BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Wait times with shipping a car bought from out of state

So with Covid as with most other things that are delayed these days, if you want to get a car shipped, there’s a 2-3week wait time at the very least before they can pick up and another week or so depending on where you are.

What’s your take on having a car that you paid for already, meaning you and seller exchanged money and title already, but due to the aforementioned reason above, the car will sit waiting to be picked up by the truck? How sure am I that prior owner will not use/drive or worst, thrash the car, as it’s waiting to be picked up?

Anyone have any experience w a similar situation? I’m still working out something and haven’t finalized anything yet. I’m preplanning things to see what I can do about it.

Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

My take is that - that's the way it is. Everyone's in the same boat so enjoy the cruise. If that's the worst you have to deal with between now and your car arriving then - enjoy the new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 08:58 PM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Buy a plane ticket and drive it home yourself. Instant response. Time in transit will be almost the same as hiring a truck to ship. Cost wouldn't be too much different. Plus it will be a fun road trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #4
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Buy a plane ticket and drive it home yourself. Instant response. Time in transit will be almost the same as hiring a truck to ship. Cost wouldn't be too much different. Plus it will be a fun road trip.
Thank you. Yeah thought about that but living in MA, it’s not as easy. I still need to get it registered here then be able to fly in w the proper reg and plate (temporary for now according to my insurance agent due to COVID-19, but they don’t normally issue temp tags) to be able to drive it back. Might take a bit to process.

If so push through w it, I will choose to trust the seller and send him the credit union check, then have him overnight me the title w proper transfer information. Then I can start the registration process. All this time, the seller has the car I will then technically own.

PLUS, little complication: car came w bucket seats that aren’t installed and last time I looked, shipping these are also a pain in the behind. So there’s that.

My best bet is to really ship them all but then, I’ll go back to my first “dilemma’l which is how to make sure the now-former owner doesn’t take “my” car for joyrides and stuff. It used to be her/his daily after all.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #5
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Depends on the route and how busy it is.

In May I did a deal on Tuesday, arranged shipping, it was picked up on Thursday and delivered on Tuesday. From AZ to FL enclosed trailer.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 10:18 PM   #6
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

It all depends on what state you’re shipping from and who your shipper is. If you’re shipping from middle of nowhere and using a broker then good luck.
Appreciate 0