Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-01-2023, 04:36 AM   #1
avdept
Rep
Drives: None

Maintenance after 60k miles

Hey folks. So I have opportunity to get relatively cheap 2017 i8, with about 60k miles. As of now it works good, no major issues with battery, engine or transmission. However I was wondering what should I expect from car with 60k miles? It's not new - 8 years and have some relatively big mileage and I would not want to keep car in service 2/3 year.

I'm have my own service station, have access to "below market prices", and would be doing most of stuff myself. So my question is - is it worth to put ~$45k into 2017 i8 with 60k miles on it?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 08:36 AM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
I occasionally look at the i8’s that are listed for sale with high mileage to see if they have a link posted to Carfax. I am interested to see what kind of issues that have been fixed on the car over the years. Mostly I see nothing reported besides normal service, oil changes, etc. occasionally I see an air conditioner compressor replacement which is kind of normal on pre LCI cars. A fair amount of checking of engine software seems also to be common, but no real issues stand out.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 07:40 AM   #3
avdept
Rep
Drives: None

Good to know. I did google myself but didn't find anything outstanding or critical. Thanks. Will see how it goes
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 11:55 AM   #4
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdept View Post
Hey folks. So I have opportunity to get relatively cheap 2017 i8, with about 60k miles. As of now it works good, no major issues with battery, engine or transmission. However I was wondering what should I expect from car with 60k miles? It's not new - 8 years and have some relatively big mileage and I would not want to keep car in service 2/3 year.

I'm have my own service station, have access to "below market prices", and would be doing most of stuff myself. So my question is - is it worth to put ~$45k into 2017 i8 with 60k miles on it?
My friend recently bought a white i8 for 50,000 with 30,000 miles. His biggest complaint is battery degregation. The 3 cylinder isn’t powerful enough just on gas. It’s a true hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 08:33 AM   #5
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

That will the biggest problem with all used electric/hybrid cars. They do not like the batteries getting completely discharged. If dealer does not keep a car on a charger when parked on the lot for extended periods of time it will lead to battery degradation and apart from checking the battery capacity i am not aware of anyway to track the dealers habits while cars are on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 12:04 PM   #6
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
That will the biggest problem with all used electric/hybrid cars. They do not like the batteries getting completely discharged. If dealer does not keep a car on a charger when parked on the lot for extended periods of time it will lead to battery degradation and apart from checking the battery capacity i am not aware of anyway to track the dealers habits while cars are on the lot.
That is an important assessment. For example, bought mine in 2014 and when in storage during winters in Chicago, has been on the charger the entire time. Battery capacity as well as 12V battery have full capacity after 8 years, which I find amazing.
Appreciate 0