BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Fix-it ticket for license and tinting - Ca.

Had an unfortunate end to my road trip to Utah when shortly after re-entering California, I was pulled over by the Highway Patrol and given a fix-it ticket for not having a front license plate and for tinting on the side windows. I know how to deal with the license plate (temporarily install it using a tow hook mounted bracket), but am wondering what options I might have for the tinting. The most obvious is to remove the tint and have it re-installed, but the CHP officer actually mentioned another option, which is to get a prescription from an optometrist indicating a need for tinting based on light sensitive eyes. I was kind of surprised he would even offer up a suggestion, so am curious if anyone out there has ever explored this option. Probably unlikely my optometrist would go along with it, but it might be worth my asking. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

I am very surprised you got pulled over for no front plate. I have never put my front plate on any of my cars and I've never been pulled over. I do a lot of cycling and sometimes just for fun I'll count cars with no front license plates. On some of my rides I've gotten to well over 200. By my unscientific counting methods, where I live in the East Bay (San Francisco Bay Area) 10 to 20% of the cars have no front plates. Around here ticketing someone for no front plate would be completely arbitrary and that's probably what happened to you. Eye-catching car? Maybe he noticed the tint and the missing plate was a target of opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
Maybe he noticed the tint and the missing plate was a target of opportunity.
Actually, it was the other way around. He was parked in the median of the freeway and apparantly spotted the missing front plate first as I was approaching him, as he quickly pulled out in front of me with his lights already flashing. He then let me pass him so he could pull in behind me to pull me over. I was pretty surprised too that he caught it, but he must have been low on his quota of tickets for the day and wasn't seeing enough speeders.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:44 PM   #4
char1982
Rep
Drives: 2014 i8 white w/ frozn gray

My sister got a ticket for tint a couple years ago.. when the ticket arrived in the mail there was the option to pay a fine or get it removed. She paid the fine and kept the tint
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by char1982 View Post
My sister got a ticket for tint a couple years ago.. when the ticket arrived in the mail there was the option to pay a fine or get it removed. She paid the fine and kept the tint
I'm thinking of doing the same with mine. Does anyone know if there are more serious consequences if one doesn't correct the violations and gets caught again, or would it just simply be a repeat of the fine from the first time?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Marc45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

When I was in CA I would get a no front plate ticket once a year. I considered it a tax and just paid it. I also got a front plate tow hook mount to get the fix-it removed. The tint was a problem so I would just keep the windows rolled down when I saw a cop. We moved to a state with no front plate req. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45 View Post
When I was in CA I would get a no front plate ticket once a year. I considered it a tax and just paid it. I also got a front plate tow hook mount to get the fix-it removed. The tint was a problem so I would just keep the windows rolled down when I saw a cop. We moved to a state with no front plate req. Nice.
Park in Chicago with no front plate and you will pay....every time. Including airport parking lots!
Appreciate 0