BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

05-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Brand New B&G S2 Sport springs FOR SALE

I have a brand new set of B&G springs for the i3. I bought them for $240 OTD and willing to let them go for $150 plus shipping. They lower the car by 1" all the way around and are very comfortable. I rode in another i3 with those springs and that was the reason I decided to get them. They sat in my garage and by the time I realized I had to return the lease. I have no use for them. Again, they are brand new, never used.
      05-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #2
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Alfa, 500 Abarth

REX or BEV?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:39 PM   #3
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBomb View Post
REX or BEV?
I had a BEV, but B&G doesn't specify a different part number for the REX.
      05-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Bump.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep

Bought..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBomb View Post
Bought..
Feel free to drop by if you need installation. Would also like to also measure to see how they compare to H&R/AST brands.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Feel free to drop by if you need installation. Would also like to also measure to see how they compare to H&R/AST brands.
Installed them today.
Rumor has it that B&G and AST worked together on the springs they both offer, and supposedly they are the same drop, same specs, so they should offer the same stance as the pictures you took of the AST install. Also, they are linear, no dead coils like a progressive spring. I haven't spent any time in the car yet to give a real world comparison, but I have to assume they will be a fair amount stiffer than stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #8
dapper
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW i3

Buzzbomb, once you get some seat time, could you kindly post some of your thoughts. Would love to hear how they fair vs the OEM springs.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper View Post
Buzzbomb, once you get some seat time, could you kindly post some of your thoughts. Would love to hear how they fair vs the OEM springs.
Just to be clear about the install, the fronts were pretty standard as far as R&R.
The rear, which are usually easier, were a bit more labor intensive with one person. In putting these springs in, I retained the OEM shocks/struts, but I removed one "bulb" from the front bump stops, I left the rear bumps alone. If, fully weighted, the rear feels like it bottoms out at all, I may shorten the rear bump stops too. I may do a write-up if people want that kind of info.

Now that I've spent some commute time on the lowering springs, There are some notable differences.
First, my main reason for wanting these is for handling, second would be stance.
The first thing I noticed that I didn't really enjoy in its stock form is the upside-down pendulum feel when at cruising speed over uneven surfaces. The center of gravity is high, and it felt exaggerated when going into any kind of banked turn, or just feeling tippy in general. Lowering the car definitely helps with the amount of pendulum sway at speed. The car used to have a mushiness that also has been reduced.
Being a linear type spring, I was expecting a harsher bounce over a bump, but it really isn't the case here. In fact, the ride over uneven surfaces hasn't gotten much harsher. It feels pretty nimble. So far, I'm pretty happy with the ride. I have other cars that have been modified to be the fun car in the family, this one being the grownup car. I don't usually take passengers in my other cars, this one would be for that still.
The only thing that I haven't done is load up the car with weight (passengers, etc) and see how it rides. I had a full car with luggage a bit ago while still using the OEM springs and the car didn't feel much different than unweighted (just me).
I also like the new stance. It really isn't that much lower, in fact I would think this is where the car should have been from the factory. Any reduction in the road to undercarriage height is a good thing, for both fuel(energy) efficiency and drag. I had a FIAT 500e and it was common knowledge on the boards that lowering it helped to increase range. Being a 2014 model, any increase, if it happens, is welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

That is great feedback. Can you post pics before and after?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #11
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep

Here are a few photos for anyone interested:

Pretty big difference in unsprung length...
They are advertised as a progressive spring. I think not.
Attached Images

Last edited by BuzzBomb; 06-12-2019 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #12
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep

Pretty straightforward install.
Those are new strut bellows. The original ones were shredded for some reason. While you're in there...
Attached Images

Last edited by BuzzBomb; 06-12-2019 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #13
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep

I didn't take a before picture, so You'll have to refer to your own car's height for comparison. Sorry. Here is it finished. It still doesn't look like a "lowered" car, but it definitely looks where it should be as far as I'm concerned.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #14
dapper
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW i3

Thanks BuzzBomb, you have swayed me towards some springs. Car looks great btw. Is yours a REX?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #15
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper View Post
Thanks BuzzBomb, you have swayed me towards some springs. Car looks great btw. Is yours a REX?
Thanks. I went by Crevier today and got a free wash, which was nice. I’m all electric. I spent a bit of time trying to decide between electric and extended range. I figured since the BEV gets a little farther since it’s lighter, it’s enough since I have chargers pretty much everywhere I need to go. Plus I have a few gas guzzlers that I can use if I need to go any real distance.
Appreciate 0