BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #45
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Wow, this is terrible!

Today while trying to refuel, the same problem happened, and this time that fuel system error showed up. I manually released after a while, and all was well.
After a solid 3 hour drive (300 miles), I fueled up again, but this time no problem.

Is the worst case scenario just the nuisance of having the manually open the fuel door?
Just wondering what I should prepare myself for since I'm doing a lot of highway driving.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #46
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
Wow, this is terrible!

Is the worst case scenario just the nuisance of having the manually open the fuel door?
Yes that's all. But it will begin to happen every single time.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #47
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Follow up

Following up on my previous post in this thread. BMW replaced the pressure sensor (and, looking at the invoice, this meant replacing the fuel tank!) under warranty and I've not had the problem since. The cost, if it had not been under warranty, would've been close to $2000... so something to consider if anyone is purchasing this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:53 PM   #48
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPaterson View Post
Following up on my previous post in this thread. BMW replaced the pressure sensor (and, looking at the invoice, this meant replacing the fuel tank!) under warranty and I've not had the problem since. The cost, if it had not been under warranty, would've been close to $2000... so something to consider if anyone is purchasing this car.
How long was your car in the shop to get this repair done?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:56 PM   #49
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Yes that's all. But it will begin to happen every single time.
Well I guess that's good to know, that it's just going to be a PIA only.
Yes, it's already starting to be more frequent.

There's really only about 5 months left in the driving season where I live, and and about 10 months on this lease. So, definitely don't want to waste any time of the driving season with the car in the shop.
I'll probably leave the repair for the off season, or to BMW on return of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:59 AM   #50
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
My 2017 i8 has just started having the fuel tank issues too, the pressure is not working out, so I have had to twice now use the manual emergency release. I hoped that as a later model they may have sorted this, but clearly not. Looks like this could be an ongoing problem for the i8 and unless they find a permanent fix the cars achilles heel. Seems like over engineering to me in the original design, so there must be a simple solution.
Took my i8 into the dealer yesterday, diagnosed as the faulty fuel tank pressure sensor, so in for a couple of days whilst they fix it, no arguments about it being under the warranty and a begrudging nod when I said 'its a common issue this huh?' Amazing that BMW haven't worked out a permanent fix for it, it must be costing them millions.

Do the 3, 5 and X5 series hybrids have a similar system or is it unique to the i8?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #51
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, and sadly it will happen again. I'm on my 3rd sensor.

1-2 weeks each time to fix (I think it's a 4-5 day job). All under warranty, but costing BMW a small fortune.

Appalling over-engineering, just for a few emission eco points.

A simple timer + pressure release would do effectively the same job, with virtually no failure risk.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 02:01 AM   #52
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Ok...so just to be clear/

I've had 2 i8s and never had this issue. If it were to occur- worst case scenario is using the emergency manual release until serviced right?

Considering driving it down to my home in GDL, so just making sure I'm not going to get stuck without gas in the Mexican desert.
      06-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #53
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Ok...so just to be clear/

I've had 2 i8s and never had this issue. If it were to occur- worst case scenario is using the emergency manual release until serviced right?

Considering driving it down to my home in GDL, so just making sure I'm not going to get stuck without gas in the Mexican desert.
Yes, correct, pull the emergency release in the right hand compartment of the luggage bay (boot/trunk). Easy to find, just a pita!
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #54
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Picked the car back up today, complete new fuel tank and sensor, lets see how long this one lasts! All done under warranty, no debate at all.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #55
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
For peace of mind- Can I fake it and say I had that issue so that they can go ahead and change it?

Bought mine, but it now has 38k on the odometer, and with my luck- I'll start having the issue when the odometer goes 1 mile over the manufacturers warranty.
      06-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #56
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
For peace of mind- Can I fake it and say I had that issue so that they can go ahead and change it?

No, because the lie will be obvious.

The i8 reports the fail to refuel, as well as sensor fault codes.

And you will not get stuck. As stated above, the emergency release will open the fuel cover no matter what.
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #57
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Quote:

No, because the lie will be obvious.

