06-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
aalluubbaa
Registered
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Want to buy a used I8

Hi, guys!

I have always loved I8 since its launch. I have some questions regarding battery charge, door opening space, child seat and maintenance.

I live in Taipei and it is rather crowded. I only have one parking space so if I do get an I8, that will be my only car. My fiance and I are getting married and we plan to have kids. Some article online I read states that if I put a child seat in the back, there will be absolutely no leg room for the front passenger. But I also watched a youtube clip the passenger in the front seems to be fine with a seat in the back. Is there a special-made child seat for that? Can someone with some experience share thoughts on that?

Also, the parking space in Taipei is not that spacious either. In extreme cases, with my BMW 328, I have to open 1/3 of my door just to get out. I mean it doesn't happen all the time but I think I just want to know by how much more or less distance, I could expect to squeeze myself out of the car compared to a regular door from any sedan.

I love how I8 is hybrid but I've never driven a hybrid car. I've watched a video online and the owner says that if you keep the sports mode on, the engine would always charge back the battery so you don't ever have to charge it. Is this true?

Lastly, because BMW from my local dealership is insanely expensive in general. It makes no sense for me to buy an I8 for 350k dollars so I would import it myself from the US for like 1/3 of the cost. It is a common practice in Taiwan as many of the local shops are more than equipped to maintain luxury or even super cars. However, I8 is such a special car I may have to go back to the official dealership for maintenance. So I want to know the typical cost of repairing and how reliable it is after say, 20k miles.

Thanks for any feedback!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

I don't think i8 really suits your circumstances.

If you can only open the door 1/3, you will NOT get out or in.

Re child seat, just try it at a dealer. I suspect it will be fine.

Sports mode will charge it, but never to 100%. And you gain no efficiency benefits that way. Best to plug this car in, but not essential.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

The i8 is approximately 5” longer and 5” wider than a 328. It is not a small car. The birds-eye camera helps, but it is not a car for tight spaces. By my measurements you need a minimum of 23” to open the doors. It would drive me crazy worrying about door dings if I had to park close to other vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
Kbull
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

from all you explain here, it's definitely not the car you want .
also , you planning to get married ( so not yet married) , planning to have kids ( it's not like buying them from the shop) .
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #5
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbull View Post
from all you explain here, it's definitely not the car you want .
also , you planning to get married ( so not yet married) , planning to have kids ( it's not like buying them from the shop) .
I would recommend i8 only as a second or third car for a family; with kids you need a bigger car, with 4 doors...
Appreciate 0