Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 07:25 AM   #24
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Update:
I went to the dealer and live demonstrated this sound. They say, it's a normal compressor sound. I must say, that we were outside at a charching station, so it didn't sound as "loud" as in my garage. Somehow logic. They now recorded it and will compare it with another i8.
My friend who works at this dealer as a sales, also asked two top i- technician from other dealership and BMW Headquater Switzerland. Both haven't jet seen comressor failures on i8's and i3's.

Will update again, when the comparison with the other i8 is done.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #25
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
On the i3 side, the 14s and 15s seem to suffer this, but I've never seen any cars newer than that have the issue. There's a ton of part revisions that make it seem like BMW was actively tackling it with redesigns.

Looks like the i8 part has gone through a bunch of revisions, as well. I suspect newer cars will suffer this failure less.
Attached Images

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport

Last edited by Obioban; 11-03-2020 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:25 AM   #26
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

So will the newest part fit the oldest cars ? (mine's a 2014).
no sound from the AC, but it think the ac is sometimes going wonky, cooling too much or too little.
Was thinking about having the shop replace the compressor.
Anyone know a good source for a cheap new model ?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:35 PM   #27
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

Can people who have had the compressor fail please answer some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
On the i3 side, the 14s and 15s seem to suffer this, but I've never seen any cars newer than that have the issue. There's a ton of part revisions that make it seem like BMW was actively tackling it with redesigns.

Looks like the i8 part has gone through a bunch of revisions, as well. I suspect newer cars will suffer this failure less.
I think you might be right, but let's be sure. We have all this data here, just lying around. But it needs to be collected and shared.

I was going to post this exact screen shot and start a new thread, but I would like to keep the momentum of this one going.

I have a 2014 with 2000 miles on it.

Only "after" buying it, did I see Pat's video. Well, Crap.

Technically it is covered by the California 7 year warranty rule for the list of "emissions" items, but only till some time in 2021. Then I am on my own. I refuse to buy an aftermarket warranty. I am sure they would try to find a way to weasel out of this, if it happened.

I have zero issues with the A/C compressor, but am 99% convinced I want the original 2014 compressor replaced with the latest superseding part. I would pay out of pocket--but knowing if later year i8s do NOT have the issue would help me (and perhaps, others) decide. Yes the last compressor on that list should work, since it names the year ranges of the previous parts and the cars they came on, and then says "ENDED" and a new part number takes over, and then THAT one is ENDED and another one replaces it.

Fishy. Reminds me of the HPFP problem on all the twin turbo straight 6s.

interestingly, that compressor part number does not cross over to the i3, according to RealOEM.

So, if you have had this issue, lets see if Obioban's right and that only earlier i3s and i8s have ever had the compressor fail.

Please take a second to answer ALL the questions, not just some, but all of them. It will help us all, and eventually could end up putting some pressure on BMW and perhaps a settlement for those they did not cover, and some coverage for the rest of us.

1] what year was your i8 (or pal's i3)

2]how many miles?

3] what kind of climate?

4] what kind of driving did you generally do? Mostly highway, mostly commute/stop and go, etc.

5] anything else you can think of that might make a difference. What specifically was happening when it coded, or you noticed a new noise? On startup?--then what happened the previous time you drove it. Started while driving, etc?

P.S. Not to mention, 2014 i8 at 2000 miles, I was driving on some somewhat uneven concrete pavement on the highway and a rear shock started to clunk and vibrate. (now broken and leaking oil) And-- just because it's a TSB-- does not mean BMW will pay for it. I am out of BMW warranty. I was quoted something outrageous like $4800 to do a job that AllData, which they use--according to my service rep, calls for 4 hours tops, per shock, for two shocks. I bought a pair myself for $1300 shipped from BMW of Atlanta online. Retail they are $890 each. I'll do the job myself or have my indy do it.

Last edited by mws; 06-15-2021 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:38 AM   #28
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

request to admin to make this a sticky at the top of the forum

request to admin to make this a sticky at the top of the forum

lets use the forum for what forums are good for, please.

if you want a new thread that only has the issue, and the questionnaire in it, please respond, and we can make that sticky, instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #29
MGRMLN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GT-R Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
Yours sounds louder than mine.
Hey Pat,

Mine sounds exactly like this.
So, is the guidance to just wait until it gets worse or bring it in?
Mine has started to "ignore" the the auto climate setting and cool way too much and then cool very little.
I should book it in, no?

Thanks as always,

Minsoo
Appreciate 0