BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Toxic Work Environment

Has anyone ever been in a shitty work environment? Here is the situation I am currently in-

1) was brought into a team and company that seemed very structured and was making good money
2) turned out, within a few months; company was not making good money and had expenses thru the roof and lost a lost of money
3) management team was completely replaced by a bunch of dimwits that dont care about the people at all... CEO has no idea what he is doing (that got himself into his own HR mess), CFO is a part time employee, and the new VPs is borderline unprofessional
4) direct manager is very junior and a moron that doesn't resolve any conflict; and doesn't deal with any confrontation... he brought a lady back to our team that everyone wanted to fire and has now created even more conflict within our team

My exit strategy is already slowly planned but how did people tough out BS like this? It's amazing to see how something that was once decent fell into the dumps so quick.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3

What kind of business?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Stick it out for the show or just find another interesting gig.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #4
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Has anyone ever been in a shitty work environment?
LOL. Now_Rudi where you at?
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13152.00
wrickem2101.00
Run Silent15127.00
      02-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Get out, folks will hunker down because actually leaving is hard.
Appreciate 5
      02-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Has anyone ever been in a shitty work environment? Here is the situation I am currently in-

1) was brought into a team and company that seemed very structured and was making good money
2) turned out, within a few months; company was not making good money and had expenses thru the roof and lost a lost of money
3) management team was completely replaced by a bunch of dimwits that dont care about the people at all... CEO has no idea what he is doing (that got himself into his own HR mess), CFO is a part time employee, and the new VPs is borderline unprofessional
4) direct manager is very junior and a moron that doesn't resolve any conflict; and doesn't deal with any confrontation... he brought a lady back to our team that everyone wanted to fire and has now created even more conflict within our team

My exit strategy is already slowly planned but how did people tough out BS like this? It's amazing to see how something that was once decent fell into the dumps so quick.
LOL. Now_Rudi where you at?
Oh man.....

ASAP I'm in a similar situation. Although my environment has changed and the employees I work directly with have finally realized that I'm not the devil; the company now finds itself in distress.

I'm currently faced with the decision of looking for a new job or riding the wave until it crashes. Ultimately these are the only two choices you really have.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #7
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Why stay and deal with it if it's not a good looking term fit?

Get out now, job market is insanely good for employees right now. We can't even fill positions ATM. Anyone we like has multiple offers or accepts another position prior to us finishing the hiring process.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post

Get out now, job market is insanely good for employees right now. We can't even fill positions ATM. Anyone we like has multiple offers or accepts another position prior to us finishing the hiring process.
My wife is a director at a recruiting company, this is exactly what she deals with every day. Constantly get candidates bailing because they accept another offer.

Goes to show how overly-complex some companies hiring processes are. If you like the guy, don't wait, just throw a number and see if it sticks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpinc View Post
What kind of business?
manufacturing but owned by private equity
      02-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post

This is already in the works... screw this place; they dont appreciate the people that put in the hard work; didnt give out the bonus or raises and now are asking for more and more after their own screwups.
      02-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #11
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Doesn't this sound familiar...

