BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

12-02-2023, 03:17 PM   #1
27df
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ix

Rim Swap

Hey so I got my 2024 ix. I love the car but I think I would prefer the 22inch rims over 21 inch ones I ordered the car with.

How do I go about getting the 22inch ones from bmw and what is the most cost effective way to do this ?

I do not want to keep the 21s obv so would bmw buy them back by any chance or can I sell them privately?

Thanks in advance for any help
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 03:37 PM   #2
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
I considered this as well. The 22 inch rims look a lot better. But no matter how I sliced it I couldn't figure out how to do it without losing thousands of dollars. Since you need both wheels and tires, it's hard to sell the old ones, and there's no discounts on the new ones!!

End the end, I stayed with the 21's since the ride is a little smoother, and I figured I could eventually get them powder coated a different color if I really wanted to a different look!
Appreciate 3
Road Trip1370.50
deutsch1003946.50
      12-02-2023, 04:15 PM   #3
27df
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ix

I've read some other cal dealerships sometimes will swap them and then you just have to pay the difference. Plus the tires in our case.

Did you try anything like this at your dealer?
Appreciate 1
Road Trip1370.50
      12-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #4
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27df View Post
How do I go about getting the 22inch ones from bmw and what is the most cost effective way to do this ?
You'd have to forget you ever had the idea in the first place.
21 is the new 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27df View Post
I do not want to keep the 21s obv so would bmw buy them back by any chance or can I sell them privately?
Your dealer may be willing to buy them off you. If the are used, even a tiny bit, expect to lose quite a bit. Privately you can sell bathwater so yeah you can sell the wheels toobut the current market for parts is not going to be very hot. You can get lucky.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 06:02 PM   #5
ricerboi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i, G30 M550i, iX 50i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX 50i  [7.50]
Sell your 21’s or keep them for winter. Get aftermarket 22’s unless you’re unnaturally stuck to OE.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 02:33 PM   #6
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
I’m in the opposite court. Although the 22 inch wheels look nicer, I’d prefer more rubber and less cost. I could then only have winter and summer tyres and swap them rather than the whole wheels (previously my BMWs were RFTs so couldn’t keep changing the tyres only).

So… if you’re in the UK and want the 22 inchers I might consider selling them on…
Appreciate 1
ricerboi836.00
      12-03-2023, 03:22 PM   #7
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
I’m in the opposite court. Although the 22 inch wheels look nicer, I’d prefer more rubber and less cost. I could then only have winter and summer tyres and swap them rather than the whole wheels (previously my BMWs were RFTs so couldn’t keep changing the tyres only).

So… if you’re in the UK and want the 22 inchers I might consider selling them on…
First, you most definitely can swap out run flats. It may be more difficult to do without causing damage to the wheel, but still very doable by a good shop.

Second, a good inexpensive aftermarket set for winter can pay for itself over a few years. You don't need to pay to rebalance the tires each time and swapping becomes very easy and can be very cheap. Then when you are done with the car and no longer need them, you can sell them to get back some of the initial cost. If you can get steelies of the right size (I haven't done this for my BMWs), you can save the equivalent cost in like 4 years or less (depending on costs at your shop). If you get alloys, the savings offset the price and then you can resell them at trade-in(what I did twice) or privately unless they happen to fit your new car. Another advantage is that in slippery winter conditions, you are more likely to damage a wheel.... And you'd rather have to replace your steelie or aftermarket alloy instead of an OEM rim due to the price difference.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK443.00
      12-03-2023, 05:06 PM   #8
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
First, you most definitely can swap out run flats. It may be more difficult to do without causing damage to the wheel, but still very doable by a good shop.

Second, a good inexpensive aftermarket set for winter can pay for itself over a few years.
…..
Thanks for the advice and yes I’d heard of getting RFTs swapped but lots of places I spoke to wouldnt guarantee the life or efficacy of the rft if it was swapped. The wheel swaps on 2 cars takes me the better part of a day to do basically and is quite strenuous on my back - every 6 months gets a bit annoying. A good shop near me swaps them for £20 which is probably worth it tbh but still needs me to load and unload the car.

I couldn’t find winter tyres for the IX that’s bmw approved - and the tyre guys I spoke to advised against going with the same sizes without the star mark. So I got a set of 21 inch wheels with winters from my bmw garage for £3200. I won’t get anywhere near that back after I sell.

However I realised when unloading the car I think the 22 inch wheels are lighter than my 20 inch x5 and 19 inch 5 series wheels with RFTs. I saw on this forum people talking about alignment tools for the lug nuts etc so there may be a few tools to make it easier on my back… so might just hang on to the 22s and see how it goes…
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2448.00
      12-03-2023, 05:28 PM   #9
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice and yes I’d heard of getting RFTs swapped but lots of places I spoke to wouldnt guarantee the life or efficacy of the rft if it was swapped. The wheel swaps on 2 cars takes me the better part of a day to do basically and is quite strenuous on my back - every 6 months gets a bit annoying. A good shop near me swaps them for £20 which is probably worth it tbh but still needs me to load and unload the car.
After doing this for 2 cars every 6 months for years, I hurt my back and did them manually for my X5 and regretted it. Then my little garage started offering storage for the tires and I decided to give it a try. It was the best. I felt silly bringing my E30 wheels back home that time and just said screw it and the next swap, I paid for those 14" wheels to be stored too.

Now we have 3 cars and they all have the other set sitting there. Well worth it. Costs me 40$ CAD each set per season but it makes the experience so much nicer.

Quote:
I couldn’t find winter tyres for the IX that’s bmw approved - and the tyre guys I spoke to advised against going with the same sizes without the star mark. So I got a set of 21 inch wheels with winters from my bmw garage for £3200. I won’t get anywhere near that back after I sell.
Although yes the * rated ones are slightly different, requiring you to use them is nothing short of a scam. On this side of the pond, they cannot void a warranty on anything because of it; they'd need to prove that it was the cause of the failure which is just not going to happen. On your side, it may not be so consumer friendly but it is a scam nonetheless as the * marked ones are most likely more expensive.
Appreciate 2
ZigmundUK443.00
ricerboi836.00
      12-03-2023, 05:59 PM   #10
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Although yes the * rated ones are slightly different, requiring you to use them is nothing short of a scam. On this side of the pond, they cannot void a warranty on anything because of it; they'd need to prove that it was the cause of the failure which is just not going to happen. On your side, it may not be so consumer friendly but it is a scam nonetheless as the * marked ones are most likely more expensive.
Yeah this feels crap. Add to this the new tyres are all foam lined for quietness and it meant the screw that was in my summer tyre a week ago couldn’t be repaired. Or rather the garages I asked said they weren’t comfortable repairing it given they’d have to cut out the foam etc etc. The tyre/wheels business is all a bit of a scam at the moment.

Glad you found a storage place. Here storage was a big thing about 10-15 years ago but I think garages realised there’s too much can go wrong and claims from customers etc must not be worth it. I’ll try to get my sons into it - get them going with some wax-on-wax-off action
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2448.00