BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Well, bmw loses its shirt on software updates for Idrive. The cost savings of not having a $200 per hour tech spending his time twiddling his thumbs while one car at a time, taking up a precious car bay, is hooked up to the BMW update computer for 8 stinking hours. That's ridiculous and that alone is motivation to move to OTA.

Moreover, many techs want to do the software update after hours so that the system can update the customers car at night to free up the bay during the day---well, this costs a ton of money (compared to OTA) because bmw has to give a loaner car to the customer. Plus, the customer is totally inconvenienced.

The current method bmw uses for updating Idrive is deeply flawed. Whenever the local tech has problems with the update, they have to get a German engineer conferenced in to the situation---essentially a manual OTA.

This is nonsense. This problem stems from every subsystem requiring its own update and version control. OTA will be a competitive requirement in the near future. Once Mercedes does it, then bmw will have no choice. So, bmw might as well do it now.

But, that's not the bmw way. BMW does not innovate. BMW is a copier. Almost every great BMW feature was invented or implemented by a competitor.
I update my iDrive at my house via a software download from BMW and USB drive. Where do you live where BMW dealerships pay their techs $200 an hour? You seem to severely misinformed, Then you post your lack of knowledge like an expert. Hilarious!
Well, first, I should be clear that I am venting about the update process on my car and not an i3.

With my 7 or X1 the only update you can do as a customer is a telematics update.

You cannot update the entire Idrive system without going into the shop. To me, that's a complete waste of time.

Yes, I agree my $200 was hyperbole, but my point remains: it seems foolish to pay $50 per hour to have my car updated by a tech when it could be done OTA.

I think the USB model of "sneaker net" is silly in 2015. The i3 does not support OTA at this time. I do believe OTA to be superior to sneaker net.

Finally, I never claimed to be an expert. But, OTA is the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #24
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Sorry for being a litle bit straighforward: it is one thing to be ignorant in a certain field, and another one to prove that. Please do yourself a favor and read before you write down your assumptions. BMW iis a great inovator.
If you want to talk about copiators and plagiators look at the japanese, Toyota for that matter not to thegermans. One of the things that makes the Germans great -and for that reason less reliable- is that that they do invent and throw the new technology outhere, ready for you, while the japanese are using old proven technology waiting until the new one is improved. Stop posting nonsense others might believe it.
Quote:
Well, bmw loses its shirt on software updates for Idrive. The cost savings of not having a $200 per hour tech spending his time twiddling his thumbs while one car at a time, taking up a precious car bay, is hooked up to the BMW update computer for 8 stinking hours. That's ridiculous and that alone is motivation to move to OTA.

Moreover, many techs want to do the software update after hours so that the system can update the customers car at night to free up the bay during the day---well, this costs a ton of money (compared to OTA) because bmw has to give a loaner car to the customer. Plus, the customer is totally inconvenienced.

The current method bmw uses for updating Idrive is deeply flawed. Whenever the local tech has problems with the update, they have to get a German engineer conferenced in to the situation---essentially a manual OTA.

This is nonsense. This problem stems from every subsystem requiring its own update and version control. OTA will be a competitive requirement in the near future. Once Mercedes does it, then bmw will have no choice. So, bmw might as well do it now.

But, that's not the bmw way. BMW does not innovate. BMW is a copier. Almost every great BMW feature was invented or implemented by a competitor.
Well, why don't you list some innovations that are not merely improvements.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #25
Rapcat
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 conv

I'm taking my car in tomorrow. Hopefully the part doesn't take forever.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #26
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
iDrive?

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #27
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Quote:
iDrive?
Their whole "I" brand for one! Lots of new tech and innovation their!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:39 AM   #28
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Vanos
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0