04-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #353
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Thanks Chris,

I do like it's position in FPGA, but Xilinx is getting too many hold ratings presently for me to go in. I had a good ride about a year ago, though, so will continue to watch it. But:
"The technical condition of XLNX is improving. Some of the indicators have turned positive suggesting that a bottom in the stock price has likely occurred. The stock is outperforming the market when compared to the S&P 500 over the last 50 trading days. "

Great info on the other stocks also!

Murf
Yeah, I don't know how their market leadership will translate into earnings or especially the stock price, I just think it's a stock I wouldn't mind holding long term.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #354
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Trying to time the market and buy at the lowest point is not the best strategy because it’s anyone's guess. Decide on which stocks you’ll want to buy, decide a price that is acceptable to you, buy when it’s around that price and leave it. Don’t keep hoping that it’ll dip even more because when it goes up you’ll pay even more for it. I've learned that the hard way so now I just set a price I’m comfortable with and don’t care if it goes down a bit after that.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8208.00
tigermack473.50
      04-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #355
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

16m people have filed for unemployment in total, current numbers from April 4th... the economy is basically shut down, people are all suppose to be home. Businesses are struggling, and you're telling me the market has been green for 3 days in a row now???????

Who the fuck is manipulating this shit? Stocks like Royal Caribbean cruise went from 22 to 42 since Monday???? HOW?

If this here alone doesn't show you how the markets are manipulated, idk what will.
Appreciate 3
tigermack473.50
Zara610.50
      04-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #356
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Trying to time the market and buy at the lowest point is not the best strategy because it’s anyone's guess. Decide on which stocks you’ll want to buy, decide a price that is acceptable to you, buy when it’s around that price and leave it. Don’t keep hoping that it’ll dip even more because when it goes up you’ll pay even more for it. I've learned that the hard way so now I just set a price I’m comfortable with and don’t care if it goes down a bit after that.
...or you can rely on actual statistical indicators to better deduce "a price that's acceptable to you" instead of arbitrarily picking numbers out of thin air.

Not really sure how this thread has made it 9+ pages with no reference of RSI, MACD, moving averages of any sort, etc. when it comes to buy/sell decisions.

"If I make a grand off this trade, I'll be happy" is a decent strategy, I guess, but putting zero thought into it past that decision is kinda pointless. Might as well just dollar cost average your auto deposits into an index and tune out all market news/data completely at that point.
Appreciate 2
premier3is1630.00
Zara610.50
      04-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #357
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
Quote:
Pretty much how I missed getting in on EAT... I was going to wait for it to hit $9.50... last week, now it's at 17... lol

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #358
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Who the fuck is manipulating this shit? Stocks like Royal Caribbean cruise went from 22 to 42 since Monday???? HOW?

If this here alone doesn't show you how the markets are manipulated, idk what will.
lol @ manipulation...the market is effected more by who's moving money in and out than it is by news that your neighbors uncle got laid off from his job at the hardware store.

Pay attention to what's actually going on behind the scenes rather than just what you can see out your window:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...arnival-w.aspx
Appreciate 3
      04-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #359
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Quote:

lol @ manipulation...the market is effected more by who's moving money in and out than it is by news that your neighbors uncle got laid off from his job at the hardware store.

Pay attention to what's actually going on behind the scenes rather than just what you can see out your window:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...arnival-w.aspx
Thanks for pointing out the obvious how money moving in and out is more significant than any person... I mean who would've guessed..

Also if you think the markets aren't manipulated in any way shape or form, idk what to tell you.

And... getting 4b for a 11.5% interest rate for carnival isn't really a good sign either. No one going on cruises for a LONG time. But sure, whatever you say man.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #360
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
...or you can rely on actual statistical indicators to better deduce "a price that's acceptable to you" instead of arbitrarily picking numbers out of thin air.

Not really sure how this thread has made it 9+ pages with no reference of RSI, MACD, moving averages of any sort, etc. when it comes to buy/sell decisions.

"If I make a grand off this trade, I'll be happy" is a decent strategy, I guess, but putting zero thought into it past that decision is kinda pointless. Might as well just dollar cost average your auto deposits into an index and tune out all market news/data completely at that point.

Because we're all just amateurs with more money than common sense.

Honestly I know how to look at price, Market Caps, RG, EPS, dividends and yields, and other economic indicators. Remember I said look...interpret to a degree...but still no expert as my degree is not in this field.

But these are special times with circumstances a lot of us haven't seen.

So for someone like myself who is far from an expert...I let my max contributions to my 401K go with dollar cost averaging, and am sticking my feet in slowly.

I look at the company I am buying...but even then it's just to make sure that it isn't something that is just going to go "belly up" and cease to exist if things get worse. And then I am not guaranteed anything.

