BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
4415
Rep
2,394
Posts

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up Amy Guyger: GUILTY!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_fb_ma




Ever since a year ago when this story broke about female DPD Officer who entered the wrong apartment (thinking it was hers) and shot and killed an innocent and unarmed man in his own home, many including myself feared justice would not be served.
Today however, it indeed was!!!
So positive to see my hometown get this highly publicized criminal case correct.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/QAMZNzQ.jpg
Appreciate 2
      10-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Brigadier General
infinitekidM2C's Avatar
United_States
1333
Rep
4,808
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Get a rope...
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00

      10-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
NorthCountryGuy's Avatar
1176
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: M6, E70, F02
Join Date: May 2019
Location: I’m right here...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
..and a tall tree that everyone can see...
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe Sakhir Orange Metallic / Sakhir Orange \ Black Merino - The Prince
2013 X5 LCI 35i Jet Black / Black SensaTec - The Horse
2013 X5 LCI 35i Space Grey Metallic / Black Nevada // SA Pkg - Daughter’s
2013 750Li LCI xDrive Dark Graphite Metallic / Black Napa // M Sport & Exec. Pkgs - Son’s
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00

      10-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Major General
1335
Rep
6,011
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

dallas would've burned if she got off. and rightfully so.

jesus, i'd like to think i can eat ice cream in my house on my own chair w/o getting shot at.

BYE FELICIA
Appreciate 3
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00

      10-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
N54Yankee
Major
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
1561
Rep
1,217
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Shouldn’t have been convicted of murder but rather manslaughter. Would have been a more fair charge but these are racially divided times which currently seems to dictate the direction of the judicial system
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
FCobra942423.00

      10-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #6
TrevorM3
Major General
1335
Rep
6,011
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Shouldn’t have been convicted of murder but rather manslaughter. Would have been a more fair charge but these are racially divided times which currently seems to dictate the direction of the judicial system


cool story
Appreciate 3
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00
jhanksevo132.50

      10-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1565
Rep
2,396
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Shouldn’t have been convicted of murder but rather manslaughter. Would have been a more fair charge but these are racially divided times which currently seems to dictate the direction of the judicial system
I only know the narrative that the media put out but even if I’m drunk and saw a different mat in front of my door, I’d question where I was. And the homes looked completely different. I’m guessing she was jilted, she was paid to do a hit or he was a witness to something he shouldn’t have seen. I think I’d have a hard time saying anything less than murder.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00

      10-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5349
Rep
5,739
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

What a sad story.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE4414.50

      10-01-2019, 10:51 PM   #9
NormanConquest
Colonel
1453
Rep
2,199
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Unfortunate a man died because of someone stupity, I don't believe she deserves death but should serve a long sentance.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #10
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Banana Hammock's Avatar
3328
Rep
703
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Her ugly cry was perfect. Sweet justice.

__________________
Akrapovic | Alpha-N | ARC | IND | KW | Varis | Volk | Vorsteiner
@kontradictions
Appreciate 3
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00
3002 tii1150.00

      10-01-2019, 11:56 PM   #11
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7888
Rep
10,117
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Shouldn’t have been convicted of murder but rather manslaughter. Would have been a more fair charge but these are racially divided times which currently seems to dictate the direction of the judicial system
I agree on the maslaughter charge. The judge didn't let her team put up the defence she deserved. While she is no snow white, the whole incident was a sad mistake. My brother in law, a local attorney with a very good reputation, stated that neither murder nor manslaughter was appropriate, but somewhere in between. I feel for Botham Jean, but this was a tragic accident.

Not Murder. I expect this verdict to get overturned.
__________________
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
Appreciate 2
NickyC5349.00
FCobra942423.00

      10-02-2019, 12:24 AM   #12
Delta0311
Banned
7340
Rep
10,128
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

This is the end result of minimum standard diversity quota hiring. Safe to say she was hired as a PO simply because the dept. needed to fill the vagina quota. Situational awareness if stressed to death in the military and in LE. You need to be aware of your surroundings all the time, no matter how tired you are. The fact that she could walk into a neighbor’s apartment and think that it is her shows she had no business being a cop. Right off the bat there would have been signs that said "hey dumbass this is not your flat", signs such as furnishings, decor, and possible pictures hanging on wall.

