BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Yesterday, 01:53 AM   #23
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

op, how far is your round trip daily commute? my daily commute is 52 miles. my electric smart car makes it with about 10% range to spare, but its mostly highway driving at 83 [limited] mph.
i bought the car for $5,600. it costs me about a dollar a day to charge. the car is surprisingly fun to drive, and not slow. this is the cheapest transportation you can get on four wheels. give one a try.

Yesterday, 06:30 AM   #24
robotk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

If you want a Tesla, don't bother with the financial arguments. They are specious at best. A cheap high efficiency ICE is hard to beat. You want something more high end-ish, that also saves money on gas. To be honest, if gas prices are causing a financial pinch, you probably need to be in something more affordable, like a Civic. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in that.

The environmental arguments are also questionable. I suspect keeping your car instead of dumping another used car out into the world is better for the environment.

Teslas are crazy fast, which is cool. But that will get old. In the end, handling, feel, and character will win out. The crappy interior quality may start to grate on you. Food for thought.

If there is an extended warranty, get it. The idea of a used Tesla outside warranty give me the chills. I've heard that their aftermarket support is superficially good, but God help you if something major goes wrong or if you are in an accident.
      Yesterday, 08:40 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
$6000 civic + 87 octane which is about 2.50 a gal here. i drive 80x5 = 400 miles a week. 32mpg on the highway average 80mph. so I use 12.5 gal x $2.50 = 32 bucks a week. $1500 a year. (daily driving a car that only takes 93, while fun, is going to eat through alot of money. My f30 335 at through over $ 2100/year by comparison).

it'll be a while before a $35000 tesla becomes a better financial decision for me than a used civic. But eventually i'd like to do it.
I do 800 miles a week commute to work, so double what you do. I know it's rough math for your numbers, but it works out to 7.8 cents/mile for your gas cost. I keep real accurate transportation costs for my cars. So my E90, which has been my primary DD for 12 years has cost me 11.9 cents per mile just for gas cost; my data is from 3 miles though 361,500 (last time I updated my spreadsheet). So that's about 4 cents per mile difference, but I've gotten to drive a BMW all those miles vs. a Civic

But gas cost is not the only cost involved. Total cost of ownership in cents-per-mile is the real metric. My E90 has cost me 31.5 cents per mile for 361,500 miles. I've run the numbers every way I can think of, and replacing my E90 with a new Tesla Model 3 doesn't pay its self back as compared to a reasonably-priced, adequately performing sedan, say an Accord Sport, the Tesla pays its self back at around 250,000 and that's assuming the battery doesn't need replacement.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:54 AM   #26
P1et
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: my wife's cars

I wouldn’t mind a hybrid or electric vehicle, but it won’t be a Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #27
allinon72
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' M3, 17' X1

I don't know how performance vehicle ownership even exists in California due to the high cost of....everything. That said, a knee jerk reaction into a Tesla might be a mistake. It's important to cut through all the Apple-esque hype and realize what you're really getting, which in my opinion is a quick launcher with poor fit and finish and questionable interior design. And there will be significant battery maintenance costs above 100k.
Appreciate 1
P1et4935.00

Yesterday, 10:15 AM   #28
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I don't know how performance vehicle ownership even exists in California due to the high cost of....everything. That said, a knee jerk reaction into a Tesla might be a mistake. It's important to cut through all the Apple-esque hype and realize what you're really getting, which in my opinion is a quick launcher with poor fit and finish and questionable interior design. And there will be significant battery maintenance costs above 100k.
I've tried as best I can to research EV battery life. I'm not sure the data is in on battery life. There are a few EVs with 200,000 miles on the original battery. There is a GM factory worker that drives a Volt a whole bunch of miles to work everyday, and I think he was reaching 300,000 on the original battery.

Ford did a fleet study of Hybrid Escapes it has in San Francisco. The SAE report I read said they lost just 2 battery cells out of a fleet of 100 Escapes and something like 1M total miles.

