06-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #45
M3anPower
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetsky
Hello all,

I have had my i8 for a few weeks now. Truth is the car is very good. It is extremely efficient and plenty quick for the streets. Would I like another 100 HP? No question, but for a road car it is perfectly capable. With that being said if a version came out with a bigger engine, I would buy it immediately. So I guess i'm a bit of a hypocrite.

Honestly, the only thing I think needs an immediate fix / change would be the transmission. It is really horrible.
Im sorry to hear about the transmission. Which one they use for i8?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #46
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello all,

I have had my i8 for a few weeks now. Truth is the car is very good. It is extremely efficient and plenty quick for the streets. Would I like another 100 HP? No question, but for a road car it is perfectly capable. With that being said if a version came out with a bigger engine, I would buy it immediately. So I guess i'm a bit of a hypocrite.

Honestly, the only thing I think needs an immediate fix / change would be the transmission. It is really horrible.
What I don't like about the transmission is that you cannot hold it in gear. Also I think a dual clutch transmission would be great as an option if it is possible.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #47
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Hello all,

You have captured my thoughts quite well. I am actually always amazed how quickly the car goes up to 90 mph even though it has less HP than my M cars. If there is a performance model that is not price prohibitive I would look at it quite hard. Price will be the main consideration though. Lots of cool cars available in the price range already.

I have a 2014 and in sport model it does hold the gears, I use that feature on my commute on the highway often. Would I prefer a dct, yes, but the transmission is quick and smooth. I am sometimes struggling with the loose steering feel though.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #48
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM
Quote:
Hello all,

You have captured my thoughts quite well. I am actually always amazed how quickly the car goes up to 90 mph even though it has less HP than my M cars. If there is a performance model that is not price prohibitive I would look at it quite hard. Price will be the main consideration though. Lots of cool cars available in the price range already.

I have a 2014 and in sport model it does hold the gears, I use that feature on my commute on the highway often. Would I prefer a dct, yes, but the transmission is quick and smooth. I am sometimes struggling with the loose steering feel though.
Your 2014 i8 holds the gear at redline? Can you confirm this please?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #49
michal12
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Six cylinder

I wish BMW would reconsider their i strategy a little. I understand they went with the pure approach (smallest possible petrol engine, emphasis on electric power) but the market does not seem to be responding well to this. Maybe the car is ahead of its time..
What the market is responding well to, I think, is when e-engine is a performance upgade (McLaren P1, La Ferrari, even NSX) rather than an eco-device.
So thats why I think a six cylinder with stronger e motors would be great.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #50
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12
I wish BMW would reconsider their i strategy a little. I understand they went with the pure approach (smallest possible petrol engine, emphasis on electric power) but the market does not seem to be responding well to this. Maybe the car is ahead of its time..
What the market is responding well to, I think, is when e-engine is a performance upgade (McLaren P1, La Ferrari, even NSX) rather than an eco-device.
So thats why I think a six cylinder with stronger e motors would be great.
I don't get it. The market responded quite well to the car considering how poorly sports cars in general are selling nowadays. 2 of the cars you mentioned are unattainable unicorns produced in extremely low volume. The third we still have no idea how well it will do in the market but from what I've gathered, people shopping in this price range are resistive to spending $160k+ on a Honda built vehicle. I considered the jump i8 to NSX for a second and then immediately scratched that off my mind. If you ask me, just let us use the 40hp still available from the i3 electric motor that has been detuned in the i8 and give us a DCT and you have the perfect i8. Other than that the car is a dream as is.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #51
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
I don't get it. The market responded quite well to the car considering how poorly sports cars in general are selling nowadays. 2 of the cars you mentioned are unattainable unicorns produced in extremely low volume. The third we still have no idea how well it will do in the market but from what I've gathered, people shopping in this price range are resistive to spending $160k+ on a Honda built vehicle. I considered the jump i8 to NSX for a second and then immediately scratched that off my mind. If you ask me, just let us use the 40hp still available from the i3 electric motor that has been detuned in the i8 and give us a DCT and you have the perfect i8. Other than that the car is a dream as is.
Exactly. The point about the i8 is how cohesive it is. All porsche 911 ex owners (including turbo'd version) agree that the i8 is fine as is.

The gearbox could be refined, the e range extended, the slow speed hesitation. I wish bmw had produced less cars a bit like the z8...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #52
Vetsky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hello again,

A lot of action since my last post. In regards to the DCT vs the current automatic. I do believe it comes down to weight, which is why BMW chose the auto.

While driving in sport mode without using the paddles. I do find the transmission to be pretty good. Great in fact (for an auto). The problem is the minute you touch the paddles all goes downhill. Especially the down shifts. They are so slow I'm usually past the apex of the turn by the time the the car is in gear. I won't talk about the auto shifting while in manual mode.

