BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #551
mecheng77
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i JBlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The huge project of ripping out every piece of metal plumbing in our house and replacing it with PEX and plastic fittings began this past weekend:

The scrap value of the copper will probably pay for the PEX and other materials twice over, and not having to trudge into the basement at 3:00 AM with a flood alarm screaming to see what pipe ruptured this time is just gravy.....
Quote:
The huge project of ripping out every piece of metal plumbing in our house and replacing it with PEX and plastic fittings began this past weekend:

[IMG]https://images.hvtraffic.com/images/...6-2fc92854.jpg[/IMG]

The scrap value of the copper will probably pay for the PEX and other materials twice over, and not having to trudge into the basement at 3:00 AM with a flood alarm screaming to see what pipe ruptured this time is just gravy.....
Copper pipe is anti microbial and will last hundreds of years, it has a proven track record especially the thicker version Type K. Who knows what pex pipes will leach into water, does any study exist? Only time will tell as it is relatively new. I had many pex crimps leak in my previous house, I love my all copper lines.
Appreciate 1
lakefront190.00

10-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #552
detroitm2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Copper pipe is anti microbial and will last hundreds of years, it has a proven track record especially the thicker version Type K. Who knows what pex pipes will leach into water, does any study exist? Only time will tell as it is relatively new. I had many pex crimps leak in my previous house, I love my all copper lines.
If installed properly, PEX is superior in almost every way to copper. (there are a few outlying situations where this isn't accurate)

https://www.phcppros.com/articles/15...re-sustainable

https://www.houseneeds.com/learning-.../pex-vs-copper
Appreciate 1
vreihen16694.50

10-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #553
hybrid_eg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 S13, '17 F85, '18 F90

i saw they have battery powered paint sprayers too i'm gonna look into getting one, ceiling looks great, def adds more roomy feeling than a flat lid.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #554
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Copper pipe is anti microbial and will last hundreds of years, it has a proven track record especially the thicker version Type K.
Every home that I ever lived in going back to when I was in diapers had copper pipes, and I have yet to sweat a bad connection. Between the potentials for theft and freeze damage as well as our water eating even certain grades of stainless steel, I have to do ditch every piece of metal in our plumbing system. I wish that it wasn't necessary, but I've spent way too many mornings using the dog's bathroom out in the yard because we had to shut the water off in the house to prevent the basement from flooding after another pipe burst.....
      10-18-2019, 12:42 AM   #555
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
i saw they have battery powered paint sprayers too i'm gonna look into getting one, ceiling looks great, def adds more roomy feeling than a flat lid.
having a cord attach to the sprayer didn't bother me at all. plus i'm wondering how much more heavier it would be with a battery and how long it will last before you need to charge it. paint would start to clog things I would think?

after I finish that bedroom i'm gonna start tearing out the all of the basement ceiling and prep it for paint
~F90Conversion~CFLowerSplitters~21"3Piece AlphaForgedWheels~BMSgoldTitaniumLugz~ 3dCFRearSpoiler~3dCFSideSkirtExtensions~DTMCFDiffu ser~CFRearSplitters~CFEmblems~LedermanzWheel~Shado wlineKit~CFDoubleSlatGrills~WstyleCFRoofSpoiler~M4 CFMirrorCovers~MeisterschaftEVC90mmQuadExhaust~CFT ipCovers~VRSFdp~KWV1Coilovers~MPedals~G2GoldCalipe rs~35%TinT~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 12:51 AM   #556
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Even back when I did a full exterior 4+2 for a grand, it was with a Wagner
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #557
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Well, I didn't do it, but got a whiz-bang new double sump installed and the crawlspace encapsulated this week. Plus a commercial grade dehumidifier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #558
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Crawlspace.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #559
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Crawlspace.
That's one thing I don't miss when I was a cable tech was crawling in freakin crawl spaces . Tours is actually nice because it has a vapor barrier and laid down
~F90Conversion~CFLowerSplitters~21"3Piece AlphaForgedWheels~BMSgoldTitaniumLugz~ 3dCFRearSpoiler~3dCFSideSkirtExtensions~DTMCFDiffu ser~CFRearSplitters~CFEmblems~LedermanzWheel~Shado wlineKit~CFDoubleSlatGrills~WstyleCFRoofSpoiler~M4 CFMirrorCovers~MeisterschaftEVC90mmQuadExhaust~CFT ipCovers~VRSFdp~KWV1Coilovers~MPedals~G2GoldCalipe rs~35%TinT~
Appreciate 2
FCobra942423.00

10-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #560
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
That's one thing I don't miss when I was a cable tech was crawling in freakin crawl spaces . Tours is actually nice because it has a vapor barrier and laid down
Yeah, plus we were getting pretty strong musty smells in the house because of the crawl. You wouldn't even need to put coveralls on to get in there now.

I hate spending that much money on something no one will ever see, we could have put hardwood floors in the entire house for the same amount, but it needed to be done. Crawlspace encapsulation, new sump pump system with batter back-up, dehumidifier and rim joist cavities spray-insulated.

Maybe now we can start spending money on fun things. Not basements and plumbing/sewer.

