Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-08-2021, 07:12 AM   #2773
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
their pb kashi is so hella good - be nice if they could ditch the soy though
Yeah the PB Kashi is dangerous. I made the mistake of hitting that kashi hard again last night. I am paying for it this morning lol. I'm about through my 2 boxes though, so itll be good when it is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Isn't it just beauty bark and twigs in a bag
Yeah but tasty bark and twigs haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #2774
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
15-20 minutes of specific stretches before getting out of bed and 15-20 minutes of specific stretches before bed (while in bed) for about 2 months, religiously, completely fixed my piriformis pain. After getting an MRI, it was shown that one of my lower back discs were bulging and it was triggering the pain. The pain was terrible, like a tooth ace but in my leg from below glute to down the toward my calf.

I also had pain in my forearm. I have stopped overtraining my biceps and forearms and I also make sure that when I am holding a dumbell or barbell or pullup bar, my thumb is wrapped around the bar, no more pain. Not sure if you by chance have any small children, but if you do, make sure that when you pick them up you are using your bicep, not your forearm. Same goes for holding them, use your bicep not your forearm.
What stretches were you doing? Maybe I haven't been doing the right stretches, or I'm over or under stretching. There was a period where I spent 2 weeks doing rigorous stretching and it only seemed to make my piriformis syndrome worse.

I'll try wrapping my thumb around the bars or handles. I have a tendency to not do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I'll second florida's comment in regards to the stretching. I had to rehab my lower back for near 6 months when I had sciatic nerve pain, it was awful. Some days I struggled to tie my shoes. Mingwan what kind of shape are you in currently if you do not mind me asking? I tend to attempt everything possible before I move to a more drastic treatment, thus if maybe losing a few pounds could provide some relief I would do that as well as the stretching first and foremost. The right front delt/upper pec pain sounds like more of a mobility issue to me. I'll get forearm cramping as well, but I usually just chalk that up to hydration.

It is difficult to recommend BPC-157 without knowing all that you attempted so far. The good news is that it is not like it can drastically affect your hormones or something to that regard (unlike PEDs). It is known to help with anti-inflammation, as well as other great affects. So in my eyes (again not a recommendation), it is relatively safe and effective. Another item I can not speak to is in regards to lasting affects of using BPC-157. It may be like a bandaid to an extent, unfortunately my experience with it is quite limited. Again, know of guys that have used it and stated that they were recovering, but it is difficult to determine how much of that reaction was due to placebo.
I'm not nearly in the shape I used to be, but I'm not overweight or anything like that. Since covid, I've lost about 20lbs. I'm pretty active. Workout for about 1.5-2hrs 4 times a week, and walk about 3-4 miles a day with my dog 4-5 times a week.

I guess I kind of feel like I'm in a trap. I think a big contributor to my lower back tightness and piriformis syndrome are my hamstrings. They're tight af. It's embarrassing how poor my flexibility. I legit can't bend over with my legs and back straight past 45 degrees without my hamstrings feeling super tight and causing tingling sensations in my feet. I also have a slight anterior pelvic tilt as well and I know the recommendation for that is not to stretch the hamstrings....So i guess a good starter in addition to doing what floridaorange suggested would be loosen my hamstrings up without making my anterior pelvic tilt worse.

I figured if BPC 157 was actually to be effective, I could use it as a bandaid to maybe reduce possible inflammation to help speed up recovery.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #2775
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

The stretches were given to me by an Orthopedic office after going in and being shown how. I can hear the despair in your response - because i'm familiar with it. Go see an orthopedic clinic. I wish i had gone sooner. There's about 10 different stretches - you do 4 sets of 10 seconds per leg. Here are some not all of them. GL!

https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/vide...tica-stretches

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1891.00
      01-09-2021, 03:34 AM   #2776
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Quote:
15-20 minutes of specific stretches before getting out of bed and 15-20 minutes of specific stretches before bed (while in bed) for about 2 months, religiously, completely fixed my piriformis pain. After getting an MRI, it was shown that one of my lower back discs were bulging and it was triggering the pain. The pain was terrible, like a tooth ace but in my leg from below glute to down the toward my calf.

I also had pain in my forearm. I have stopped overtraining my biceps and forearms and I also make sure that when I am holding a dumbell or barbell or pullup bar, my thumb is wrapped around the bar, no more pain. Not sure if you by chance have any small children, but if you do, make sure that when you pick them up you are using your bicep, not your forearm. Same goes for holding them, use your bicep not your forearm.
What stretches were you doing? Maybe I haven't been doing the right stretches, or I'm over or under stretching. There was a period where I spent 2 weeks doing rigorous stretching and it only seemed to make my piriformis syndrome worse.