I'm finishing up my exit strategy right now in fact. Been with the company for seven years with a lot of myself put into it. I'm at my breaking point and getting ready to take a drastic career change. The most difficult part of it is leaving a company that I care about, but I'm at wit's end.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10054.00
      02-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Just leave and find another job. I leave at the first sign of stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #13
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, there's your problem right there. Did you not ask if they were PE or VC owned when starting? Every PE or VC owned company will tell you they have a "buy and hold" strategy and they are all full of sh*t. You can make good money and have a really interesting time working for a PE of VC funded company, IF, you are in a management position and can contribute directly to their cost cutting, growth, and eventual flip/sell strategy. If you are just a worker-bee expect to be exploited for all you're worth. it will be miserable.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      02-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, there's your problem right there. Did you not ask if they were PE or VC owned when starting? Every PE or VC owned company will tell you they have a "buy and hold" strategy and they are all full of sh*t. You can make good money and have a really interesting time working for a PE of VC funded company, IF, you are in a management position and can contribute directly to their cost cutting, growth, and eventual flip/sell strategy. If you are just a worker-bee expect to be exploited for all you're worth. it will be miserable.
you are absolutely 100% right... I did know but it was my first foray into this world; that mistake wont be made again; fwiw any job i take from hear on out should in theory be easy
      02-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #15
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
you are absolutely 100% right... I did know but it was my first foray into this world; that mistake wont be made again; fwiw any job i take from hear on out should in theory be easy
Yeah, it's best to steer clear of those situations unless you are after the experience and not the paycheck. I learned the hard way when I joined a VC backed company that was "poised to sell" and took a lower salary in exchange for company stock that would cash out upon sale. Well guess what, 7 years later we found ourselves literally days away from running out of money and the company was sold on fire sale for pennies on the dollar. All employee held stock was liquidated as part of the sale and us worker bees got nothing. After that the "cost cutting" began and heads began to roll. I got out at that point.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, it's best to steer clear of those situations unless you are after the experience and not the paycheck. I learned the hard way when I joined a VC backed company that was "poised to sell" and took a lower salary in exchange for company stock that would cash out upon sale. Well guess what, 7 years later we found ourselves literally days away from running out of money and the company was sold on fire sale for pennies on the dollar. All employee held stock was liquidated as part of the sale and us worker bees got nothing. After that the "cost cutting" began and heads began to roll. I got out at that point.
The thing is this started off really positively; the CFO at the time became real close to me; the moment the board realized they were losing money... things changed overnight. The CFO is now long gone and everyone left is a straight shark trying to exploit everyone to the max. The funniest part of this whole thing; the economy is booming and they could care less about employee turnover. Not only do I do my job but there is always an expectation for more and this lack of structure / management makes it that much more difficult. They are saying we should be lucky to have jobs after not giving raises... fuck em.
      02-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
The thing is this started off really positively; the CFO at the time became real close to me; the moment the board realized they were losing money... things changed overnight. The CFO is now long gone and everyone left is a straight shark trying to exploit everyone to the max. The funniest part of this whole thing; the economy is booming and they could care less about employee turnover. Not only do I do my job but there is always an expectation for more and this lack of structure / management makes it that much more difficult. They are saying we should be lucky to have jobs after not giving raises... fuck em.
Yeah, that's what happened to me at the place I mentioned. One of the best parts of the job was the world-class depth of executive management talent. The CEO, CFO, CTO, COO, VP engineering, VP of Sales, etc. All star players who were either fired or just quit when things turned bad. These guys went on to bigger careers at Apple, Tesla, and the like. They were replaced with total f'ing morons whose only motivation was their own pocketbooks at the expense of everyone and everything else.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10054.00
      02-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #18
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Get out, folks will hunker down because actually leaving is hard.
This. I would sooner take a cut in pay than to be part of a toxic work environment.

Don’t be complacent; move on. And until you do, find a way to keep your perspective. No job is worth the angst produced by a toxic work environment.
Appreciate 4
ASAP10054.00
King Rudi13152.00
      02-03-2019, 10:14 PM   #19
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

There isn't a point sticking around with that environment. My job made downward spiral in how they treat the employees and most of us are leaving.
      02-03-2019, 11:14 PM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      02-04-2019, 03:44 AM   #21
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Just leave and find another job. I leave at the first sign of stupidity.

Then you wont be able to keep a job, welcome to the real world!
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
Soul_Glo13293.00
MKSixer34171.50
      02-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #22
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
There is your problem "Private Equity" they are only interest in pulling out any cash they can. There are PE firms who go around and buy up various businesses and hopes they can skim off profits when times are good then shut it down when times are bad. Right now its good to be in Manufacturing, lots of stuff coming back from Asia. Only time it could be good is when the original owners are kept around, but most times there are not. I Works with lots of manufacturers in the US and do not like the one where they are own by PE. I rather deal with owners who work in the business or a really larger company who knows what they are doing.

Last edited by Maestro; 02-06-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0