02-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #45
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross61 View Post
Actually that guy survived - physically. Lost some hearing too.
I know, you just reminded me of that one I saw years ago. He's certainly a lucky guy. Not too many say they got ingested by a jet engine.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #46
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Let's start a thread of stories about dangerous encounters/accidents you've witnessed or encountered. These can be related to car accidents, accidents involving working with tools or general mishaps.

I'll add some shortly. Let's hear what you have.
Responded as a firefighter to an accident. Upon arrival found a trash truck worker had been run over by a trash truck going in reverse. He was on the back of the truck, which was going in reverse, when he fell off. Upon arrival he was laying down and everything from his naval down was as flat as a piece of paper. The truck was going in reverse when he fell off and went under the rear wheels. I always wonder if he survived.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #47
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
What?? Man card revoked! It's either beer or brown water...
In my defense, it had been after several days at a management meeting when the brown water flowed too freely. I needed step-down therapy.

I will still discipline myself:
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
kscarrol8775.50
N54Yankee2706.00
      02-28-2019, 09:56 PM   #48
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Me and my two brothers were on the roof of our Memphis home one day, we had a handful of bottle rockets and wanted to make some noise. We lived in a subdivision, with the typical adjoining backyards. One of the adjoining backyards was owned by a Pentecostal couple, and they liked to garden. She was in the garden that day and we got the brilliant idea to fire one off in her general direction and lo and behold, it went right into her beehive hairdo and exploded. We got in so much trouble.
      02-28-2019, 11:30 PM   #49
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Not me, but my dad saw an 18 wheeler lose control and flip on its side. When he got to the truck, he found that the driver was ejected and the truck had landed on him, crushing the lower half of his body. The man died in his arms as he waited for the ambulance to arrive.

I once drove by a charred car on the side of the road. I saw the paramedics pulling a burnt dead body from the drivers seat. That was kind of fucked. Driving is no joke.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-28-2019, 11:33 PM   #50
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeasley View Post
I have two.

First, November 3rd 2015 I was on my Harley driving to work on the 91w when I got to Corona. Traffic was at an obvious standstill at 6:30am. I was following a group of other bikes splitting lanes when we got to a car riding the line blocking us from passing anyone else. Eventually a car in lane 2 moved over enough for the group to pass. As I passed the blocking car person, she swerved into me and hit me, throwing me under a big truck which then ran over my head, back and arm. I was rushed to the hospital after laying alone on the freeway for 7 minutes. No one approached because the witnesses had seen my head ran over and all thought I was dead. Thankfully my helmet worked.

After that accident my family and then girlfriend banned me from getting another bike so I bought a 535i. I went fishing in Huntington harbor late on the night of March 21st 2016. We left at about midnight. When the light turned green to turn left onto pch, I started going and was hit in my driver side door by a drunk driver going 80mph. That crippled me for over a year and 6 surgeries later i'm still dealing with the injuries from that.
Damn dude, I hope you reach a full recovery. That’s some seriously bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:48 PM   #51
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

When I was a kid I found a pellet gun in my grandpa’s shed. I had no idea that it was loaded and fully pumped. I put my finger in front of the barrel and pulled the trigger (dumb as shit, I know). Next thing I know there is blood pouring out of my finger. The pellet went clean through my finger and tore my entire nail off in the process. I still don’t have much feeling in that part of my finger.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #52
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Former co-worker stories:

In 2002 I worked as a machine operator in a lumber processing facility. My shift started at 3:30 and I always arrived early to take inventory of the material that I would be processing that evening. Shortly after getting on the production floor I hear a blood curdling scream and see almost everyone running in the direction of the scream. All the machines stopped and the banshee-like screams continued. A woman wearing a loosely fitting t-shirt had reached over a rotating shaft to dislodge a boards being carried by a conveyor chain. The area that she reached over is where a sprocket was located. The sleeve of her shirt become entangled between the sprocket and chain. There was no e-stop located at this area. As the shirt was ripped off of her she was unable to get her arm out of it as it twisted around her eventually wrapping her entire right arm around the 8" diameter shaft up to her shoulder before someone could stop the machine. It literally shattered and forced every broken bone out of her skin as it rolled her arm into an 8" roll of what I can only describe as what the end of a tube of tooth paste looks like when you roll it to squeeze out the last the tooth paste. The rest of the evening at work was very quiet and somber. I still get chills thinking about seeing it. Needless to say, there was no saving her arm.

