vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Are there actually other ways to keep it off my record or do I have to swallow this one? I have a clean driving record within the past 3 years.
I don't know how things work in Texas, but up here in New Yorkistan the prosecutors will frequently bargain speeding tickets down to lower speeds or in many cases to non-moving violations, to prevent an insurance hit for the speeding ticket. Go to court and see what they offer.....
      02-05-2020, 10:13 PM   #574
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Edina is in the states -it feels like a foreign country, but they're actually 'muricans. (when I lived in Minneapolis they used to say Edina stood for 'Every Day I Need Attention' - kind of an entitled little suburb IIRC).
It still is somewhat....but it has lost some of its status to some of the affluent suburbs.
      02-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #575
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Uncontrolled T intersection: the person crossing the T has RoW?
Is this a serious question?
You want the person going straight to stop for the person making the turn into the T?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #576
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:
You want the person going straight to stop for the person making the turn into the T?
It SOUNDS logical but when the yayhoo cuts in front of me and I smash into him, I want to confirm it's not my fault

I have to wonder with the number of times I have had to stop while going straight
      02-06-2020, 08:02 PM   #577
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:
It SOUNDS logical but when the yayhoo cuts in front of me and I smash into him, I want to confirm it's not my fault

I have to wonder with the number of times I have had to stop while going straight
I would think at least one thoroughfare has/had some sort of yield requirement (...e.g. stop sign, "YIELD" lettering on the actual asphalt, a flashing yellow, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:48 AM   #578
Middy2000
Middy2000
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 218d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
We hear a lot about knives being a real issue in the UK, from my point of view the appropriate response to edged weapons is a firearm.
It's the media that make it an issue, a bit like firearms in the US. Small numbers but made into a big thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #579
desibaba
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06, CBR1000RR, 2018

In south florida and I have a concealed carry permit. If I am pulled over by law enforcement do I have to tell them I have a firearm on me?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #580
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desibaba View Post
In south florida and I have a concealed carry permit. If I am pulled over by law enforcement do I have to tell them I have a firearm on me?
Technically no, but I would strongly advise that you do. The last thing you need is to be gestured out of your car at gunpoint [like we do to armed felons] should that officer see the gun, or if the officer decides to pull you out of the vehicle to pat search you for weapons (...Pennsylvania v. Mimms, among other case law, gives us that authority), have him/her come across that gun without you telling him/her that it was there. It's going to go very badly for you.

Advise the officer that you have a valid CCW. Advise the officer where the loaded firearm is on your person (..without reaching for it or moving), and ask the officer how he/she would like you to proceed. Do exactly as instructed and you will be fine.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
Rmtt8206.00
      02-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #581
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibaba View Post
What does the Florida law say? In NY State, we are not obligated to inform an officer that we are CCW, but I understand that some states require it to be declared up front when dealing with an officer.....
      02-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #582
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
What does the Florida law say? In NY State, we are not obligated to inform an officer that we are CCW, but I understand that some states require it to be declared up front when dealing with an officer.....
I cannot for the life of me understand why you wouldn't immediately disclose as suggested by Sedan_Clan.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24967.00
      02-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #583
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I carry....and I would let the LEO know regardless. South Carolina is a pretty liberal state when it comes to guns. But my brother said he is always informed when he comes across us.

Our Sherrif actually made national news a couple years back because of a statement he made.

He said he encouraged all law abiding residents to carry for their protection because sometimes they may not be able to respond quick enough to an emergency as it's a big rural county.

I thought I had a lot of guns, but at my in-laws in the NC mountains, there isn't a room in the house that doesn't have a firearm available although I'm talking specifically about shotguns and rifles. The handguns are kept put up.

I keep only one handgun and a tactical shotgun available inside my house....everything else is locked up in the safe. But we don't have small kids in the house, and no grandchildren yet for awhile.
      02-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #584
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Plus I'm really big into gun safety, and I shoot regularly at the range our police use as my brother, father-in-law, and Uncle are all active duty.

And I train most of the county deputies in advanced hand to hand conflict at our Aikido school. Well those who want to continue their training after the academy anyway.
      02-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #585
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I carry....and I would let the LEO know regardless. South Carolina is a pretty liberal state when it comes to guns. But my brother said he is always informed when he comes across us.

Our Sherrif actually made national news a couple years back because of a statement he made.

He said he encouraged all law abiding residents to carry for their protection because sometimes they may not be able to respond quick enough to an emergency as it's a big rural county.

I thought I had a lot of guns, but at my in-laws in the NC mountains, there isn't a room in the house that doesn't have a firearm available although I'm talking specifically about shotguns and rifles. The handguns are kept put up.

I keep only one handgun and a tactical shotgun available inside my house....everything else is locked up in the safe. But we don't have small kids in the house, and no grandchildren yet for awhile.
I'm here to tell you that no matter where you live, a big city, small town or out in the boonies, help maybe a long time coming. I worked the 4th largest city in North America, and if you call 911 you might get really lucky and have the cops at your door in a few minutes, often though it will be longer. And just imagine the best case scenario and the cops manage to get there in less than 3 or 4 minutes, just think about how long that is if shit is happening.