My problem with my commute is I can't buy an EV for under $40K that gives me enough winter season range. I can't charge at work. I was going to buy a Bolt when they came out, but the winter range was iffy to give me the 175 mile minimum I need.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #29
BigHunk
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

With model S you're getting free super charging,that if car is produced before January 2017.
Warranty on battery is 8 years unlimited mileage.
      Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #30
RS DAVE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
With gas now over $4 a gallon in Cali, I started snooping around Auto Trader for used Model S prices. I was shocked to see they are in the mid-$30k range for decent examples. My wife commutes over 50 miles each way, so the gas money saved would cover most of the payment, and you gotta love the carpool sticker.

I test drove one today with a great price and only 43k miles. I love how much instant torque there is. Iím not in love with the interior, but it was spacious. Hopefully the upcoming i4 will be as good looking as my F32. Unfortunately it wonít be here until 2021, while I might be hopping on the BEV bandwagon very soon.
$4 a gallon? try £6 a gallon in the uk. what's that around $8 a gallon, in your money? we get fucking raped here. as soon as the green lot get onto how much pollution it takes just to make the battery's for the Tesla, they will be a short lived thing of the past.....
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #31
SoCal_NSX
Captain
Rep
Drives: NSX/428/is250/Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS DAVE View Post
$4 a gallon? try £6 a gallon in the uk. what's that around $8 a gallon, in your money? we get fucking raped here. as soon as the green lot get onto how much pollution it takes just to make the battery's for the Tesla, they will be a short lived thing of the past.....
Yeah that is nuts! That's why everyone takes mass transit or drives small cars over there....here in Cali, no one takes mass transit and most people commute 30 miles or more for work. The rest of the country pays about a dollar less per gallon than the taxed and manipulated California market. More and more EV's are taking to the road these days and it seems the gas companies are feeling the effects and trying to squeeze as much money as they can while they can.... EV's are the future and aren't going away any time soon....the ranges are getting better and the major automakers are finally figuring out how to make good looking EV's that people want to drive. Gas sucking combustion engines will be a thing of the past long before the electrics I'm afraid

Thing is dealerships are frightened by EV's because they need much less service, which means less money for the dealerships service department... there are a few articles about this out there right now.

It's a myth made up by the oil industry that the tesla battery is worse than combustion engine for the environment...here is a rather boring video explaining it and some other interesting videos about the auto industry and the EV-olution

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; Yesterday at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #32
MisterF80M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Why not lease a Prius C? 50MPG highway/city. Lease payments would be under $200.

"Lease the Prius C ONE for $177 per month for 36 months or Purchase with the sale price of $19,477."
      Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #33
SoCal_NSX
Captain
Rep
Drives: NSX/428/is250/Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Why not lease a Prius C? 50MPG highway/city. Lease payments would be under $200.

"Lease the Prius C ONE for $177 per month for 36 months or Purchase with the sale price of $19,477."
Although that is a great deal, I'm not looking to go from a F32 to a Prius.... my wife wouldn't be too happy about that either...we tried the cheap econo box car before and she hated it.(thank god)

Also, Leases restrict mileage and would make it not worth it for a 100 mile a day commuter like my wife is.

My whole idea is to get into a car I've always wanted like a CPO Model S in exchange for the f32 ... yes the payment might go up a bit, but the money you save in gas would more than make up for it...especially the longer you keep it.

It is all but a daydream at this point, but what would us car freaks be without them

Just a PITA selling a car and I'm sure to take a bit of a hit, so we'll see

Anybody looking for a sweet looking CPO 428i M-sport with 23K miles?

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:58 PM   #34
scostu
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Shell premium ........$3.14/gallon

ETHANOL FREE 93....$3.59/gallon

Near Me.

Retired:2014 F31, 2013 Audi Q5 3.0T,
2013 Jeep WK2..Hemi, 2011 E90, 2008 E70, 2004 E46
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #35
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

it cost me $2.86 to charge my car from nearly 0% to 100% today after traveling 51 miles. if i drove the m3, at 17 mpg, it would have cost me $12.78 in gas using my local gas stations rate.
pretend there are 23 work days this month. thats roughly $65.78 in electricity versus $293.94 in gas. thats a $228.16 delta. i'm literally driving this car for free after all costs are considered. the delta grows as you compare costs like brakes, tires, and maintenance.