After starting a new position at a company that I worked for in 2010, one of the guys that I had become friends with over the first few months comes into my office one morning to wish me well and explains that he is retiring that very second. The story he explained was the he and his wife went on a motorcycle ride and on the way home stopped at a store to get a couple of bottles of water. After they got home he was emptying his saddle bags and found his bottle of water that he did not drink so he opened it chugged half the bottle. Two days later he awoke in the hospital. Apparently the bottling company, let's just say think of the largest soft drink company known to man, used a clear chemical to clean their tanks in their facility and somehow bottled quite a few bottles; this is what he drank. He explained that the same day that he "woke up" a rep from the company visited him in the hospital to make arrangements to settle out of court and to keep this as quiet as possible. He did not go as far as to mention the dollar amount that was offered but he did say that his house was paid off, they were buying a vacation home, his kids college was taken care of and he would never have to work again.

A different co-worker, at the same company mentioned above, went to lunch on his motorcycle. As he approached a busy intersection a motorist turned left in front of him as he traversed straight ahead. He explained that he had no time to react and knew he was going to hit the guy. Quickly thinking he jumped straight up off his bike during impact and managed to jump completely over the hood of the car, landed on his feet and ran out of the impact. His bike was demolished, the right fender of the car ate his bike and he walked away without a scratch. He did say that his heels hurt from the impact of the landing but literally jumped over the accident and ran it out unscathed.
Appreciate 2
Joekerr7926.00
      03-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #53
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Former co-worker stories:

In 2002 I worked as a machine operator in a lumber processing facility. My shift started at 3:30 and I always arrived early to take inventory of the material that I would be processing that evening. Shortly after getting on the production floor I hear a blood curdling scream and see almost everyone running in the direction of the scream. All the machines stopped and the banshee-like screams continued. A woman wearing a loosely fitting t-shirt had reached over a rotating shaft to dislodge a boards being carried by a conveyor chain. The area that she reached over is where a sprocket was located. The sleeve of her shirt become entangled between the sprocket and chain. There was no e-stop located at this area. As the shirt was ripped off of her she was unable to get her arm out of it as it twisted around her eventually wrapping her entire right arm around the 8" diameter shaft up to her shoulder before someone could stop the machine. It literally shattered and forced every broken bone out of her skin as it rolled her arm into an 8" roll of what I can only describe as what the end of a tube of tooth paste looks like when you roll it to squeeze out the last the tooth paste. The rest of the evening at work was very quiet and somber. I still get chills thinking about seeing it. Needless to say, there was no saving her arm.

After starting a new position at a company that I worked for in 2010, one of the guys that I had become friends with over the first few months comes into my office one morning to wish me well and explains that he is retiring that very second. The story he explained was the he and his wife went on a motorcycle ride and on the way home stopped at a store to get a couple of bottles of water. After they got home he was emptying his saddle bags and found his bottle of water that he did not drink so he opened it chugged half the bottle. Two days later he awoke in the hospital. Apparently the bottling company, let's just say think of the largest soft drink company known to man, used a clear chemical to clean their tanks in their facility and somehow bottled quite a few bottles; this is what he drank. He explained that the same day that he "woke up" a rep from the company visited him in the hospital to make arrangements to settle out of court and to keep this as quiet as possible. He did not go as far as to mention the dollar amount that was offered but he did say that his house was paid off, they were buying a vacation home, his kids college was taken care of and he would never have to work again.