Now with the above said... No she should not have been found guilty of murder. Her actions were based on pure incompetence and there was not actual intent to murder the victim. His death was due to her error of judgement and not intentional homicide. I'm 80% sure she will appeal and get the lesser charge once this shit dies down. The fact that the bat shit crazy media wants to make this a race issue is nothing new.
Appreciate 3
FCobra942423.00
tdott962.50
MKSixer15021.00

      10-02-2019, 02:11 AM   #13
schoy
Captain
619
Rep
771
Posts

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Those who posted that she shouldn’t have been found guilty of murder but instead should have gotten manslaughter have no idea the legal difference between the two. The facts clearly tick all of elements of murder. There was clear intent to kill; there was nothing reckless about the act that would have pushed this down to manslaughter.
Appreciate 6
TXSTYLE4414.50
xander_g704.00
MKSixer15021.00
obe100182.50

      10-02-2019, 03:42 AM   #14
Delta0311
Banned
7340
Rep
10,128
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Those who posted that she shouldn’t have been found guilty of murder but instead should have gotten manslaughter have no idea the legal difference between the two. The facts clearly tick all of elements of murder. There was clear intent to kill; there was nothing reckless about the act that would have pushed this down to manslaughter.
It was not murder. The woman entered the wrong apartment and shot the occupant thinking she was in her home and he was an intruder. Clearly she is a fool and had NO business being a cop but she did not intend to murder this guy. She was overcome by fear, adrenaline, and fatigue; which in turn caused her to make a horrible judgment call. The media is making it seem like she walked in there Hitman Codename 47 style and started dropping rounds, no questions asked.. It was a fucked up chain of events that cost an innocent man his life but this was not intentional .
Appreciate 4
N54Yankee1561.00
FCobra942423.00
3002 tii1150.00

      10-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #15
Dagamus_NM
Private First Class
189
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: '17 x1, '10 m3, '91 332iC
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Albuquerque NM

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
It was not murder. The woman entered the wrong apartment and shot the occupant thinking she was in her home and he was an intruder. Clearly she is a fool and had NO business being a cop but she did not intend to murder this guy. She was overcome by fear, adrenaline, and fatigue; which in turn caused her to make a horrible judgment call. The media is making it seem like she walked in there Hitman Codename 47 style and started dropping rounds, no questions asked.. It was a fucked up chain of events that cost an innocent man his life but this was not intentional .
While she did not go through the door with the intent to kill, upon confronting him her intent was to kill. She did start dropping rounds no questions asked which is why we are here.

I am surprised that she got murder. I do not feel good about it, sucks for everybody involved but given the circumstances it was the right call and Dallas should be able to work on healing from this rather than burning.

What do you all think a fair sentence would be? I am thinking 15 years. Anything longer is pointless, less than 10 will not be justice served.
Appreciate 3
      10-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #16
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5349
Rep
5,739
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
While she did not go through the door with the intent to kill, upon confronting him her intent was to kill. She did start dropping rounds no questions asked which is why we are here.

I am surprised that she got murder. I do not feel good about it, sucks for everybody involved but given the circumstances it was the right call and Dallas should be able to work on healing from this rather than burning.

What do you all think a fair sentence would be? I am thinking 15 years. Anything longer is pointless, less than 10 will not be justice served.
It's just such a lousy situation all the way around, many lives/families destroyed for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

If I were the judge, 15 sounds about right. She's going to be in hell for those 15 anyway, prison is generally not kind to former LEO. I imagine she'll have to be in protective custody and away from pop.
Appreciate 2
Delta03117339.50
scostu1092.00

      10-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7888
Rep
10,117
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
I think the conviction will get overturned. I think (whether its the right charge or not) she'll be convicted of something. But outright murder is not the right charge. That was politically motivated.
__________________
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
Appreciate 1
Delta03117339.50

      10-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
12183
Rep
3,400
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I only know the narrative that the media put out but even if I’m drunk and saw a different mat in front of my door, I’d question where I was. And the homes looked completely different. I’m guessing she was jilted, she was paid to do a hit or he was a witness to something he shouldn’t have seen. I think I’d have a hard time saying anything less than murder.
I worked with the victim at my previous employer. Nothing you said makes any sense. He was nothing more than a nice, polite, quiet CPA.