I'll try wrapping my thumb around the bars or handles. I have a tendency to not do that.

Quote:
I'll second florida's comment in regards to the stretching. I had to rehab my lower back for near 6 months when I had sciatic nerve pain, it was awful. Some days I struggled to tie my shoes. Mingwan what kind of shape are you in currently if you do not mind me asking? I tend to attempt everything possible before I move to a more drastic treatment, thus if maybe losing a few pounds could provide some relief I would do that as well as the stretching first and foremost. The right front delt/upper pec pain sounds like more of a mobility issue to me. I'll get forearm cramping as well, but I usually just chalk that up to hydration.

It is difficult to recommend BPC-157 without knowing all that you attempted so far. The good news is that it is not like it can drastically affect your hormones or something to that regard (unlike PEDs). It is known to help with anti-inflammation, as well as other great affects. So in my eyes (again not a recommendation), it is relatively safe and effective. Another item I can not speak to is in regards to lasting affects of using BPC-157. It may be like a bandaid to an extent, unfortunately my experience with it is quite limited. Again, know of guys that have used it and stated that they were recovering, but it is difficult to determine how much of that reaction was due to placebo.
I'm not nearly in the shape I used to be, but I'm not overweight or anything like that. Since covid, I've lost about 20lbs. I'm pretty active. Workout for about 1.5-2hrs 4 times a week, and walk about 3-4 miles a day with my dog 4-5 times a week.

I guess I kind of feel like I'm in a trap. I think a big contributor to my lower back tightness and piriformis syndrome are my hamstrings. They're tight af. It's embarrassing how poor my flexibility. I legit can't bend over with my legs and back straight past 45 degrees without my hamstrings feeling super tight and causing tingling sensations in my feet. I also have a slight anterior pelvic tilt as well and I know the recommendation for that is not to stretch the hamstrings....So i guess a good starter in addition to doing what floridaorange suggested would be loosen my hamstrings up without making my anterior pelvic tilt worse.

I figured if BPC 157 was actually to be effective, I could use it as a bandaid to maybe reduce possible inflammation to help speed up recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Also while part of the issue is likely tight hamstrings - the other issue is your core strength. As we age muscles atrophy, once the core becomes weak - the lower back tends to follow. Strengthening the core, proper posture while sitting, balancing out your body and the opposing/supportive muscles to the tight areas is critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1891.00
      01-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #2777
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Pool day, swam a bit more than a mile. Felt good. Deltoid feels good. Need to watch the lower lumbar disc. Today it was fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #2778
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Also while part of the issue is likely tight hamstrings - the other issue is your core strength. As we age muscles atrophy, once the core becomes weak - the lower back tends to follow. Strengthening the core, proper posture while sitting, balancing out your body and the opposing/supportive muscles to the tight areas is critical.
Yep, posture is definitely something I need to continue working on. My posture is so compromised at this point that it’s actually uncomfortable to sit in a proper posture.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #2779
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Pool day. A bit more than a mile. Cardio felt good. Ortho system has other ideas...

Humerus to scapula, or scapula to clavicle joints, are stiff when I start swimming, but loosen up by mid-workout. Also, trapezius mid-fibers to C7/T1 area has given me trouble for many years and it is sore lately. Root cause, I think, is poor form which led to injury when weightlifting years ago. It works itself out during the workout but at the start there is some discomfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #2780
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Picked up cable machine from Costco for home gym
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #2781
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Got back in the gym this morning after a rough weekend of wedding activities. Felt good to be back, although I was pretty tired overall. Need another night of decent sleep as the weekend did not provide much of that haha. Today was back/tricep day, everything went solid for the most part, although I do feel like I strained something in my bicep. Going to be continuing to re-hydrate the next day or so, Wouldn't go as far to say I am about to start cutting, but plan to bring the calories down this week to an extent.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #2782
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Dying to get in the gym today. I've been bulking since October and feel like my shoulders aren't as big as I would like for them to be. So, I did what any modern day gentleman would do; I went to YouTube. Some new movements I'm gonna try out tonight and see how bad I can hate life for an hour.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #2783
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Pool day. A bit more than 1 mile swim as usual. Felt good. Might take a week off and give the skin a break from the chlorine. Also one shoulder feels a little over exerted so a week off will help there as well.