A different co-worker, at the same company mentioned above, went to lunch on his motorcycle. As he approached a busy intersection a motorist turned left in front of him as he traversed straight ahead. He explained that he had no time to react and knew he was going to hit the guy. Quickly thinking he jumped straight up off his bike during impact and managed to jump completely over the hood of the car, landed on his feet and ran out of the impact. His bike was demolished, the right fender of the car ate his bike and he walked away without a scratch. He did say that his heels hurt from the impact of the landing but literally jumped over the accident and ran it out unscathed.
(Note to self: Never be Now_Rudi s co-worker.)
That is all.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13152.00
kscarrol8775.50
UncleWede17872.50
      03-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #54
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, must've been interesting working alongside Batman.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #55
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

"A Bad Weekend"

In 1999, the wife is pregnant, I work for a finance company as a repoman. I'm on my way to work one morning and I am in a really bad accident where I was T-Boned in the middle of an intersection. I was turning left waiting on an RV to pass. The RV was in the left lane. Unbeknownst to me, there was a vehicle directly behind said RV in the right lane that merged into the left lane in the middle of the intersection. As the RV passes and I immediately begin to make my left turn, this is when the other vehicle (we could not see each other) changes lanes full speed into the passenger side of my 3 week old Mazda MX6. The impact broke my car in half. I instantly knew I was in trouble. I vaguely remember bits and pieces of what followed but this is what I recollect:

I instantly get out of my car, due to the impact I didn't have to open the door, I got out of the car by exiting through the opening behind my car door. I realize quickly that my right arm is in bad shape as it feels like it is on fire and due to the amount of blood that I was losing it felt like my arm from the elbow down was completely wet.....it was. My hand was at 12:00 on the steering wheel during impact and my right forearm caught most of the broken glass from my passenger side window. As I step around the cars to check on the the occupants of the other vehicle I notice the looks that I am getting from them. They look like they are looking at a dead man walking around. I remember asking them if they are ok and the driver immediately tells me that I need to sit down he is calling an ambulance. The passenger of the vehicle that struck me did not have a seat belt on and their face made contact with the windshield smashing a perfect spiderweb into the glass and dislocating the pinky on her right hand to where it was jutting out at a 90 degree angle from her hand. It was at this point when I noticed they had mirror tint on their windows and caught a glimpse of myself. It was similar to seeing a selfie created in one of those zombie pic apps. My nose was under my right eye at a 45 degree slant, I had a massive laceration on the bridge of my nose where the bone was sticking out and I had a waterfall of blood flowing down under. It was then I noticed blood was appearing on their car as I stood there, it was shooting out of my right arm. I remember going back to car to sit down until the ambulance arrived and slipping in my own blood and falling to the ground. I then remember sitting in my car and noticing their bumper was where my passenger seat should be. The passenger seat was folded in half and in the back seat. One of the on-lookers of the intersection was an EMT and was trying to assist me until the ambulance arrived. He was trying to hold my arm above my head as I was covering both of us in blood that just kept pouring from my face and arm. The next thing I remember is being in the ambulance and the EMT's asking me questions. They ask my name and I gave them my social security number, they asked my phone number and I gave them my address from when I was a small child. I was thinking to myself this isn't right but just could find the right information to provide them for some reason. I then remember being pulled out of the ambulance and my pregnant wife standing there and falling into hysterics as soon as she saw me. My head was in one of those orange block velcro things but I remember looking toward her and realizing how much blood I had lost as I was covered in it. This is where the memories stop......until Sunday.

