Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

I think I am done with BMW. This is ridiculous.

I got my i8 roadster 4 months ago and it has 3,800 miles. Yesterday as I was slowing down for a red light 2 censors went off. 'Drivetrain Malfunction' and 'Regenerative Breaking disabled'. Previously I had the i8 coupe for 3 years and the same shit happened to me 3 times.

To say this is frustrating would be an understatement as I have to take it to the service center tomorrow. On top of that I had to get carplay because the bluetooth would disconnect every 2 minutes.

For a car with a sticker price of 167k this just should not be happening in under 4k miles.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      07-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
I got my i8 roadster 4 months ago and it has 3,800 miles. Yesterday as I was slowing down for a red light 2 censors went off. 'Drivetrain Malfunction' and 'Regenerative Breaking disabled'. Previously I had the i8 coupe for 3 years and the same shit happened to me 3 times.

To say this is frustrating would be an understatement as I have to take it to the service center tomorrow. On top of that I had to get carplay because the bluetooth would disconnect every 2 minutes.

For a car with a sticker price of 167k this just should not be happening in under 4k miles.
I feel for ya man and hope everything works out in your favor. Knock on wood, I've had good luck although my M5's fuel pump went down and left me stranded. BMW did come pickup the car and fix it no cost, save for my time.
Let us know how it all works out.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #3
Barago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8/ghibli

Had a 2016 coupe for almost 30 months- not one issue. Possibly the most reliable car I’ve owned.

My roadster is brand new so can’t say anything yet- but it feels solid.

You may have gotten a lemon- which happens and totally sucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:

I had a similar issue with my 2014 and they had to replace the brake pedal sensor ... FYI. That was stuck in customs for a month thanks to the latest geopolitical tensions, but I digress.

Sorry to hear about your issues, it can be disheartening but driving the car can hopefully cure that
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barago View Post
Had a 2016 coupe for almost 30 months- not one issue. Possibly the most reliable car I’ve owned.

My roadster is brand new so can’t say anything yet- but it feels solid.

You may have gotten a lemon- which happens and totally sucks.
wow thats amazing! I had the 2017 coupe before this roadster and that same issue happened 3 times in 36 months.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
buddenfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Apparently they needed to order some parts from Germany which take 7-10 days to come in so while my i8 Rodaster has been in the service department for a week now I have been in a 530 loaner.

Very disappointed with BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #7
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

My older 2015 i8 was in service for 3 weeks; luckily it was a lease and BMW reimbursed a full month lease
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Apparently they needed to order some parts from Germany which take 7-10 days to come in so while my i8 Rodaster has been in the service department for a week now I have been in a 530 loaner.

Very disappointed with BMW
Your dealership definitely sucks.

When I had my i8 serviced- first loaner was an i3. Second was an i8.