06-25-2019, 04:05 AM   #23
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
My dealer said not to worry about the extended warranty because BMW will always assist with an expensive repair as long as the car has always been in the BMW dealership with full service history, more so apparently with the i8 which is seen as a halo car.
Sounds like salesman BS... have you asked them to put that in writing and to quantify what "assist" actually means?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 04:35 AM   #24
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedica View Post
Hey Everyone, I am new to this forum and am pulling the trigger on an i8 here within the next two weeks. I have a couple of questions for this forum and was hoping that it could guide me in the right direction.

1) When buying an i8, what mileage do you want to stay around?
2) Do you look at low miles more or do you look at how many owners it had?
3) Does anyone have any information on a good extended warranty company? I am noticing a lot of the 2015 i8s are almost out of warranty, and BMW financial services are quoting me $7800 for extended warranty. I was hoping there was something cheaper out there and reliable.

I'm finding some great deals between 60-70k and thought it would be best to come here and ask some questions. I've pretty much read every post on this forum since 2016 as well.

Thank you guys in advance, hopefully, I can join the group soon!
Congrats, if you already purchased?
If not, did you ever consider leasing?
I loved my i8 lease. No money down and no worries. There are some impressive lease deals now for you and anyone looking.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 04:50 AM   #25
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
Sounds like salesman BS... have you asked them to put that in writing and to quantify what "assist" actually means?
To be fair it was the Service Manager and he gave examples of many cars that were out of warranty but BMW helped with up to 90% of the cost on a major failure. As long as the car had always been with BMW for servicing etc. And not after 10 years! I do have a good relationship with the dealer but am not naive enough to know that they are in business for a reason.

I don’t know... my warranty will expire soon so I guess I will have to decide what to do then. I will be getting a quote for the extended warranty, at that time it will be a risk based decision. The only thing that has gone wrong to date has been the fuel cap release and the interior “mood lighting” that failed in part.

Big service coming up at 30k, at that time they are also doing and “end of warranty check” so we’ll see what happens!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 05:20 AM   #26
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
To be fair it was the Service Manager and he gave examples of many cars that were out of warranty but BMW helped with up to 90% of the cost on a major failure. As long as the car had always been with BMW for servicing etc. And not after 10 years! I do have a good relationship with the dealer but am not naive enough to know that they are in business for a reason.

I don’t know... my warranty will expire soon so I guess I will have to decide what to do then. I will be getting a quote for the extended warranty, at that time it will be a risk based decision. The only thing that has gone wrong to date has been the fuel cap release and the interior “mood lighting” that failed in part.

Big service coming up at 30k, at that time they are also doing and “end of warranty check” so we’ll see what happens!
My advice would be to get the warranty. My car has just passed 3 years old and as part of the final warranty check, they had to replace the front drive shaft & gaiters, a wiring loom and a couple of other bits.

The labour for the works was around 2.5 days. If we assume a labour rate of £200 per hour, that would have been £3k+ in labour alone.

Comparatively the cost of the warranty is around £1k for the year.
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #27
dedica
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
I loved my i8 lease. No money down and no worries. There are some impressive lease deals now for you and anyone looking.
I have not considered leasing, I want to stay under $1000 month and not sure that is doable with leasing.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:58 PM   #28
IS350
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have not considered leasing, I want to stay under $1000 month and not sure that is doable with leasing.
You might be surprised. Where are you based? Might you lease from another dealer for the right price?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:05 PM   #29
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
Quote:
There is a lease special for $1099 plus taxes
2015 M4 (ED Aug 2014) Austin Yellow/Sakhir Orange, EXEC, DCT, LED, Driver Assist (SOLD)
2015 328GT (ED Apr 15), White, loaded (Wife's)
2012 X3 2.8, Dark Blue/Red (Wife's SOLD)
Retired: 2011 535i, ED / 2008 335is / 2006 525i ED,
2003 525i ED / 2002 Audi TT
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #30
Culminator
Rep
Drives: BMW I8

BMW pick up the cost of out of warranty repairs? Not a chance!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #31
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culminator View Post
BMW pick up the cost of out of warranty repairs? Not a chance!!!!
Of course they do in some cases.
My defective turbo was replaced at no costs (except fluids) though the warranty was over 2'000 mi ago. We talk about 6'000$ total for replacement.
The car had one pre owner and was always serviced by BMW. I'm also customer for many years there.

As someone said, you certainly have to worry less about the E part than about the ICE part. But the ICE part is essentially a simple standard 3 cyl unit used in many normal BMWs. Big special costs such as with an Ferrari or McLaren are not an issue here. Except the twin turbo, whose replacement however is costly for every car.

I would save the money for extended warranty and put it aside as I did.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #32
IS350
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptpa View Post
Quote:
Quote:
There is a lease special for $1099 plus taxes
Guessing that's for the coupe?
Appreciate 0