01-28-2023, 12:58 PM   #1
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

ingress-egress: how to get in and out of your i8 without looking klutzy

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Not a new topic, but one that every BMW sales rep should have been trained to demonstrate.

Many tyros enter the i8 butt first, then drag both legs over the sill. They do the same maneuver getting out, or worse, try to roll out twisting shoulder first.

Some agile ladies can do the butt first ingress with aplomb. Most of us cannot, we look like hapless elephant seals squirming to get over the sill.

The best way, in my opinion, is to lean back (a little limbo) under the raised door, putting right foot in first, then pivot counter-clockwise a bit on left foot (so that heel is by car, toe out perpendicular) as you lower butt into seat, bracing with right leg and right palm on sill, then lifting left leg in over sill. You may wish to start by lightly touching roof w right hand to stabilize briefly as you start to enter.

Exiting requires a bit of lift; I put left foot out, leverage a bit with left forearm on sill, then if needed for more lift I put right palm on sill and pop other leg out and stand.

With a bit of practice getting in and out is quick, easy, and graceful.

This is not a matter of size. I am 6'3" 190lbs. I'm guessing the i8 is comfortable for most up to 6'8"

It is truly sad that many potential owners were so put off by the difficulty and embarrassment of getting in and out that they got some monstrous truck or SUV instead. All BMW needed to do was train reps, and show some videos w attractive models, on options for getting in and out.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 07:12 PM   #2
khlambo
Rep
Drives: 1997 Lamborghini Diablo Roadst

Same as a Lambo, inboard foot (driver's side right, pax side left) into the footwell, then butt in the seat, then outboard leg/foot into the cockpit
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 02:49 PM   #3
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

I dunno. I Kinda like the swooping in and out of it.
I dont mind the stupid journalists not figuring out how to get in and out, it's a bit like an Elise.. theres just a knack to it

BUT for the love of god how can they make a car with such special ingress-egress without MEMORY SEATS, my wife is half the size so I have to wait for the seat to whirr all the way to the floor every single time.
But I still love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 12:33 PM   #4
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

I think the biggest problem here for me is that i'm starting to notice the thin leather near my left rib tearing a bit :/

I'm going to guess its when i fall into the seat since when i get out i use the door sill to lift off
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 01:25 PM   #5
Wheel man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Garage List
This is a very interesting topic. I found myself practicing getting in and out in my garage yesterday. I just open the door early and give myself 45 seconds for people to look then look away…then I fall out before they look back.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2023, 05:32 AM   #6
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurng View Post
I think the biggest problem here for me is that i'm starting to notice the thin leather near my left rib tearing a bit :/

I'm going to guess its when i fall into the seat since when i get out i use the door sill to lift off
You could just get a skin graft
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2023, 01:15 PM   #7
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgzx View Post
I dont mind the stupid journalists not figuring out how to get in and out, it's a bit like an Elise.. theres just a knack to it

BUT for the love of god how can they make a car with such special ingress-egress without MEMORY SEATS, my wife is half the size so I have to wait for the seat to whirr all the way to the floor every single time.
But I still love it.
Yours doesn't have the memory seats? What year spec?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 02:26 AM   #8
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Please correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know, none made with memory seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 05:57 PM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgzx View Post

But I still love it.
Always marry someone your own height if you plan to share your i8.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 02:48 AM   #10
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

They should make the next version a shooting brake. Then we could have his and her's i8. Have to fit the dogs somewhere. Currently theyre residing in a Polestar, wich makes a crappy ski car due to the 1000km trek to the alps.

this makes me drool:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAj
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:05 PM   #11
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Rear engine shooting brake... Well I guess we would at least have a trunk now...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 02:50 AM   #12
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Centre engine. If you think about it, the rear boot is next to useless, but if you extend it a bit it could create a full height dog room, with bmw's genius opening rear window it would be super usefull.

Does anyone know what happened to the germans that started upgrading the i8 with a v8 from the e90 m3, I belive they swapped to use the v8TT from the m5, but stalled?
Appreciate 0