....they CANNOT beat the current M5.

I know it sucks for Audi to see a bright target and then miss.
I think we should at least wait before we say anything more. Firstly, we know the engine is underrated. It isnt 580bhp, it's over 600bhp. Also, I've heard from good sources and other people have confirmed that the RS6 laptimes will be very interesting.

Regarding the RS6 Plus, Audi havent confirmed that they will definately produce it. They'll obviously study RS6 sales and if they produced a Plus Concept they would consider feedback on it too before going into production. In short, just because they might make a Plus, it doesnt mean they arent confident that the RS6 will compete with the M5. Sources say it is the opposite infact.
      01-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #28
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I think we should at least wait before we say anything more. Firstly, we know the engine is underrated. It isnt 580bhp, it's over 600bhp. Also, I've heard from good sources and other people have confirmed that the RS6 laptimes will be very interesting.

Regarding the RS6 Plus, Audi havent confirmed that they will definately produce it. They'll obviously study RS6 sales and if they produced a Plus Concept they would consider feedback on it too before going into production. In short, just because they might make a Plus, it doesnt mean they arent confident that the RS6 will compete with the M5. Sources say it is the opposite infact.
HKS786,

Don't mind old T-Bone what he doesn't understand or finds as a threat to his beloved M6 he usually tries to run down. He reckons the RS6 won't be capable of beating the M5, who are we to disagree and if the RS6 does give it a whipping then who will be the one with egg on his face.

P.S.

Beside the way you are a very gifted guy, I wished I had your skills.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #29
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Looks super plain.
      01-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #30
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Footie

What have you heard about RS6 laptimes? I've heard from a few sources that it will suprise us. Here's another update from a good source over at RS6.com:

He says the RS6 Avant is at a press event at Le Castellet, Grand Prix Racetrack Paul Ricard. People are allowed to testdrive the car and results will be availible in the next few days. He also says test cars are equipped with Pirelli PZero Tires that are certified for OE use. I guess we'll find out sooner or later what the RS6 is made of

PS. you probably do have the skill, it's not as hard as it looks honestly. You just need a good eye and patience
      01-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #31
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Footie

What have you heard about RS6 laptimes? I've heard from a few sources that it will suprise us. Here's another update from a good source over at RS6.com:

He says the RS6 Avant is at a press event at Le Castellet, Grand Prix Racetrack Paul Ricard. People are allowed to testdrive the car and results will be availible in the next few days. He also says test cars are equipped with Pirelli PZero Tires that are certified for OE use. I guess we'll find out sooner or later what the RS6 is made of

PS. you probably do have the skill, it's not as hard as it looks honestly. You just need a good eye and patience
Who is the source? I take it he either works for Audi, the race track or one of the magazines at the event.

I don't know anything about lap times other than what I saw of it testing at the ring and the thing looked like it could take corners, contrary to what T-Bone believes.

I understand why T-Bone feels the way he does, in the past the RS models weren't as quick but in most of the test comparing the M3 to the RS4 (Europe figures) the Audi is all but matching the times to the nearest tenth of a second and that's up to 150mph, same power but more weight and more drive train lose so when you look at it that the RS6 has possibly 600+hp is once again heavier and still with Quattro you have to believe that it's got more than a chance of beating the M5 in a straight acceleration fight. 600hp+650Nm(maybe more) vs 507hp+500Nm, it's a no brain-er to me.

The only fly in the ointment is the extra drive train lose caused by the auto, but then again this is one of the most advanced autos currently available so I still believe the RS6 will be victorious, at least until BMW upgrade their M5 and M6.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #32
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
HKS786,

P.S.

Beside the way you are a very gifted guy (if you know what I mean!), I wished I had your size and skills (if you know what I mean!). Call me! We both share the Audi's metrosexual point of view and lifestyle. BTW, did you know there is a sale going on at Macy's?

Love, your little bunny,
Footie
We would all appreciate if you could keep this kind of conversation in PM.

Last edited by E90ice; 01-22-2008 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #33
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
HKS786,

Don't mind old T-Bone what he doesn't understand or finds as a threat to his beloved M6 he usually tries to run down. He reckons the RS6 won't be capable of beating the M5, who are we to disagree and if the RS6 does give it a whipping then who will be the one with egg on his face.

P.S.

Beside the way you are a very gifted guy, I wished I had your skills.

Psaa......it is already slower than the M5 in a straight line. It is the old-school Quattro so it is going to understeer like a pig. If it cannot even beat the M5 in a straightline with its 580 hp engine, it has NO chance around a track.

I already have a bet that the existing M5 will beat an RS6 in Gustav's airfield run this summer.

The ONLY reason why they are doing an RS6 Plus is because the 3 year old M5 is still laying waste to the new RS6.

POWER is only one of many variables. Drivetrain suckage, dynamic weight distribution and weight are others.

Anyone want to bet against the M5?? BTW, why is it taking SO long to get to production? Because the car is not competitive.
      01-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #34
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BTW, why is it taking SO long to get to production? Because the car is not competitive.
Can you tell me how long the new M3 was in development for, I think you will be surprised by the length of time.

You are entitled to your opinion mate and I don't doubt any encounter will be close but as someone else said it's HP that wins the race and clearly 600hp is a lot more than 500hp.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #35
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Can you tell me how long the new M3 was in development for, I think you will be surprised by the length of time.

You are entitled to your opinion mate and I don't doubt any encounter will be close but as someone else said it's HP that wins the race and clearly 600hp is a lot more than 500hp.

Actually it is torque to the wheels that wins the acceleration race. Using Quattro has all but assured a 2nd place for the RS6. Even in the test, it is slower to 150 mph than the M5..... As it gets faster, Quattro sucks more power.

At a track, I don't need to state understeer again do I? The RS6 can't even beat the M5 in a straight line.....how sad is that?
      01-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #36
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, but the new M3 is kicking ass...the new RS6 after 5 years of development will still get owned by the M5.

And can you say GEARING?
      01-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #37
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually it is torque to the wheels that wins the acceleration race. Using Quattro has all but assured a 2nd place for the RS6. Even in the test, it is slower to 150 mph than the M5..... As it gets faster, Quattro sucks more power.

At a track, I don't need to state understeer again do I? The RS6 can't even beat the M5 in a straight line.....how sad is that?

Can you give us your wisdom as to why in Europe the M3 and RS4 are all but equal in the times each are posting to 150mph and yet on this occasion the power is the same and the RS4 still weighs more and has this same power draining drive train.

At what point are you going to concede that maybe you could be wrong in your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #38
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Can you give us your wisdom as to why in Europe the M3 and RS4 are all but equal in the times each are posting to 150mph and yet on this occasion the power is the same and the RS4 still weighs more and has this same power draining drive train.

At what point are you going to concede that maybe you could be wrong in your opinion.

Really.....have you seen the pwn'age of the RS4 by the E92 M3 on the airfield runs?? Have you seen the RS4 get humilated by a ML63 (A 5000 pound truck)? Do you really want me to go searching for the vids?

This is about the RS6....do a search against the M5. Look up 0-150.
      01-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #39
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh Footie, mate, why do you open yourself like this?

Ass hurt from a 5000 pound truck with the aerodynamics of a brick:

M3 less power but much better drivetrain

RS4 V8 vs. the lowly E46 M3 CSL (Inline 6) - explain this one Footie?

Just in case you thought it was just luck

I know you are going to be a fellow BMW dude.....but you must admit the Quattro system absolutely sucks for power drain..... The Quattro system is shameful.