BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-06-2021, 08:11 AM   #23
blittle887
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I picked up my frozen Portimau blue metallic M3 about 1 month ago.
Attached Images

Tommy-G4486.50
chris7197334.00
(K)1273.50
heavyD^23688.50
540iSUP704.00
      09-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #24
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Trade. I'm in south FL.

Hows business up north?

Since we're on the topic of matte finishes, which ceramic can be used on it? I will be looking into this for the CS. A bit nervous having someone do this on a matte car, as we've never had ceramic done at all before.. So i need to find a shop i really trust.
Business is insane.
Appreciate 1
contented193.50
      09-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #25
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

I had the M4CS covered with Xpel stealth PPF and added Ceramic pro on top. I have yet to wash my car and its been over a year but its not my daily (weekend car). I use Blackfire matte detailer and that's it. IMO any PPF is well worth the investment to prevent paint damage, that should be your first mod with matte paint finish. The ceramic pro coating is amazing, spray detailer and dust just wipes off and no scratches.

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-m...ail-spray.html
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
contented193.50
      09-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #26
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by blittle887 View Post

love the superman combo. Any ppf/ceramic?
Appreciate 1
contented193.50
      09-07-2021, 08:04 PM   #27
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

My understanding is that matte & satin paints are more fussy to maintain. The satin ppf is a different beast altogether. Same visual effects but much easier to maintain with the self-healing properties. The only downside to the PPF is that you're limited by the base color of the car so if you were looking for a custom color you'd essentially be spending twice the amount; once to paint and again to wrap.
Appreciate 1
contented193.50
      09-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #28
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Ceramic at a minimum though. It's very helpful on cleaning.
Appreciate 1
contented193.50
      09-09-2021, 04:02 AM   #29
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
My understanding is that matte & satin paints are more fussy to maintain. The satin ppf is a different beast altogether. Same visual effects but much easier to maintain with the self-healing properties. The only downside to the PPF is that you're limited by the base color of the car so if you were looking for a custom color you'd essentially be spending twice the amount; once to paint and again to wrap.

dont know why anyone would get frozen paint then wrap it another color.
Appreciate 1
contented193.50
      09-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #30
blittle887
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blittle887 View Post

love the superman combo. Any ppf/ceramic?
No ppf or ceramic coating.
      09-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #31
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Matte finish Owner here - I have a frozen edition (white) M3. Had it since 2016 and I can tell you that most of the myths around matte paint are mostly false.
  • No - It is not a lot of work to look after. You basically wash and dry. Can't get any easier than that.
  • No - You can't polish it. So that is one down side when you get scratches or swirls. However, the matte finish actually hides a lot of swirls/scratches that you would typically see on the traditional gloss finish since the reflections are diffused by the matte. By the time you see a scratch on a matte finish, that scratch is likely deep enough to go through the clear on a gloss finish. Which polishing won't likely get it out completely anyways.
  • No - It is not hard to clean. Like all things with car detailing, it comes down to using the right products. I track my car a handful of times a year. Every track day my car will be get blasted with tire bits and leave rubber marks on the paint. Everything comes off with ease with the right cleaning product.
  • No - Bird shit won't etch the paint instantly. It will eat into the finish if you leave it on the car for days. It will do that on gloss finish anyways. Only difference is you can't polish it once it etched into the paint. I have had bird shit/bug splatter sat on the paint for 2 days once, and no issues getting it off. Key is not be lazy.
  • Yes - It can be color match should you need to get certain panels repainted. I had the hood repainted due to rock chips (ones that chipped the paint right down to metal) and the bodyshop was able to match it 100% without having to repaint the bumper and fenders. Just need to find the right shop that's capable.
  • Yes - There are ceramic coating in the market that works on matte paint. However, it is not lifetime like ceramic for gloss finish. Best ones I've came across only last 4-5 years.
  • Yes - There are PPF film made for matte finish. However, my friend owns a shop that does PPF don't recommend it due to various reasons.
  • Yes - You can use regular soap that contains wax or shine enhancer. However, don't recommend it. The matte finish will look blotchy, but it doesn't destroy it as you can wash the wax off with dish soap or soap that are designed to strip wax such as the chemical guys clean slate.
  • Yes - You can use clay bar if you're careful. I've use a claybay on mine before to clean 3m double sided tape off.

I am rather hard on the car when I'm on track, ie, I don't hesitate one bit to get nice and close to the car in front of me to get a point by for passing. I also do several long trips a year and etc. I don't have PPF or ceramic on my car. I just apply the BMW matte sealant once a year and wash once every 2-3 weeks. Just simple wash and dry. The paint looks exactly the same as the day I got it.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 4
TAZ0071846.50
contented193.50
540iSUP704.00