I think she absolutely needs to go to jail, and I certainly think she is guilty of manslaughter, but there was no plan to actively go over to this guys apartment and shoot him, at least I don't think so.

I think she was just an idiot and made a massive mistake and killed a very nice and innocent man.
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 3
N54Yankee1561.00
gjm1201062.00

      10-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #19
Delta0311
Banned
7340
Rep
10,128
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
While she did not go through the door with the intent to kill, upon confronting him her intent was to kill. She did start dropping rounds no questions asked which is why we are here.

I am surprised that she got murder. I do not feel good about it, sucks for everybody involved but given the circumstances it was the right call and Dallas should be able to work on healing from this rather than burning.

What do you all think a fair sentence would be? I am thinking 15 years. Anything longer is pointless, less than 10 will not be justice served.
Oh absolutely she needs to do 15. Stupididity is not an excuse.
Appreciate 0
Run Silent12183.00

      10-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
4415
Rep
2,394
Posts

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Those who posted that she shouldn’t have been found guilty of murder but instead should have gotten manslaughter have no idea the legal difference between the two. The facts clearly tick all of elements of murder. There was clear intent to kill; there was nothing reckless about the act that would have pushed this down to manslaughter.
Exactly! I won't bother wasting my breath or typing in trying to convince the uniformed otherwise.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/QAMZNzQ.jpg
Appreciate 1
MKSixer15021.00

      10-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #21
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
4415
Rep
2,394
Posts

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

Lightbulb

Quote:
“Botham was the best that we have to offer,” Benjamin Crump, a civil rights lawyer representing the family, said at a news conference after the verdict. “But it shouldn’t take all of that for unarmed black and brown people in America to get justice.”

Mr. Jean lived in an apartment in downtown Dallas, and Ms. Guyger lived directly below him on the third floor.

Ms. Guyger was returning home from a long day of work when she said she accidentally parked on the wrong floor of their complex’s garage. As she walked down the fourth-floor hallway, she said, she did not realize that anything was amiss, nor did she notice the red doormat outside Mr. Jean’s door.

The door strike plate was defective and not fully latched, according to the defense, allowing Ms. Guyger to enter using her own keys.

When Ms. Guyger noticed someone inside, she said, she drew her gun and shouted, “Let me see your hands.” She testified that Mr. Jean was walking toward her and shouting “Hey” when she fired her weapon twice, striking Mr. Jean once in the torso and killing him.

“I was scared he was going to kill me,” she told jurors.

Her testimony conflicted with prosecution witnesses, including neighbors who said they did not hear verbal commands and a medical examiner, who testified that the bullet had a downward trajectory, indicating that Mr. Jean was either getting up from a seated position or was “in a cowering position” when he was shot.

After the verdict, Ms. Guyger sat quietly at the defense table. Her mother began crying audibly.

The jury, which will decide the length of punishment, began hearing testimony in the sentencing portion of the trial Tuesday afternoon. Ms. Guyger faces between five and 99 years in prison.

Prosecutors sought to draw the jury’s attention to past social media posts by Ms. Guyger, including a post, “Kill first, die last” that she had saved to a page for “quotes and inspiration.”

The prosecution also highlighted a text they said Ms. Guyger sent while working at a parade celebrating the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. When asked when the festivities would end, she wrote: “When MLK is dead … oh wait …”
She also failed to render any kind of aid after realizing she was NOT in her own home and had shot an innocent human being. She spent several minutes explaining to 911 what happened, but did NOT bother to render any sort of aid to stop the bleeding.

