04-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Lease Turn In - Tires on i3

The lease is coming to end in Oct. The car will need rear tires at a minimum (3.16mm lowest). Maybe front's too (3.6mm lowest). BMW requires 3.125mm thread depth. Nothing close to minimum legal tread depth, 1.5875mm.

Last time I turned in an I3, BMW billed me for two tires. I had and currently have the same 20" wheels. BMW only charged $175 for both rear tires last time. Which is way less than what two tires would have cost me. Not sure how they got that number but I'm wondering:

Should I wait until Oct and turn in my car with tires as is or should I put new tires on myself and get some use out of them for a few months?

Is there a way of knowing how much BMW lease return would charge me for tires beforehand?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
The lease is coming to end in Oct. The car will need rear tires [...] Last time I turned in an I3, BMW billed me for two tires. I had and currently have the same 20" wheels. BMW only charged $175 for both rear tires last time. Which is way less than what two tires would have cost me. Not sure how they got that number but I'm wondering:

Should I wait until Oct and turn in my car with tires as is or should I put new tires on myself and get some use out of them for a few months?
I went through the same thought process 3 months ago as I was lease returning my i3.
I had 19" tires, and it would have been only $50 cheaper to swap the tires myself at regular TireRack prices (net of shipping, mounting and balancing).

However, I google around, and found out that Discount Tire Direct was advertising $150 off sale on eBay orders of two plus (2+) tires. I ordered 2 pairs, saved $300 off on those two transactions, came out $350 ahead vs. BMW NA bold tire return fees.

Here is the link to DTD, not sure what the current prices are for your sizes:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/discounttir...72.m2749.l2754

YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
Is there a way of knowing how much BMW lease return would charge me for tires beforehand?
Yes.
The easiest is to schedule a pre-lease-return inspection at your local dealer. They will assess the dings, scratches, curbed wheels, and worn tires, and estimate the "check-out" bill if you don't fix things.

There is probably a place to call to get the answer on tires out of BMW NA directly, but I'm not sure what that is.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 04-29-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
TimeFor179.50