Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
BMW IX Coding Thread

===
IMPORTANT UPDATE
===

With the lease of software 03-23 (ISTA 4.40.12) BMW has moved the head unit to Coding2.0 / Secure Coding. This means that coding the IX is now pretty much impossible. As it stands only the RAM module is not included in the Secure Coding list. It's a sad reality but the days of DIY coding BWMs are truly coming to an end.

Full list of models and modules requiring secure coding with the 4.40.xx update can be found here

===

BMW has moved to a new Coding 2.0 model which is making it very difficult to do any kind of code modification to the IX. This thread is intended to be the source of truth on this forum for all things IX-coding related (can we make this sticky please)

The Current State:
This is a table of modules contained in the IX (mine, x40, without B&W and Towbar, everything else present and accounted for)

Code:
PSDZDATA VER: 		4.38.11
MODULE NAME		CAFD
____________			____
SM3-6D				NA
ACSM6				NA
ADCAM2			NA
BCP_BASIS			NA
CCU2				NA
DKOMBI8			NA
EPS5				NA
FLM4-43				NA
FLM4-44				NA
FRR3				NA
FZD_ETH			NA
GWS3				NA
HKFM3				NA
HU_MGU			NA
HVS2				NA
IB_BRS				NA
IB_VIP				NA
MPAD_PP			NA
MPAD_SSC			NA
NFC					NA
RAM				AVAILABLE
RLM-17				NA
RLM2-1A			NA
SM3-6E				NA
SPM2				NA
SRR2_ECU			NA
SRR2_SENSOR-8		NA
SRR2_SENSOR-20		NA
SRR2_SENSOR-28		NA
SRR2_SENSPR-2A		NA
TSG-72				NA
TSG-74				NA
TSG-75				NA
TSG-77				NA
UCAP				NA
WAVE				NA
ZBE5				NA
What can be coded?
Head unit options - mostly vanity features but notably video playback from USB can be added.

What are the challenges?
BMW has moved to a cloud based coding infrastructure meaning that the CAFD (software) files for the various modules are no longer distributed in offline software packs.

Without the CAFD files for modules retrofit coding is all but impossible. E.g, if you wanted to retrofit Laser Headlights, you can add the hardware (assuming that the connections and wiring are the same) but there is no way to code them to the car since the required module files are not available for coding.

Another example is heated steering wheel. While it's possible to add the option to the climate menu in iDrive 8 by coding the MGU it's not possible to actually activate the heating function since the MGU needs to communicate to the BCP which in turn communicates to the steering wheel electronics. Since two of the three required module files are not available for coding a retrofit is not possible.

Another challenge relates to the trimmed nature of CAFD files. BMW started removing the "nice" names for functions from the software files a while ago, requiring the CAFD and NCD files to be decoded and mapped. This adds significant overhead to a coding project, since any new software version has to be manually decoded and mapped. You also have to pay for commercial services like EsysX or BimmerUtility in order to translate your trimmed NCD file into a decoded one that you can flash to the car.

What about the future?
At the moment the coding prospects for IX (and newer models) does not look promising unless BMW moves back to an offline model for coding or someone with access to the files in the cloud leaks them, and leaks them after every update.

Last edited by hugo_nz; 03-01-2023 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 13
Paladin15556.00
deutsch1003946.50
q_e36.00
JonoNZ679.50
BeeBop192.50
ricerboi836.00
slampert162.00
mcl117.00
Jason40864.50
      10-25-2022, 09:46 PM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Mark can we make this a sticky please?
      10-29-2022, 11:45 PM   #3
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Update:
I messed around with the latest software files for the head-unit. Nothing groundbreaking there at all I'm afraid.

Next up, I'll delve into the RAM module. It seems to be the gatekeeper for the ambient light settings, and from what I've seen in the software file we should be able to mix up the colour layering of the default lighting profiles (rather than have it all be one colour throughout the interior).
sahajesh2294.00
Paladin15556.00
mcl117.00
      01-18-2023, 03:38 PM   #4
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Update:

I have been experimenting with a few things and want to share some observations:

* Full PSZData still does not include CAF files for modules other than RAM, CCU, MGU and HSHV. Of those, only RAM and MGU can be coded. SWFL and BTLD files are present.

* Coding changes don't stick or have no impact on iDrive. For example, ambient lighting layers are controlled in the RAM unit, but changing the layer colour settings has no impact on iDrive or the actual colours displayed in the car.

* Enabling non-standard features like eSim does not translate to those settings appearing on iDrive. Even with an FA code the correct parameters appear in the MGU CAF but nothing changes on iDrive.
      01-24-2023, 07:46 PM   #5
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Update:

I can confirm that the CAF files are not present in the dealer level software either (e.g, the software used by the dealership workshops)
      01-24-2023, 07:53 PM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Update:

I can confirm that the CAF files are not present in the dealer level software either (e.g, the software used by the dealership workshops)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 10:54 AM   #7
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

Have you been able to code anything at all? Like warnings
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 12:07 PM   #8
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmm12345 View Post
Have you been able to code anything at all? Like warnings
Yes, those can be coded out of iDrive (the nag screens). But anything that relies on other modules (seatbelt reminders) cannot be coded with esys. They are possible with ISTA though, but not DIY since you need a secure connection to BMW to get the files.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2023, 12:48 PM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, those can be coded out of iDrive (the nag screens). But anything that relies on other modules (seatbelt reminders) cannot be coded with esys. They are possible with ISTA though, but not DIY since you need a secure connection to BMW to get the files.
Waiting for the next BimmerCode update to support the iX even if it’s just for the disclaimers…. I just emailed them asking if they have pending update for the iX…
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 02:55 PM   #10
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Update:

