BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

12-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #1
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Started hearing Whining noise at slower speeds, wondering if anoyone can help

so, I had my car in for service for regular fluids items. I don't know if it was related but started hearing this whining noise coming from the rear. It sounds like a differential whine or maybe motor, but it's defitinely related to accelarating. It's very noiseable around 20-25 miles and builds up or goes down as speed increases or goes down. I had the car in for service, the tech was able to verify the noise, but couldn't find an issue when checking the car. Thought maybe it was a motor mount, but it checked out. Not sure if the car has a diff or tranny, but like I said, the sound builds up with increase speed and goes down with decelaration. It's kinda like the car used to do with the electric sound before when driving slow, but it's definitely louder now and sounds like something is off.

Anyone have anything similar or know what it could be? I hope its not the electric motor going bad. I have the I3rex, if that makes a difference, but the noise is only on the electric motor driving. It's super annyoing now that I can hear especially since I do drive with the music off sometimes for the peace and quite.
      12-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The car has only one motor, so it must have a differential. There is also a gearbox, but it has only one gear, that is always selected. Based on your symptoms, I would guess a broken bearing somewhere in the driveline.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
so, I had my car in for service for regular fluids items. I don't know if it was related but started hearing this whining noise coming from the rear. It sounds like a differential whine or maybe motor, but it's defitinely related to accelarating. It's very noiseable around 20-25 miles and builds up or goes down as speed increases or goes down. I had the car in for service, the tech was able to verify the noise, but couldn't find an issue when checking the car. Thought maybe it was a motor mount, but it checked out. Not sure if the car has a diff or tranny, but like I said, the sound builds up with increase speed and goes down with decelaration. It's kinda like the car used to do with the electric sound before when driving slow, but it's definitely louder now and sounds like something is off.

Anyone have anything similar or know what it could be? I hope its not the electric motor going bad. I have the I3rex, if that makes a difference, but the noise is only on the electric motor driving. It's super annyoing now that I can hear especially since I do drive with the music off sometimes for the peace and quite.
Well whatever it is at least the parts are cheap!

The trans is only like $400 bucks and the electric motor is around $1500 prolly because of all the copper!

Those are wholesale prices off get bmw parts.com.

That was also a while ago so not sure what the prices are now since last time I checked.

Not 30k like my x5 engine was!
Or 8k for the transmission!

It's great what simplicity gets you!

Labor however that will get you!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
Hewlettk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M pack

Garage List
2015 I3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post

Reduction gear. Have two i3s with 40,000 and 20,000 miles, no noise. Just wondering how many miles you have? My 2014 Tesla S had the reduction gear replaced at about 12,000 miles. I regularly hear older model Ss with a whining sound. They seem to keep running, but the sound is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewlettk View Post
Reduction gear. Have two i3s with 40,000 and 20,000 miles, no noise. Just wondering how many miles you have? My 2014 Tesla S had the reduction gear replaced at about 12,000 miles. I regularly hear older model Ss with a whining sound. They seem to keep running, but the sound is annoying.
I have 30k miles right now. It seems to drive fine, but it is very annoying. Plus it feels like something is off and thererfore feeling like i'm damaging something further.
      01-29-2023, 04:35 PM   #6
collings290
Registered
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Whining noise getting louder

I have an i3 Rex with the same whining noise. It is getting progressively louder. Car has 125k miles on it, so has been used.

What is the reduction gear?
Can it be replaced or serviced?
Or, if it is in oil should that be changed?

Apologies, a bit late to this post.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 02:27 PM   #7
dvaldor
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw i3

2014 i3 REX with 90k miles, I am not sure if the noise is something like the reduction gear or maybe the programmed noise the car should make?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 11:39 PM   #8
ronbot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BEV, Arravani Gray, Tera

If the whine is rather high pitched, it's the drive motor bearings. Some guys says it's not so, but many i3 owners are getting this problem. New motor required, bearings not replaceable. Expect $7225 repair cost. Newer years models (2018 and later, maybe 2017) have a redesigned motor with better bearings... this part is used for all year repair part.
First, you need to get a proper diagnosis so that when you eventually call BMW NA Corporate headquarters, iConcierge, and request good will hell, they will at least recognize this common problem. See. my video and all the comments I've left... but BMW determined that my car was disqualified because of the high mileage... 94k miles and it's not worth repairing... that's their determination.... and I'm not happy...

My concern is that if the motor bearing is bad enough to allow the rotor to move around, it may also be destroying the Transaxle input shaft bearing as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 10:49 PM   #9
Vodka G
Rep
Drives: A Horse

Yep i got a 2017 with 80k miles, same issue not lights, just loud whining noise. is in the dealership right now and is the diff/e gearbox. Might is leaking a little.....let's see how much it will be....my guess is around 2k
      01-05-2024, 12:09 PM   #10
Vbodsworth@icloud.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Whinin engine

I have a 2015 i3 Rex with 80000 miles on the clock and I have the whine. Most noticeable at 20 to 30 mph. But the local BMW garage just charged me over £250 not to find the cause. ThevBMW diagnostics are no help.
If I could know whether Irvin’s the motor or the differential I could get a quote and have it fixed
I am currently investigating sourcing the whole electric power train from a recent wreck and getting a non BMW garage to fix but I woul love
Beto hear othersvexperience
Appreciate 0