The accident was on a Friday morning. I wake up on my sofa in my living room Sunday around 1:00 pm and my wife is nowhere to be found. I later found out that she left me alone to go eat lunch with her family at her grandparents. I suddenly realize and remember what had happened as soon as I try to move. The pain sets in quickly. I sit up and realize I can only see out of one eye then touch my face to find half my head covered in bandages, that's when I notice my arm is wrapped in bandages. I quickly realize that I am extremely hungry as I haven't eaten since Thursday night. I go to the kitchen and start looking for food. I open the freezer and see chicken patties. I grab some vegetable oil and put it in a pot, turn the stove eye on to let the oil heat and go sit on the sofa. The next thing I know, my wife comes busting through the front door screaming. My apartment is on fire. Apparently I passed back out and the kitchen is ablaze. I quickly run to the kitchen and see the fire coming from the pot of oil. Without thinking I grab a cup of water.....for those who know about grease fires should be cringing at this point. I douse the pot with the water and what comes next was nothing short of a scene from a movie. I see my pregnant wife out of the corner of my eye jumping toward the doorway of the kitchen in slow motion screaming NOOooooo.....

The flames shot up to the ceiling and instantly in a flash the entire kitchen explodes. The neighbors called the fire department and when they arrived I was still in the kitchen trying to put out the fire. Luckily I nor the wife was hurt in the fire, but that was hands down the worst weekend I have ever had.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #56
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
I quickly run to the kitchen and see the fire coming from the pot of oil. Without thinking I grab a cup of water.....
Come on dude, baking POWDER!!!!

warning, do not try this at home.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
      03-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #57
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
"A Bad Weekend"

In 1999, the wife is pregnant, I work for a finance company as a repoman. I'm on my way to work one morning and I am in a really bad accident where I was T-Boned in the middle of an intersection. I was turning left waiting on an RV to pass. The RV was in the left lane. Unbeknownst to me, there was a vehicle directly behind said RV in the right lane that merged into the left lane in the middle of the intersection. As the RV passes and I immediately begin to make my left turn, this is when the other vehicle (we could not see each other) changes lanes full speed into the passenger side of my 3 week old Mazda MX6. The impact broke my car in half. I instantly knew I was in trouble. I vaguely remember bits and pieces of what followed but this is what I recollect:

I instantly get out of my car, due to the impact I didn't have to open the door, I got out of the car by exiting through the opening behind my car door. I realize quickly that my right arm is in bad shape as it feels like it is on fire and due to the amount of blood that I was losing it felt like my arm from the elbow down was completely wet.....it was. My hand was at 12:00 on the steering wheel during impact and my right forearm caught most of the broken glass from my passenger side window. As I step around the cars to check on the the occupants of the other vehicle I notice the looks that I am getting from them. They look like they are looking at a dead man walking around. I remember asking them if they are ok and the driver immediately tells me that I need to sit down he is calling an ambulance. The passenger of the vehicle that struck me did not have a seat belt on and their face made contact with the windshield smashing a perfect spiderweb into the glass and dislocating the pinky on her right hand to where it was jutting out at a 90 degree angle from her hand. It was at this point when I noticed they had mirror tint on their windows and caught a glimpse of myself. It was similar to seeing a selfie created in one of those zombie pic apps. My nose was under my right eye at a 45 degree slant, I had a massive laceration on the bridge of my nose where the bone was sticking out and I had a waterfall of blood flowing down under. It was then I noticed blood was appearing on their car as I stood there, it was shooting out of my right arm. I remember going back to car to sit down until the ambulance arrived and slipping in my own blood and falling to the ground. I then remember sitting in my car and noticing their bumper was where my passenger seat should be. The passenger seat was folded in half and in the back seat. One of the on-lookers of the intersection was an EMT and was trying to assist me until the ambulance arrived. He was trying to hold my arm above my head as I was covering both of us in blood that just kept pouring from my face and arm. The next thing I remember is being in the ambulance and the EMT's asking me questions. They ask my name and I gave them my social security number, they asked my phone number and I gave them my address from when I was a small child. I was thinking to myself this isn't right but just could find the right information to provide them for some reason. I then remember being pulled out of the ambulance and my pregnant wife standing there and falling into hysterics as soon as she saw me. My head was in one of those orange block velcro things but I remember looking toward her and realizing how much blood I had lost as I was covered in it. This is where the memories stop......until Sunday.

The accident was on a Friday morning. I wake up on my sofa in my living room Sunday around 1:00 pm and my wife is nowhere to be found. I later found out that she left me alone to go eat lunch with her family at her grandparents. I suddenly realize and remember what had happened as soon as I try to move. The pain sets in quickly. I sit up and realize I can only see out of one eye then touch my face to find half my head covered in bandages, that's when I notice my arm is wrapped in bandages. I quickly realize that I am extremely hungry as I haven't eaten since Thursday night. I go to the kitchen and start looking for food. I open the freezer and see chicken patties. I grab some vegetable oil and put it in a pot, turn the stove eye on to let the oil heat and go sit on the sofa. The next thing I know, my wife comes busting through the front door screaming. My apartment is on fire. Apparently I passed back out and the kitchen is ablaze. I quickly run to the kitchen and see the fire coming from the pot of oil. Without thinking I grab a cup of water.....for those who know about grease fires should be cringing at this point. I douse the pot with the water and what comes next was nothing short of a scene from a movie. I see my pregnant wife out of the corner of my eye jumping toward the doorway of the kitchen in slow motion screaming NOOooooo.....

The flames shot up to the ceiling and instantly in a flash the entire kitchen explodes. The neighbors called the fire department and when they arrived I was still in the kitchen trying to put out the fire. Luckily I nor the wife was hurt in the fire, but that was hands down the worst weekend I have ever had.
(2nd note to self: Never let Now_Rudi drive or cook.)
That is all.
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #58
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Come on dude, baking POWDER!!!!

warning, do not try this at home.
Clearly I was not in the right frame of mind. I will claim to two things here. One, I had never had a grease fire before and two, I was out of my damn mind and not fully cognitive by any stretch.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      03-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #59
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
(2nd note to self: Never let Now_Rudi drive or cook.)
That is all.
For a while, I was indeed a danger to myself any anyone around me. It's amazing that my ex-wife and children survived living with me.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      03-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #60
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Friend in Accident 5 Weeks Ago

A gentleman who is one of the technicians that works on the cars in our group was T-boned by an 18 wheeler as he was leaving the shop. It took about an hour to cut him out of the car, seen below. He coded on the table once and was just brought out of the medically induced coma yesterday. At his worst he had 5 breathing tubes in his chest and was basically hooked up to every machine possible in the ICU. There was scarcely room to stand in the place. He's a great man and a real car guy.

Godspeed Nick. Get better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #61
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Awful to see, hope he has a full recovery.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      03-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #62
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

What happened to gravity in the first pic???
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #63
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
For a while, I was indeed a danger to myself any anyone around me. It's amazing that my ex-wife and children survived living with me.
Somewhat similar to the year I destroyed 3 cars with none of the accidents being my fault. Sometimes it just happens...
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #64
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Wait, what? Rudi, the wife left you alone on the sofa? Huh?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #65
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

The plastic surgeon we worked with for a while was super proud of a reconstruction he did on a gentleman who got his pants caught in machinery. As it was going it created a 'degloving' injury that affected him from about thigh to navel, including those parts most precious to us all. Some of the hardest pics I've seen in a grand rounds, but they did get him reconstructed and functional. It made sense of all the 'overcautious BS' from shop teachers about no long sleeves. Also had a peer weld his class ring to a frame rail by removing the starter w/o disconnecting the battery - caught the ring finger between the hot lead of the solenoid and the frame and it instantly spot welded it in place. That was late spring of senior year so never found out if he kept anything of the finger (he didn't return to school that year).
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
      03-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #66
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Wait, what? Rudi, the wife left you alone on the sofa? Huh?
This is what I don't get either... they released you from the hospital before you even woke up and then she left you alone to eat with her family? I think she was trying to get rid of you.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00