Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
i8s will not get a six cylinder.
Well there we have it!
No reason BMW couldn't make an i8GTS with a juicy 6 cylinder water injection engine.

Depends how well the 3 and the rumoured 4 pot sell... If they don't then something more special will have to be made or the project scrapped.

Up against the likes of the new R8, Turbo S, GT and 570S (all cars that hit 100mph in under 7 sec) the alleged i8S has its work cut out , maybe it'll get a bigger brother in time... Especially if BMW can make 500 of them and sell them for a ludicrous price
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:14 PM   #24
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
This car will not get a 6 cyl engine with an M chassis. You all are forgetting this is an i8 and not an M8. BMW is differentiating the BMWM brand from the BMWi brand. The i8S, or whatever it's called if they make it, will have more power and better stats while keeping what makes an i8 an i8. There is nothing in the market right now at this price point or less like it.

Like it or not a 6 cyl twin turbo with an M chassis, coupled with an electric motor unfortunately will change the i8's identity. They could however create a new car within the BMWi brand, but I doubt they will do that within the next decade. Nevertheless an M chassis in an i8 will never happen. BMWi has enough technology to create its own. Just my 2c

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 4
      05-31-2016, 08:44 PM   #25
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
It is not conceived that way.
Scott, I am very much interested in the performance version in the i8. Where can I learn more about it?

Cheers,

Chris

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:28 PM   #26
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M3 [MW|CB]

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Weird...I think we need to see the plates on this i8. There is no camouflage whatsoever. This is not the typical BMW test mule...

Update: just found that when searching for the rims: http://www.bmwmotorshowblog.com/en/b...car-formula-e/

Looks like they 'stole' the brakes, rims, spoiler and engine glass cover from the i8 Formula E safety car!
EXACTLY.

And do remember how we first spotted and were introduced to the ///M4 GTS test mule: As a MotoGP Safety Car.

Seems like BMW has a new strategy for deriving performance models of existing vehicles. I personally think it's genius. You get all this time to test and develop various aspects of the car, especially the performance and tech in an un-camouflaged vehicle on the track with nobody but the critical thinking enthusiasts thinking twice about it

At first I thought it was just a tuner car, but I forgot about the i8 Formula E Safety Car, and when you posted that pic regarding the similarities, I immediately recalled the ///M4 GTS test mule parading around as the MotoGP Safety Car.

///Mike

"It's a yobbo, yobbo, yobbo... But we like that in an M3 don't we?"
-Chris Harris
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 12:08 AM   #27
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey F80
Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Weird...I think we need to see the plates on this i8. There is no camouflage whatsoever. This is not the typical BMW test mule...

Update: just found that when searching for the rims: http://www.bmwmotorshowblog.com/en/b...car-formula-e/

Looks like they 'stole' the brakes, rims, spoiler and engine glass cover from the i8 Formula E safety car!
EXACTLY.

And do remember how we first spotted and were introduced to the ///M4 GTS test mule: As a MotoGP Safety Car.

Seems like BMW has a new strategy for deriving performance models of existing vehicles. I personally think it's genius. You get all this time to test and develop various aspects of the car, especially the performance and tech in an un-camouflaged vehicle on the track with nobody but the critical thinking enthusiasts thinking twice about it

At first I thought it was just a tuner car, but I forgot about the i8 Formula E Safety Car, and when you posted that pic regarding the similarities, I immediately recalled the ///M4 GTS test mule parading around as the MotoGP Safety Car.

///Mike
Good point. Can't wait to find out what it really is.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:08 AM   #28
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
i8s will not get a six cylinder.
Simply because an R6 won´t fit into the i8 platform!!! Only an V6 could fit, but because the BMW AG has no V6 in ist program the biggest possible engine is the B48.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:29 AM   #29
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Why didn't they call it the M-i8
      06-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #30
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Actually it may be the M8i internally know as matey.

In all seriousness that brake set up would not be typical tuner material. It looks to be the same set up that is in the M6 GT3. Seemingly not worth the upgrade for a tuner on a standard i8. But I've been wrong before.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #31
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
No reason BMW couldn't make an i8GTS with a juicy 6 cylinder water injection engine.

Depends how well the 3 and the rumoured 4 pot sell... If they don't then something more special will have to be made or the project scrapped.