From a dealer perspective there is only a single retrofit that has been sanctioned by BMW; Towbar (ROW only, excludes USA). This is relevant because some folks had the hands-free tailgate deleted due to parts shortages, and the question was asked if it would show up as a modification or retrofit later on. At this point, the answer is "no".
      01-25-2023, 03:00 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Update:

From a dealer perspective there is only a single retrofit that has been sanctioned by BMW; Towbar (ROW only, excludes USA). This is relevant because some folks had the hands-free tailgate deleted due to parts shortages, and the question was asked if it would show up as a modification or retrofit later on. At this point, the answer is "no".
#Shocker. For those of you looking at the aftermarket solutions for towing, note that they are not meant to actually tow trailers or anything like that. Although it doesn’t show it on some of the 3rd-party product websites, buried in the documentation it says you should only use it for bike carriers and things like that. In other words, no integration or wiring to the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 04:39 PM   #12
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
#Shocker. For those of you looking at the aftermarket solutions for towing, note that they are not meant to actually tow trailers or anything like that. Although it doesn’t show it on some of the 3rd-party product websites, buried in the documentation it says you should only use it for bike carriers and things like that. In other words, no integration or wiring to the car itself.
This is only true for the US market. The retrofit refers to the official BMW retrofit which is a full-fat towbar.
      01-26-2023, 07:13 AM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BimmerCode will support the iX and it’s limited modules soon. Here is their response to my inquiry:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 10:17 AM   #14
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

Quote:
Can you make a list of what you were able to code, and in which modules?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #15
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Not sure I agree with this if I step back to look at the ROW. For the US market, this might be partially accurate. BMW hasn't had the best track record to support towing in the US market and it starts with the X5 (limited trailer brake support, etc.). That said, this is interesting as it's direct from BMW on some upcoming changes...
BMW iX now with manually activated heat management for the high-voltage battery, plus the Trailer Assistant.

All model variants of the purely electrically driven BMW iX will be equipped with a further developed version of the predictive heat management technology for the high-voltage battery from March 2023. As in the BMW i7, it will be possible to initiate pre-warming of the battery manually and when the navigation system’s route guidance is not active. Warming the battery ahead of a charging stop optimises the absorption of energy when topping up at a DC fast-charging station. Waste heat from the electric motors is used to adjust the temperature of the battery.

The Driving Assistant fitted as standard on the BMW iX will also include the Trailer Assistant from March 2023. This function carries out the necessary steering movements during reversing manoeuvres when a trailer is coupled to the vehicle.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...or-spring-2023
      01-26-2023, 12:24 PM   #16
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Not sure I agree with this if I step back to look at the ROW. For the US market, this might be partially accurate. BMW hasn't had the best track record to support towing in the US market and it starts with the X5 (limited trailer brake support, etc.). That said, this is interesting as it's direct from BMW on some upcoming changes...
BMW iX now with manually activated heat management for the high-voltage battery, plus the Trailer Assistant.

All model variants of the purely electrically driven BMW iX will be equipped with a further developed version of the predictive heat management technology for the high-voltage battery from March 2023. As in the BMW i7, it will be possible to initiate pre-warming of the battery manually and when the navigation system’s route guidance is not active. Warming the battery ahead of a charging stop optimises the absorption of energy when topping up at a DC fast-charging station. Waste heat from the electric motors is used to adjust the temperature of the battery.

The Driving Assistant fitted as standard on the BMW iX will also include the Trailer Assistant from March 2023. This function carries out the necessary steering movements during reversing manoeuvres when a trailer is coupled to the vehicle.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...or-spring-2023
I was referring to some of the aftermarket solutions…. I was reading about one and I noticed the language in the installation guide about never towing anything like a trailer. It’s really meant for bike racks and accessories like that that don’t require any brake wiring. Getting a BMW retrofit is all but possible right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 12:05 AM   #17
Don Juan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i, 2020 I3s Bev

I need to install a hitch to carry bikes and a small basket but I'm afraid that the rear sensors will go crazy when detecting something. In my former X7 there was an option in the I drive to select towing and that deactivated the rear sensors...does anyone know if that can be coded ?
2020 X7 MSport 40i
2020 I3s Bev
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 11:20 PM   #18
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Juan View Post
I need to install a hitch to carry bikes and a small basket but I'm afraid that the rear sensors will go crazy when detecting something. In my former X7 there was an option in the I drive to select towing and that deactivated the rear sensors...does anyone know if that can be coded ?
Nope it cannot be coded since the control modules are not accessible offline. There is a retrofit option in ISTA-D for towbar which would enable all of those functions but because the towbar isn't offered in the USA I'm uncertain if any BMW dealership would perform the retrofit.
      02-01-2023, 11:30 PM   #19
Don Juan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i, 2020 I3s Bev

Bummer..so i will have to back up very slowly when using the hitch so I don't upset the system

I just order the hitch and will see when i get it
2020 X7 MSport 40i
2020 I3s Bev
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 05:56 PM   #20
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
I’ve only really had a quick 10 minutes play but so far I’ve coded the Idrive disclaimer off and the one touch turn signal to 5 blinks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 11:09 PM   #21
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I’ve only really had a quick 10 minutes play but so far I’ve coded the Idrive disclaimer off and the one touch turn signal to 5 blinks.
Yup those MGU coding flags are the easy ones
      02-14-2023, 08:05 PM   #22
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
some folks had the hands-free tailgate deleted due to parts shortages, and the question was asked if it would show up as a modification or retrofit later on. At this point, the answer is "no".
This is what pisses me off. I have a letter from BMW that I signed upon delivery of my iX that says otherwise. Parts are plentiful, I have installed the part, and no retrofit coding in ISTA to have the dealer perform to activate the damn module!
Appreciate 0