I haven't done a good hike in the woods lately, hopefully it will be above freezing next week to make hiking more appealing.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #2784
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Dealing with what feels like hip impingement all week. Not sure what's going on can do squats and regular leg movement but moving leg laterally or back not good. Assembled this today.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 01-23-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #2785
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Ate healthy all weekend until my neighbors ended up coming over for football yesterday. Couple drinks, few bears, and some pizza hut later I felt like hell this morning. Skipped the gym, but plan to hit it after work today. Feeling much better as the day goes on. Pizza hut never agrees with my stomach, always left feeling shitty. Lifted throughout the weekend though. Friday was Chest, saturday was back, and yesterday was shoulders. Today will be a heavy cardio to punish myself for poor eating decisions yesterday lol.

On a side note, the fiancee has started working out. She never likes taking advice from me though lol so I usually just let her do her own thing. I don't think she needs to, but she wants to be a little more tone for the wedding and I won't complain one bit haha. She already looks stellar, so any improvement is just icing on the cake!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #2786
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

That's cool, like you said if she's already in good shape it's a bonus.

I on the other hand want to throat punch my husband. He's needed to work out for years. He's gained weight and his blood work is getting out of hand. It wouldn't take much as he builds muscle pretty quick. I decided to help support him by trying various classes near our house. We tried 3 different places last week and Orange Theory he seemed to like the most. We did another OT class today and he didn't want to commit. We leave and he talks about how his schedule is never the same day to day. Mine isn't either but guess what, I find time & make it work. His next complaint was the cost. I don't see this going anywhere.

I'm so frustrated because no one helps and motivates me. I eat right and get up and work out because I feel better and like the way my body is toned. I'm getting snippy with him and legit want to punch him. Quit f'ing complaining. I don't love it each time I work out but I feel better over all and happy once I'm done. I guess I want this more than he does because I know from years of experiences the benefits. I don't know what else to do and feel like he should take the next step as I set every class up and went to each one with him.

If anyone here has had a significant other who wasn't motivated or you wanted to help, any ideas on things that worked to get them on board?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #2787
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post

I on the other hand want to throat punch my husband. He's needed to work out for years. He's gained weight and his blood work is getting out of hand. It wouldn't take much as he builds muscle pretty quick. I decided to help support him by trying various classes near our house. We tried 3 different places last week and Orange Theory he seemed to like the most. We did another OT class today and he didn't want to commit. We leave and he talks about how his schedule is never the same day to day. Mine isn't either but guess what, I find time & make it work. His next complaint was the cost. I don't see this going anywhere.

I'm so frustrated because no one helps and motivates me. I eat right and get up and work out because I feel better and like the way my body is toned. I'm getting snippy with him and legit want to punch him. Quit f'ing complaining. I don't love it each time I work out but I feel better over all and happy once I'm done. I guess I want this more than he does because I know from years of experiences the benefits. I don't know what else to do and feel like he should take the next step as I set every class up and went to each one with him.
You don't seem frustrated, rather angry. Unlike a fiancée your husband doesn't care too much you prefer fit men? Well, it's all right as you are married already. Just as you mentioned, the correct motivation is to do it for himself, not for you.

Arranging classes can hardly motivate. He needs to be motivated to attend. The point probably is he thinks he's good enough as he is. Help him realize he's not. Just don't beat him: the best you can achieve that way is his ambition to beat you.

Is there anything he values and getting fit would help? As a child I spent my summers by the sea but couldn't swim. Of course I took my chance to go in for swimming to learn and did my very best! Another recent example around here is if he likes a sport car he needs to be fit to fit it.

Example is also a good motivation. Don't follow him to classes to just make sure he attends. Let him join you in working out. Once I was offered a push up competition to happen soon. I started to prepare. The competition never happened but neither I stopped. Being strong gives quite some confidence, makes things so easy as you don't even have to make your point often. That's invaluable.

And the well-being, of course. A person can think he feels well because he's got used to feeling not so well. To get there's something to improve easily... A massage can help. An improvement? You can/should gain it yourself (to save the cost ) and make it permanent by working out. If he knows he doesn't feel so well it should be easy: it will only get worse unless he starts fixing it.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      01-25-2021, 11:18 PM   #2788
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Quote:
I on the other hand want to throat punch my husband.
Just don't beat him: the best you can achieve that way is his ambition to beat you.
Like this:
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      01-26-2021, 06:32 AM   #2789
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If anyone here has had a significant other who wasn't motivated or you wanted to help, any ideas on things that worked to get them on board?
I've been here before, but I feel like I needed to walk a finer line as telling a woman that she needs to workout can be found as insulting lol. I think we are just built on different wave lengths. I've worked out for years know and throughout my fiance never really understood. Early in the relationship she thought I was trying to impress other females haha. But that isn't the case, like you mentioned it is all for myself. I want to feel better, look better, etc, and not to mention I love working out. It is a great relief for me.