Up against the likes of the new R8, Turbo S, GT and 570S (all cars that hit 100mph in under 7 sec) the alleged i8S has its work cut out , maybe it'll get a bigger brother in time... Especially if BMW can make 500 of them and sell them for a ludicrous price
Problem is you can't fit a sideways Inline 6 in that engine bay. It's too long to fit without completely redesigning the chassis.
Appreciate 4
      06-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #32
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
Problem is you can't fit a sideways Inline 6 in that engine bay. It's too long to fit without completely redesigning the chassis.
Well... there's that. But there's no reason it can't be done!
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #33
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post

Would it fit longitudinally?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #34
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance
Would it fit longitudinally?
No. The i8S is likely to utilize the B46 as others have stated. Even a 4 cylinder would be a tight fit in the engine bay. The N20 is being phased out already as seen in the F30 PHEV, which utilizes the B46.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #35
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

IMO, it's the i8S. The reason is simple: remember the M4 MotoGP pace car? it was the M4 GTS in disguise, so the i8 Formula E pace car is in fact the i8S in disguise!

All the bits are there:

- Vents on rear windshield
- Same wheels (including offset)
- Same brakes
- Same wind deflector on the front hood air exhaust
Attached Images

06-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #36
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M3 [MW|CB]

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
IMO, it's the i8S. The reason is simple: remember the M4 MotoGP pace car? it was the M4 GTS in disguise, so the i8 Formula E pace car is in fact the i8S in disguise!

All the bits are there:

- Same brakes
Exactly what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey F80 View Post
EXACTLY.

///Mike

"It's a yobbo, yobbo, yobbo... But we like that in an M3 don't we?"
-Chris Harris
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2016, 11:56 PM   #37
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW

All the bits are there:

- Same brakes
Great find! Looks legit.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:30 AM   #38
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
Based on the drawing below and the construction of the car, I don't think it would be major engineering work to put a longitudinal inline 6 in the back. The carbon passenger shell is already built, they just need to create a new rear subframe to carry the inline 6 (they can lenghten the wheelbase for it). It may elongate the car, or make the balance of the car more reawards (ala 911) but it's very possible...

Of course fitting a transverse Turbo 4 in the current engine bay is much less expensive to do...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #39
Danyutz
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper

I think this is a modded i8.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #40
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

This would be hilarious if this were actually someone's car that they just modified.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #41
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
They have to do something. The price and performance gap between BMW electric and Tesla is frankly embarassing. I don't really like or need a electric car bc im a PT commuter so I really don't care about efficiency for my weekend car but the Tesla package is light years ahead of BMW. That being said, I want a Tesla because of the performance even though I'll thoughly miss the visceral experience of the gas guzzler. Right now the Tesla PxxD will be my next car unless BMW can close the gap with a nice family hybrid like a 800hp Gas/Electric M5 to match the 800hp p85d. The way the P85d tears off the line can no longer be denied, I feel kinda dumb seeing how much faster the first generation of Tesla is, where will they be in 5 years. They passed years and years of IC engineering in less than a single life cycle of a BMW model, astonishing engineering. Hopefully BMWs i line can match or i cant justify my next car being a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #42
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye
They have to do something. The price and performance gap between BMW electric and Tesla is frankly embarassing. I don't really like or need a electric car bc im a PT commuter so I really don't care about efficiency for my weekend car but the Tesla package is light years ahead of BMW. That being said, I want a Tesla because of the performance even though I'll thoughly miss the visceral experience of the gas guzzler. Right now the Tesla PxxD will be my next car unless BMW can close the gap with a nice family hybrid like a 800hp Gas/Electric M5 to match the 800hp p85d. The way the P85d tears off the line can no longer be denied, I feel kinda dumb seeing how much faster the first generation of Tesla is, where will they be in 5 years. They passed years and years of IC engineering in less than a single life cycle of a BMW model, astonishing engineering. Hopefully BMWs i line can match or i cant justify my next car being a BMW.
One of the main reasons why the Tesla can take off the way it does is because the entire floor is filled with batteries which is why it weights like a pig. The performance you are excited about comes mostly from a dig. I don't think BMWi wants to make their cars weight that much, which means the only other feasible alternative is with better battery technology. Which they do not have, and is the main reason why there will not be a i8M for a very long time.

Furthermore, the tesla and the i8 are not same category of cars. They couldn't be more further apart. But let me reiterate what I have said in a previous post. No other manufacturer currently has anything like the BMW i8, in terms of design and light weight 911 performance, at its price point or less.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 03:00 AM   #43
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

It's time to loose the electric blue highlights. It's not a concept anymore, the points been made, it's starting to look dare I say cheep. You can never go wrong with a solid color scheme.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #44
Vetsky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hello all,

I have had my i8 for a few weeks now. Truth is the car is very good. It is extremely efficient and plenty quick for the streets. Would I like another 100 HP? No question, but for a road car it is perfectly capable. With that being said if a version came out with a bigger engine, I would buy it immediately. So I guess i'm a bit of a hypocrite.

Honestly, the only thing I think needs an immediate fix / change would be the transmission. It is really horrible.
Appreciate 0