I love the police, and have a great deal of respect for the job they/we do along with the high quality training and equipment. But I know that I rely on myself to protect my home and family and not the police.
Appreciate 5
Rmtt8206.00
Sedan_Clan24967.00
vreihen1615097.00
paquet629.50
      02-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #586
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Perfectly true statement. I couldn't have said it better.
      02-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #587
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I cannot for the life of me understand why you wouldn't immediately disclose as suggested by Sedan_Clan.
....because he wants to get treated like an armed felon, pulled out of his vehicle, put into handcuffs and put into the back of a patrol unit pending investigation. It's where all law abiding citizens want to be.

</sarcasm>

Oh, and he wants to risk getting shot, too, when his nerves get the best of him in a tense encounter and he makes some sort of abrupt movement accidentally. Yeah! That sounds about right.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615097.00
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #588
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
I'm here to tell you that no matter where you live, a big city, small town or out in the boonies, help maybe a long time coming. I worked the 4th largest city in North America, and if you call 911 you might get really lucky and have the cops at your door in a few minutes, often though it will be longer. And just imagine the best case scenario and the cops manage to get there in less than 3 or 4 minutes, just think about how long that is if shit is happening.

I love the police, and have a great deal of respect for the job they/we do along with the high quality training and equipment. But I know that I rely on myself to protect my home and family and not the police.
Reminds me of the old aphorism "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."
vreihen1615097.00
Salty Dog3572.50
NEFARIOUS435.00
      02-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #589
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
The only possible reason, short of psychopathy, would be some twisted fantasy of almost getting into a gun battle with a cop.
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #590
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Quote:

Reminds me of the old aphorism "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."
True, which is why I advocate for all law abiding citizens to arm themselves, train with their weapon(s) and get insurance. Leaving your gun locked in a safe unloaded is pointless/useless.
Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3572.50
NEFARIOUS435.00
      02-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #591
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
...because he wants to get treated like an armed felon, pulled out of his vehicle, put into handcuffs and put into the back of a patrol unit pending investigation. It's where all law abiding citizens want to be.

</sarcasm>
If you recall, I asked the question at the beginning of this thread about how to "break the ice" when stopped by an officer in a state where CCW holders are *not* required by law to declare that they are carrying at the beginning of a police encounter!

There is a commonly-held belief among the 2A folks in NY State (not to be confused with the City of the same name that has even wackier gun laws) that concealed means concealed. They believe that there is no need to volunteer the information when exercising a federal right for the very reason that Sedan_Clan has sarcastically outlined, but you are obligated to answer honestly if the officer asks.

I keep my CCW card right next to my drivers license in my wallet. If I was ever stopped (carrying or not), I would hand both to the officer so the card is in their hand before I verbally mention the "trigger" word. If you knew how many hoops and background checks you have to jump through to get/keep a CCW in NY State, just having the card in the officer's hand has to be worth something in diffusing a tense situation knowing that he/she is dealing with a well-vetted person. (FWIW, NY State is *not* a must-issue state, and we have ZERO reciprocity with CCW licenses from *any* other state...not even a lockbox in the trunk passing through.)

Since the State Police are the agency charged with tracking all CCW licenses, I would go into any traffic stop situation under the impression that this tidbit is flashing in big red letters on a computer screen in the patrol car from just punching my plate number in before the stop. Best to be up front, carrying or not.....
      02-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #592
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Officers, what would you guys do in this situation if you were in the squad car?

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #593
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
...because he wants to get treated like an armed felon, pulled out of his vehicle, put into handcuffs and put into the back of a patrol unit pending investigation. It's where all law abiding citizens want to be.

</sarcasm>
If you recall, I asked the question at the beginning of this thread about how to "break the ice" when stopped by an officer in a state where CCW holders are *not* required by law to declare that they are carrying at the beginning of a police encounter!

There is a commonly-held belief among the 2A folks in NY State (not to be confused with the City of the same name that has even wackier gun laws) that concealed means concealed. They believe that there is no need to volunteer the information when exercising a federal right for the very reason that Sedan_Clan has sarcastically outlined, but you are obligated to answer honestly if the officer asks.

I keep my CCW card right next to my drivers license in my wallet. If I was ever stopped (carrying or not), I would hand both to the officer so the card is in their hand before I verbally mention the "trigger" word. If you knew how many hoops and background checks you have to jump through to get/keep a CCW in NY State, just having the card in the officer's hand has to be worth something in diffusing a tense situation knowing that he/she is dealing with a well-vetted person. (FWIW, NY State is *not* a must-issue state, and we have ZERO reciprocity with CCW licenses from *any* other state...not even a lockbox in the trunk passing through.)

Since the State Police are the agency charged with tracking all CCW licenses, I would go into any traffic stop situation under the impression that this tidbit is flashing in big red letters on a computer screen in the patrol car from just punching my plate number in before the stop. Best to be up front, carrying or not.....
So on one hand you make a statement about informing (..mentioning that some states don't require you to inform at all), only to turn around and state that you inform. If you're providing your CCW to an officer along with your license and vehicle registration, you've informed. I answered the question in the manner that I did because of the way your response was worded.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615097.00
      02-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #594
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Officers, what would you guys do in this situation if you were in the squad car?

Well in that movie, those individuals weren't engaged because of the mythos of the town. In real life, those individuals would have been detained.
Appreciate 0