Caesar
      01-23-2021, 07:42 AM   #24
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Neither do I. It's called Redbox. I pay a max of $2.12 for uncompressed BluRay. Many times, I pay less due to coupon codes or rent one get one free promos. If I decide to buy a Bluray/4k, it's certainly not $30. So you're just exaggerating.

Those that are streaming, how much data do you all consume in a month? The reason I ask is on another thread, I brought up Comcast's move to data cap pretty much all of their service plans with a 1.2TB per month max. If you go over, you're hit with a $10 per 50GB of usage up to a maximum of $100 extra for the overage charges. Or you can pay $30 a month to go unlimited. And before you all say, that $30 extra a month isn't that big a deal, it's the whole death by a thousand cuts. It's $30 now. What will it be in the future? Comcast can raise rates for unlimited data, your service plan, or both. Can't imagine how much data gets consumed on a 4k/HDR stream.
Interesting conversation. I’m torn as I used to love seeing big movies in IMAX but I would usually go on the earliest Saturday am showing to avoid crowds on opening weekends - crowds are my least favorite part of going to the movies, especially during COVID. Rarely went to the movies for a drama, etc. - save those for date nights at home with the wife.

While I do appreciate pure video/audio quality, I also really appreciate the convenience of streaming. Constantly battle myself on the split but I think there will always be audio/videophile options but they will likely increase in cost as demand will continue to go down.

The pipe for streaming is really capable of better quality/lower compression(I.e. GB internet). The cost to improve that process will keep it in the background for now. Example, I have DirecTv (purely for NFL Sunday Ticket access). Picture quality used to be rated as tops and was great. Now, I can barely watch a few channels a the compression is so terrible since AT&T just wants to add channels for revenue so more channels = more compression = worse picture quality.

I’m also struggling with CarPlay - I upgraded our recent order on our X5 with the B&W sound system. The compression of streaming audio stinks and forget about satellite. I burned all of my old CDs years ago into Itunes and don’t think I’ll go through that again. Now I’m considering an HD music streaming service. It’s a ridiculous circle. I just picked up my car the other day and I’m struggling to see value in the B&W with all of the compressed sound sources . . .but the speaker lights look cool! Will be trying some new music services with ‘high def’ music soon. Apple limits carplay to CD quality so have to see if that’s enough to make a difference. Unfortunately, I can really notice the difference in the compressed music models.

Anyway, we went to 2TB last month and have been around 1.3-2 TB usage according to Comcast’s website. I don’t know if I believe that as we’re only two people and although one of our TVs may be on streaming most of the day, I don’t trust their math. I have to double check all of that with my own network info. I think their whole process was very poor and especially when many people are struggling with making ends meet and multiple kids doing home schooling - just a bad decision right now. But of course, I added the $30 unlimited so I don’t have to worry about the overage charges - we’re lucky we are able to do that, not everyone is. As a tip, I was also able to get them to reduce my bill by $20 for 3 years so the net increase will only be $10 net so maybe see if you can get Comcast to do that or something similar for you.

Agreed on the death by 1,000 cuts.

Last edited by jg05; 01-23-2021 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #25
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

My Home Theater awaits....
Attached Images

MKSixer34171.50
      01-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #26
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Love the seating! Where did you get it from?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #27
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Love the seating! Where did you get it from?
Thanks! Z Gallery. It's called the Cloud Sectional.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      01-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Sweeeeet!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 06:29 PM   #29
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Honestly, I’m surprised with all the streaming services and quality of home theatre experience that anyone even goes out to a cinema anymore. The hassle, crowds, etc. just ain’t worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Totally agree. I hate theaters.
It depends. When I was dating the former bikini model a couple of years ago a theater date was very special. There is something about playing around in a theater that is so fun!!

If you know what I mean...
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1