This is a very good summary: https://abcnews.go.com/US/amber-guyg...ry?id=65978073

Also, the Jury were given clear details and understanding of the differences between convictions:

Quote:
The jury came to its decision after asking for clarification on the definition of manslaughter and a clearer explanation of the Castle Doctrine, a legal protection for a homeowner who uses deadly force inside their home against an intruder.

Guyger's defense team attempted to use the Castle Doctrine, which is similar to Florida's "stand your ground" law, as a defense, arguing that while she was in the wrong apartment, in her mind she believed she was in her own unit, which was a floor below Jean's. The prosecution countered that the Castle Doctrine did not apply in the case.

Before the jurors began deliberations, Judge Kemp gave them a series of instructions, including offering the panel the option of weighing whether Guyger committed murder or manslaughter when she mistakenly entered Jean's apartment and fatally shot him believing he was an intruder.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/QAMZNzQ.jpg
Appreciate 1
MKSixer15021.00

      10-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #22
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
4415
Rep
2,394
Posts

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

Lightbulb

Quote:
“Botham was the best that we have to offer,” Benjamin Crump, a civil rights lawyer representing the family, said at a news conference after the verdict. “But it shouldn’t take all of that for unarmed black and brown people in America to get justice.”

Mr. Jean lived in an apartment in downtown Dallas, and Ms. Guyger lived directly below him on the third floor.

Ms. Guyger was returning home from a long day of work when she said she accidentally parked on the wrong floor of their complex’s garage. As she walked down the fourth-floor hallway, she said, she did not realize that anything was amiss, nor did she notice the red doormat outside Mr. Jean’s door.

The door strike plate was defective and not fully latched, according to the defense, allowing Ms. Guyger to enter using her own keys.

When Ms. Guyger noticed someone inside, she said, she drew her gun and shouted, “Let me see your hands.” She testified that Mr. Jean was walking toward her and shouting “Hey” when she fired her weapon twice, striking Mr. Jean once in the torso and killing him.

“I was scared he was going to kill me,” she told jurors.

Her testimony conflicted with prosecution witnesses, including neighbors who said they did not hear verbal commands and a medical examiner, who testified that the bullet had a downward trajectory, indicating that Mr. Jean was either getting up from a seated position or was “in a cowering position” when he was shot.

After the verdict, Ms. Guyger sat quietly at the defense table. Her mother began crying audibly.

The jury, which will decide the length of punishment, began hearing testimony in the sentencing portion of the trial Tuesday afternoon. Ms. Guyger faces between five and 99 years in prison.

Prosecutors sought to draw the jury’s attention to past social media posts by Ms. Guyger, including a post, “Kill first, die last” that she had saved to a page for “quotes and inspiration.”

The prosecution also highlighted a text they said Ms. Guyger sent while working at a parade celebrating the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. When asked when the festivities would end, she wrote: “When MLK is dead … oh wait …”
She also failed to render any kind of aid after realizing she was NOT in her own home and had shot an innocent human being. She spent several minutes explaining to 911 what happened, but did NOT bother to render any sort of aid to stop the bleeding.

This is a very good summary: https://abcnews.go.com/US/amber-guyg...ry?id=65978073

Also, the Jury were given clear details and understanding of the differences between convictions:

Quote:
The jury came to its decision after asking for clarification on the definition of manslaughter and a clearer explanation of the Castle Doctrine, a legal protection for a homeowner who uses deadly force inside their home against an intruder.

Guyger's defense team attempted to use the Castle Doctrine, which is similar to Florida's "stand your ground" law, as a defense, arguing that while she was in the wrong apartment, in her mind she believed she was in her own unit, which was a floor below Jean's. The prosecution countered that the Castle Doctrine did not apply in the case.

Before the jurors began deliberations, Judge Kemp gave them a series of instructions, including offering the panel the option of weighing whether Guyger committed murder or manslaughter when she mistakenly entered Jean's apartment and fatally shot him believing he was an intruder.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/QAMZNzQ.jpg
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST