Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-24-2020, 05:25 AM   #1
the.i8
Rep
Drives: Bmw i8

Easy way to tint headlights with plastidip.

Hello everyone!

Because of the quarentaine over here, I've got plenty of free time now.
So I decided to tint my headlights. I used to try to tint it with tinting film but with no succes (I kept tearing the film lol). For the amateur DIY'er like myself I found an easy way to do it with plastidip.

for anyone that is interested to tint their headlights.
Here is how I did it in the following order:
-1 thin coat of black plastidip
-1 coat of glossifier
-1 thin coat of black plastidip
-3 coats of glossifier

The light seemed to pass through the dip pretty well.

here's a video of the progress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiMbs-I0tyQ
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
Michael S.
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, 650M sport, 230i, DB9

Uyyy.. Paint on headlights scares me, what if you want to reverse it in the future, I suggest you use smoked carbon fiber wrap , it will give you a great tint effect with carbon fiber look and you can always reverse, I did that years ago on an Aston Martin.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
the.i8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S. View Post
Uyyy.. Paint on headlights scares me, what if you want to reverse it in the future, I suggest you use smoked carbon fiber wrap , it will give you a great tint effect with carbon fiber look and you can always reverse, I did that years ago on an Aston Martin.
it's peelable. the paint that I used is called plastidip liquid on application but wrap-like when removing.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
2sak2furious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 coupe

Looks cool - what does adding the glossifier do? Ie, what’s the difference in appearance if you just do plastidip without gloss. I guess I’m setting myself up for “less glossy” but wanted to know if you tried without gloss before.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #5
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

I applaud the ingenuity but something keeps nagging at me - why would you want to darken the headlights when you need light to drive at night? I know this is only a marginal loss but I never take an eye test with sunglasses on - I want as much light as I can get into my eyes for the best vision.

Have to agree that it looks cool - just not for me...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #6
the.i8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sak2furious View Post
Looks cool - what does adding the glossifier do? Ie, what’s the difference in appearance if you just do plastidip without gloss. I guess I’m setting myself up for “less glossy” but wanted to know if you tried without gloss before.
Never tried without gloss before. But the process showed me, when I use glossifier over the matte, it makes it look more wrap-like instead of matte paint. makes it better blend in.
Like you said, glossifier makes it more glossy
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
the.i8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
I applaud the ingenuity but something keeps nagging at me - why would you want to darken the headlights when you need light to drive at night? I know this is only a marginal loss but I never take an eye test with sunglasses on - I want as much light as I can get into my eyes for the best vision.

Have to agree that it looks cool - just not for me...
That's oké. I guess it's just personal preferances. At night I almost see no difference, since the paint isn't applied too thick. But you're right about the marignal loss. It's like maybe 5%? but not really visible with the eye. I mostly drive at day time and really like the "blacked out" look.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #8
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.i8 View Post
That's oké. I guess it's just personal preferences. At night I almost see no difference, since the paint isn't applied too thick. But you're right about the marginal loss. It's like maybe 5%? but not really visible with the eye. I mostly drive at day time and really like the "blacked out" look.
Cool - I'm fortunate to have laser lights so you can probably imagine that they are... "BRIGHT"!!!
Appreciate 0