I don't know why it keeps turning my pictures sideways....
Appreciate 2
FCobra942423.00

10-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #561
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: JTR

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Crawlspace.
How much of a hassle was this? Were looking at homes from the 60s. A few are vacant and Ive got my worries.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #562
Our03z4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe

Quote:
Every home that I ever lived in going back to when I was in diapers had copper pipes, and I have yet to sweat a bad connection. Between the potentials for theft and freeze damage as well as our water eating even certain grades of stainless steel, I have to do ditch every piece of metal in our plumbing system. I wish that it wasn't necessary, but I've spent way too many mornings using the dog's bathroom out in the yard because we had to shut the water off in the house to prevent the basement from flooding after another pipe burst.....
Just make sure you lower your water pressure, I see a lot of issues caused by that with plastic type plumbing. Shame you had to get rid of the copper, other types of piping make my life suck each day due to low pressure.
Appreciate 1
vreihen16694.50

10-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #563
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:
Crawlspace.
How much of a hassle was this? We’re looking at homes from the 60s. A few are vacant and I’ve got my worries.
Not much hassle for me, at all. I just wrote a check.

Pricey, though. ~$8K for 800 sq/ft of crawl, I think it was?
Appreciate 2
FCobra942423.00

10-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #564
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Also planted a couple of Korean maples and spread out a bunch of cedar mulch. Will be a container garden next spring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #565
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: JTR

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Not much hassle for me, at all. I just wrote a check.

Pricey, though. ~$8K for 800 sq/ft of crawl, I think it was?
Thats what Im worried about

One that were looking at probably has about 1000 sq ft of crawl space with fantastic joists and some vapor barrier put down. Certainly not encapsulated and is something Id like to do. Little spooked on potential cost.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #566
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

So, my side gates were sagging and not latching well, so it was time to build some new ones. Since I overbuild everything and like the looks of it, I decided to fabricate the gates out of 4" x 4" square steel tubing and put 2 by redwood boards in it.

I made the brackets that hold the boards out of 3" x 1/4" flat bar, or course I had to make a jig to get the holes in the right place etc.

In addition to the 2 big gates, I put a smaller gate so we can access the side/backyard from the front yard without opening up the big gates (it will be nice in the summer with people coming and going from the pool and not having to go through the house).

For those interested, I used 'bullet' hinges, I did all my cuts with a radial arm saw with a really cool diamond blade that is made to cut steel (instead of the old carbon blades that suck), it was my first time using it, and it is great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      10-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #567
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
So, my side gates were sagging and not latching well, so it was time to build some new ones. Since I overbuild everything and like the looks of it, I decided to fabricate the gates out of 4" x 4" square steel tubing and put 2 by redwood boards in it.

I made the brackets that hold the boards out of 3" x 1/4" flat bar, or course I had to make a jig to get the holes in the right place etc.

In addition to the 2 big gates, I put a smaller gate so we can access the side/backyard from the front yard without opening up the big gates (it will be nice in the summer with people coming and going from the pool and not having to go through the house).

For those interested, I used 'bullet' hinges, I did all my cuts with a radial arm saw with a really cool diamond blade that is made to cut steel (instead of the old carbon blades that suck), it was my first time using it, and it is great.

That looks great! Well done.
      10-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #568
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
That looks great! Well done.
Thanks, I still have to cut the posts, and I have some cool lights to cap them off with.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:13 PM   #569
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's a freakin nice color stain reminds me of The Karate Kid when Danielsan was painting Miyagi's fence
Appreciate 1
FCobra942423.00

10-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #570
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:

4x4 steel tubing and 2by redwood boards - overbuilt is a massive understatement.

I wish redwood was a little more common out here in the midwest. We can get it, but it's always special order, which pretty much rules it out for small jobs due to min order sizes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #571
Savageenterprise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xdrive

Garage List
Recently completed this backyard project. The before pics were pretty much from when I first bought the house 2 years ago. After removing all the old crap, adding the PVC fence, leveling with 9 yards of dirt, planting the trees, low voltage lighting and then the paver wall, I'm pretty happy with the way I've got it looking now. So much work but it was all worth it

Final touch will be next spring... I'm going to do a paver patio with firepit in the corner that looks all dilapidated.
Attached Images

2018 340ix 6MT//BSM//Coral Red int//Alum Dark Carbon//19 in 704M double spoke Orbit Grey OEM wheels//CF side mirror caps//CF trunk lid spoiler//Dinan mid pipe res delete//BMS intake//Active Autowerke A8//Gloss Black M style grills//IND BSM Reflectors
Appreciate 8
lakefront190.00
RickFLM43894.50
FCobra942423.00
Ngilbe36429.50
Now_Rudi6224.00

10-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #572
Savageenterprise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:

They look awesome!

2018 340ix 6MT//BSM//Coral Red int//Alum Dark Carbon//19 in 704M double spoke Orbit Grey OEM wheels//CF side mirror caps//CF trunk lid spoiler//Dinan mid pipe res delete//BMS intake//Active Autowerke A8//Gloss Black M style grills//IND BSM Reflectors
Appreciate 0