Oh...and I also try to pay attention to Fair Value Target.
      04-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #361
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
And... getting 4b for a 11.5% interest rate for carnival isn't really a good sign either. No one going on cruises for a LONG time. But sure, whatever you say man.
You asked a specific question about a specific stock given that you were befuddled by recent jumps in price. If you can't understand why/how a stock can quickly turn positive after being beaten down 75% and having a financial powerhouse purchase over 43 million shares within the entity recently, then maybe you should stick to I bonds or something...those are easier to understand.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #362
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You asked a specific question about a specific stock given that you were befuddled by recent jumps in price. If you can't understand why/how a stock can quickly turn positive after being beaten down 75% and having a financial powerhouse purchase over 43 million shares within the entity recently, then maybe you should stick to I bonds or something...those are easier to understand.
Sure. Since raising 4b with 11.5% interest is really a great sign and now they should be worth twice a much.

And also, with an operating expense of 1b a month lol.

Look at both sides of the equation before jumping to a conclusion bud, dont push for them so hard. You sound like you have a stake enjoy your next cruise lol
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #363
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
Pretty much how I missed getting in on EAT... I was going to wait for it to hit $9.50... last week, now it's at 17... lol
My point exactly. We all want to buy at the lowest price to minimize losses and maximize gains. But honestly, an additional 50 cents or 1 dollar per share won’t make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Waiting might actually cause stocks to go up and then you end up buying them at a higher price.
Appreciate 1
tigermack473.50
      04-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #364
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not sure where I suggested to pluck a number out of thin air. What I’m saying is, for example, Royal Caribbean stock. They were $130 or so few months ago. On March 18th it hit rock bottom at $20 or so when everyone was selling. Then it went way up and then back down and hit $22.50 last Thursday/Friday. While it may not be at the $20 price, $22.50-23 was acceptable to me to buy. Won’t care if it goes back down to $20 or even lower. This is a somewhat long term strategy. Since I bought it last Friday, it’s already almost doubled. Everyone has different ways of doing things and one can look at all the data they want but fact is that the 3 stocks I bought last week have already gone up 33%-80%.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #365
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Honestly I know how to look at price, Market Caps, RG, EPS, dividends and yields, and other economic indicators. Remember I said look...interpret to a degree...but still no expert as my degree is not in this field.
Agreed. At the end of the day we're all just noobs trying to make a buck. It seems like peeps replying are keen on making fast money though and I don't understand how they plan on doing that with zero data to go off of.

I'd rather be in/out of holdings quickly with a specific upside target over hoping/praying that my "pick" ends up randomly making money a few weeks into the future though...just me.

Quote:
You sound like you have a stake
Absolutely! All these inflows of cash have created a day trading paradise within CCL. Stick around long enough and maybe someone willing to explain it a bit more slowly can let you know how that's possible
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #366
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
At least the weather folks can kindof tell you why the weather did what it did yesterday and provide a reasonable forecast for tomorrow. No one has a clue why the market is up this week and have absolutely no idea what will happen at the close today.

Hedge fund managers and day traders do well in this environment. Bogleheads ignore it all and follow their investment policy statement. Everyone else gets destroyed by FOMO or running to cash.

I'm a boglehead so all of this noise means little to me. I may rebalance this week or just keep streaming all the Star Wars movies. I'm still on track to retire in 2021.
3798j11325.00
      04-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #367
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. At the end of the day we're all just noobs trying to make a buck. It seems like peeps replying are keen on making fast money though and I don't understand how they plan on doing that with zero data to go off of.

I'd rather be in/out of holdings quickly with a specific upside target over hoping/praying that my "pick" ends up randomly making money a few weeks into the future though...just me.

Absolutely! All these inflows of cash have created a day trading paradise within CCL. Stick around long enough and maybe someone willing to explain it a bit more slowly can let you know how that's possible

I would love to make some "quick" cash....but I'm fine with holding to. I'm cheap....so the less Capitol Gains tax I have to pay...the better!
      04-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #368
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for your concerns. You should offer some courses since you are an expert in the industry

And if you really want to make money, learn to trade some options, maybe someone will help you learn if you stick around
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #369
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
Wait a bit more

I got in at $8 and sold it at $15.53. It'll come down again.
Appreciate 1
tigermack473.50
      04-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #370
ImolaMoop
Rep
Drives: Sold

QQQ or if you're ballsy, TQQQ
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #371
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
Wait a bit more

I got in at $8 and sold it at $15.53. It'll come down again.
Wasn’t aware of EAT but I am now. Added it to watch list. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #372
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Sold OFS at a 14.6% profit and MGM at a 16.2% profit. Finally getting back to even from my previous mistakes.

I had USO at a 40% margin and now it is shitting the bed lol. I am going to hold on to it and if it gets back to even buy more.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #373
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

will probably throw some money in after earnings reports are released and everything tanks again. I think after that things will be at the bottom.

Virus seems to be plateauing which is good news. But it doesn't change the fact that we will have a while to go until businesses can get up and moving and people can find jobs again. You can't loosen the restrictions until the cases per day have drastically reduced. Otherwise we will have another peak that might be worse.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8208.00
      04-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #374
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wasn’t aware of EAT but I am now. Added it to watch list. Thank you!
Also another one I'm looking at. Have a look and see what you think.

VIAC