The i8 reports the fail to refuel, as well as sensor fault codes.
Thought so.

Oh well, let's hope I was one of the few lucky ones with a hassle free gas tank
      06-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #58
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
This whole fuel door lock is turning out to be a pain. Considering leaving the car for days at the dealer and still having the possibility of the pressure sensor failing again after the repair.... thinking of a permanent solution.

The fueling system knows that the fuel door is closed because of a small magnet located on the door that trips a reed switch when the door is closed. After the door is closed the system activates a small plastic pin that passes through a hole on a plastic tab on the door to lock the door shut. If you block the hole, the pin mechanism is unable to extend and lock the door, but the check engine light illuminates.

But if you open up the hole in the small plastic tab, then the pin can be activated when the door is closed and the system is happy, but the door won’t be locked.

The door is then never locked and there is no reason to activate the refueling button on the drivers door panel ever again. The fuel door will stay closed just like the door on the charging port which has no locking mechanism. Just press on the fuel door and it will pop open as always, then remove the fuel cap for refueling.

I don’t need to lock the fuel door for vandalism or fuel theft concerns.

Opening the fuel tank while it might still be pressurized or under a vacuum, ( not sure which) is not an issue. The locking mechanism is likely only for emission reasons to keep a few hydrocarbons from escaping.

I think this will be my solution when the system starts to fail on a regular basis.

It’s a free, permanent fix that takes 2 minutes to accomplish.

Last edited by Coastali8; 06-22-2019 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #59
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
This whole fuel door lock is turning out to be a pain. Considering leaving the car for days at the dealer and still having the possibility of the pressure sensor failing again after the repair.... thinking of a permanent solution.

The fueling system knows that the fuel door is closed because of a small magnet located on the door that trips a reed switch when the door is closed. After the door is closed the system activates a small plastic pin that passes through a hole on a plastic tab on the door to lock the door shut. If you block the hole, the pin mechanism is unable to extend and lock the door, but the check engine light illuminates.

But if you open up the hole in the small plastic tab, then the pin can be activated when the door is closed and the system is happy, but the door won’t be locked.

The door is then never locked and there is no reason to activate the refueling button on the drivers door panel ever again. The fuel door will stay closed just like the door on the charging port which has no locking mechanism. Just press on the fuel door and it will pop open as always, then remove the fuel cap for refueling.

I don’t need to lock the fuel door for vandalism or fuel theft concerns.

Opening the fuel tank while it might still be pressurized or under a vacuum, ( not sure which) is not an issue. The locking mechanism is likely only for emission reasons to keep a few hydrocarbons from escaping.

I think this will be my solution when the system starts to fail on a regular basis.

It’s a free, permanent fix that takes 2 minutes to accomplish.
I'd come to the exact same conclusion and would be my solution if I had the issue on a car out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #60
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

issue w 2019 model?

Has anyone w a 2019 had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #61
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post

Pressurised, not vacuum.

Yes, it's just to stop hydrocarbons escaping (emissions).

Over-engineering at its very finest
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #62
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
How long was your car in the shop to get this repair done?
Sorry for delay in replying. From memory, it was in the shop for 3-4 days since they had to go to a major city (Melbourne) to get the part. It's also a fairly big job, from what they said.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #63
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

It's crazy BMW is still having issues with this.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #64
ken997
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

My car is saying "Refueling Possible" but the fuel door remains locked. Even pulling the
Green tab in the boot doesn't release the door. Any ideas or do I
Just need to pull the green cord harder? Im afraid I might pull the green cord out!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #65
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
The green cord should release it, unless the spring has gone which pops the door open. Not heard of this issue before, so perhaps it is a broken release spring. What happens when you push the door to 'pop' it open? Does it release and then can you lever it gently open?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #66
ken997
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

Yes the door pops open a few millimeters when I phsh the botton on the driver's door, but it wont fully release the door. Ill try have a mate pull on the door while i pull the cord. That should do it..

Last edited by ken997; 01-19-2020 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0