jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
The lease is up in a few months and I've thoroughly enjoyed the last 3 i3's I've leased for dirt cheap! I absolutely love this car. It's just the perfect car to get around in hassle free while still being fun to drive.

I still have a $36k balance and I just can't see paying that much for this car after getting spoiled with a $200/mo lease payment after all the incentives, rebates, and discounts etc that I took advantage of. Sure, that means I leased this car very very well, but now I don't want to give it up. Considering the inflated values of all used cars right now, and the fact that this car is perfectly speced for me (Giga World, BV, Tech Package, Moon Roof, wheels) I'm finding it hard to find a used option that will save me any money.

I feel I must say goodbye to one of the best cars I've ever owned. It saddens me and I haven't found a solution. Anyone else in the same boat?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      01-03-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
The lease is up in a few months and I've thoroughly enjoyed the last 3 i3's I've leased for dirt cheap! I absolutely love this car. It's just the perfect car to get around in hassle free while still being fun to drive.

I still have a $36k balance and I just can't see paying that much for this car after getting spoiled with a $200/mo lease payment after all the incentives, rebates, and discounts etc that I took advantage of. Sure, that means I leased this car very very well, but now I don't want to give it up. Considering the inflated values of all used cars right now, and the fact that this car is perfectly speced for me (Giga World, BV, Tech Package, Moon Roof, wheels) I'm finding it hard to find a used option that will save me any money.

I feel I must say goodbye to one of the best cars I've ever owned. It saddens me and I haven't found a solution. Anyone else in the same boat?
I've never leased a car before. Sad though you have so much left to pay.

I pay about $158/mo on a used 2017 with 32k since last may. Total price was 16,900. Things's like new
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615202.00
      01-03-2022, 09:02 PM   #3
2mAn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & an old Alfa

There’s no way they can get that as a used sales car, even a CPO.

Start looking for a similar car on the used market. I’m sure it’s out there for $10k less
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 09:35 PM   #4
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post

I've never leased a car before. Sad though you have so much left to pay.

I pay about $158/mo on a used 2017 with 32k since last may. Total price was 16,900. Things's like new
On a lease you are only paying depreciation so a high residual is a good thing. It means I paid very little compared to what the car is worth. It perfect if you plan on upgrading every few years, which I did for 3 consecutive i3 leases, but now that the i3 is done, I'm left with the dilemma.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:09 AM   #5
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Your contracted residual is not what you are expected to pay to buy out the lease.

I'm not up to speed on what it's like now, but back in early 2020, BMWFS would bake in a "Customer Purchase Incentive" into your payoff letter about 30 days prior your lease maturity date. My F31 was $4500, and some i3s were getting way more. I think it just depends how many cars are flooding the market.

That said, things may have changed since then, especially with the car market now. I recommend you generate a payoff letter in MyBMW.com during the last month of your lease and find a CA willing to work with you to do the lease-to-loan conversion. I found one here:

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/how-t...w-lease/373626
jmg18663.00