Moving on from the tranny. I do believe that the even though there would be a higher price tag, a beefier i8s (or whatever it will be called) will be very welcomed in the market place. While I can sit here and say how great the current version is (and I do think it is great) I would still want wider tires, better tranny, bigger brakes, and more horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 02:01 AM   #53
LMA45
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, i8, X5 MSport 45e

I don't get all these calls for more power.
The i8 is quick as it is, you need to get over the cubic capacity and actually look at what the car does as designed. Its quicker than my E55 v8 supercharged I had to 60 mph, and yet does it with the efficiency of a small hatch.
The only other hybrid sports car is the Porsche 918 that really move the game forward.
The Ferrari and P1 just use E power for more performance they don't provide any environmental or efficiency benefit. They don't move the car design forward.
From a price point to performance there aren't many cars quicker to 60, so I don't get that argument either. Only the notorious Nissan GTR and that embarrsses even the most exotic cars.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 01:45 AM   #54
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
They should just drop the electrics and make this a CE supercar
Sure, and we should all go back to typewriters and fax machines.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 01:49 AM   #55
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMA45 View Post
I don't get all these calls for more power.
The i8 is quick as it is, you need to get over the cubic capacity and actually look at what the car does as designed. Its quicker than my E55 v8 supercharged I had to 60 mph, and yet does it with the efficiency of a small hatch.
The only other hybrid sports car is the Porsche 918 that really move the game forward.
The Ferrari and P1 just use E power for more performance they don't provide any environmental or efficiency benefit. They don't move the car design forward.
From a price point to performance there aren't many cars quicker to 60, so I don't get that argument either. Only the notorious Nissan GTR and that embarrsses even the most exotic cars.
Fully agree.

The GTR is just a rough-edged, noisy bully. It moves, but without elegance and refinement. Like an English hooligan. For people who like that sort of thing.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 01:52 AM   #56
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetsky View Post
Hello again,

A lot of action since my last post. In regards to the DCT vs the current automatic. I do believe it comes down to weight, which is why BMW chose the auto.

While driving in sport mode without using the paddles. I do find the transmission to be pretty good. Great in fact (for an auto). The problem is the minute you touch the paddles all goes downhill. Especially the down shifts. They are so slow I'm usually past the apex of the turn by the time the the car is in gear. I won't talk about the auto shifting while in manual mode.

Moving on from the tranny. I do believe that the even though there would be a higher price tag, a beefier i8s (or whatever it will be called) will be very welcomed in the market place. While I can sit here and say how great the current version is (and I do think it is great) I would still want wider tires, better tranny, bigger brakes, and more horsepower.
To what end, exactly. If you want to race and talk about apexes, get a race car. The i8 never wanted to be one, so I don't get why people keep stuffing it in that box.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 02:01 AM   #57
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
No reason BMW couldn't make an i8GTS with a juicy 6 cylinder water injection engine.

Depends how well the 3 and the rumoured 4 pot sell... If they don't then something more special will have to be made or the project scrapped.

Up against the likes of the new R8, Turbo S, GT and 570S (all cars that hit 100mph in under 7 sec) the alleged i8S has its work cut out , maybe it'll get a bigger brother in time... Especially if BMW can make 500 of them and sell them for a ludicrous price
You're giving the answer yourself. The car was never conceived to compete with the highest performance versions of the sports car world. And hence, they will not try. It's meant to open it's own niche, and it has.

BMW has been getting a lot of attention for taking this step, and BMWi is beginning to be established as its own segment and as something new and cool. And that was at least part of the point of launching th i8.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #58
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
They should just drop the electrics and make this a CE supercar
Sure, and we should all go back to typewriters and fax machines.
Now now...don't be silly
I can dream right?!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 04:14 AM   #59
vmatheboss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: nissan gt-r / bmw i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Fully agree.

The GTR is just a rough-edged, noisy bully. It moves, but without elegance and refinement. Like an English hooligan. For people who like that sort of thing.
i came from a gtr.... its definitely a bully to most super cars.... the car is a beast, but lacks the curves and high tech interiors/features, etc.

the gtr and i8 cannot be compared..they both have their own cool differences. put it this way, if you want raw power and unlimited modding possibilities, then get the gtr... if you want something classy, yet still got a kick of power while turning heads, get the i8... i love both.... the gtr just got me a lot of state ref tickets here in cali
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 05:59 AM   #60
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey F80 View Post
Exactly what I said:
Or, it's just another pace car without the foil on. Test drivers do get to take company cars out occasionally.

Personally, I don't quite get the point of "developing" a performance version via a pace car. A pace car doesn't get that much exercise, and it's unpredictable when and how much it gets used. Pretty pointless as far as testing is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #61
MrRob
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetsky View Post
Hello again,

The gearbox choice has nothing to do with weight. They spent all the development budget on the carbon fibre chassis, electrics, battery tech etc. When it came to engine they had to fit something transverse to drive the rear wheels. The only engine available was the 1.5 from the mini range as all other BMW engines are fitted longitudinally. Therefore to avoid having to develop a new gearbox they did not have any choice other than the 6 speed auto which is essentially the same as you will find in the latest generation mini if you opt for auto.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #62
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRob View Post
The gearbox choice has nothing to do with weight. They spent all the development budget on the carbon fibre chassis, electrics, battery tech etc. When it came to engine they had to fit something transverse to drive the rear wheels. The only engine available was the 1.5 from the mini range as all other BMW engines are fitted longitudinally. Therefore to avoid having to develop a new gearbox they did not have any choice other than the 6 speed auto which is essentially the same as you will find in the latest generation mini if you opt for auto.
I think there was a bit more planning in all of this than you give them credit for. They don't just design and develop a car, spend all their money, and then go "Hmm, I wonder what engine and gearbox may fit into this thing now" - if that's what you're suggesting.

The 1.5 three banger is a pretty smart choice if you want frugal fuel consumption but still power that's worth mentioning. The whole strategy behind the i sub-brand has been following that train of thought from the beginning.

I honestly don't know much about BMW portfolio of tranny choices, but again, it will not have been an afterthought. It may very well have been a budget decision upfront, though.
Appreciate 1