When trying to get those who don't work out to try, the goal is to find something they don't mind doing. If they dread doing it, then the effort will not last long. If they start with something they don't mind, then eventually they could grow to like it even more and push themselves further. Like always, diet is 70% of the battle, if he is open to working on that first then the fitness can follow.

I've been through periods with her that she really complained about her weight, or how she felt, etc - but never made any effort to change anything. I'd offer advice, but again a fine line I would be walking, that would eventually just end in her being a little pissed at me. So at that point I just stopped caring and showed some tough love. If she complained about stomach pain from poor diet decisions I would just shrug and not say anything, eventually she got the point. If you aren't going to make effort complain to someone else lol. She would also make the excuse about schedule and things of that nature. So I ended up getting her a few things so she could work out at home, eventually she ran out of excuses. I haven't really said much about her working out, just giving her space and letting her do her thing!

Hopefully he will come to an understanding eventually. Especially if there are some minor health concerns. Wishing you luck!
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      01-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #2790
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the advice!

It was a mix between anger but more frustrated especially when I wrote that post. That throat punch video has me cracking up. Disclaimer, I would never actually hit him just a figure of speech.

I think No one is right. He's used to "feeling well" even if what he's feeling isn't in good condition. He's not obese or anything like that. He has a family history of type 2 diabetes & heart issues. You would think as his numbers creep to those issues he would want to make lifestyle changes and instead he says well, it's genetic. I don't understand why someone doesn't want to make changes to try to remedy that.

As far as diet, we've been ordering prepped meals that are good in the macros area and portion control. It's the weekends where he kinda goes out of control.

I also agree that he has to find something he loves. He grew up doing karate and a few years back the guys started doing it again & he really enjoyed that work out. The problem is there aren't many options for working out with the rona around. I also think he wants to do every class with me & I can't do that. Maybe one a week but that's my retreat to get away and get in my zone. I'm going to take a step back and let him decide its what he wants. I tried to support him and be open but I don't think he's ready and I don't want to push him because it just frustrates me.

This mornings work out for me is yoga. Need some zen:
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      01-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #2791
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Orange Theory workout today so basically a full body with good cardio.

Good news, the hubs called to find out which classes were open and booked us. I didn't even have to ask him. He also signed up today which is great news. Looking forward to seeing his progress.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      01-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #2792
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

After 20+ years, my wife still doesn't understand the need/desire to exercise, and especially for ME being insulin dependent. So I struggle as best I can to just do SOMETHING, as much as possible. The walking has already stopped.

The same with food. "Honey, if it didn't move on it's own during life, we are eating carbs" I can't make it any simpler than that. We are having steak, we don't need potatoes AND rice AND tortillas. Pick one.

Honey, I need to exercise 1 hour EVERY DAY. Not once a week, not just on Saturday in the yard. So please don't schedule ME to be doing something for your family every night of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #2793
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Orange Theory workout today so basically a full body with good cardio.

Good news, the hubs called to find out which classes were open and booked us. I didn't even have to ask him. He also signed up today which is great news. Looking forward to seeing his progress.
Great news! Good that he is showing the initiative. Now for the difficult part, staying committed. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      01-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #2794
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Been dealing with a very tight upper back for almost a year now. Have to constantly roll it out every morning at the gym. Still trying to pinpoint the cause. I feel like I could further improve my posture. Hard to remain focused on keeping my shoulders back all damn day, but I've been doing my best. The tension in my upper back is definitely relieved when squeezing my shoulder blades together. I am at my desk majority of the day which is probably why they feel so tight.

Anyways, did heavy cardio yesterday and shoulders/biceps today. All in all both were solid days. It was a little more warm yesterday morning, and I felt like my workout was so much better. Excited for the temperatures to start rising, thats when I feel I can really get into a solid cut.

On a side note, does anyone else get minorly frustrated when you've seen others in the gym for well over a year now, but they are not making any progress? Not like I know or even talk to them, but I don't understand why they are wasting their time rather then committing to improvement. I mean half the battle is already being accomplished when they are at the gym, so what are they doing at home to prevent themselves from moving forward!?!? Anyways rant over lol, my frustration is for a good cause, but nothing will benefit from it. I don't have the gall to actually tell someone that to their face lol.
Appreciate 0