BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

10-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up Amy Guyger: GUILTY!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

Ever since a year ago when this story broke about female DPD Officer who entered the wrong apartment (thinking it was hers) and shot and killed an innocent and unarmed man in his own home, many including myself feared justice would not be served.
Today however, it indeed was!!!
So positive to see my hometown get this highly publicized criminal case correct.
      10-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Get a rope...
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00

10-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, F02

Garage List
..and a tall tree that everyone can see...
2013 750Li LCI xDrive Dark Graphite Metallic / Black Napa // M Sport & Exec. Pkgs - Son’s
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00

10-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

dallas would've burned if she got off. and rightfully so.

jesus, i'd like to think i can eat ice cream in my house on my own chair w/o getting shot at.

BYE FELICIA
Appreciate 3
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00

10-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Shouldn’t have been convicted of murder but rather manslaughter. Would have been a more fair charge but these are racially divided times which currently seems to dictate the direction of the judicial system
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
FCobra942423.00

10-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #6
TrevorM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Shouldn’t have been convicted of murder but rather manslaughter. Would have been a more fair charge but these are racially divided times which currently seems to dictate the direction of the judicial system

cool story
Appreciate 3
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00
jhanksevo132.50

10-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I only know the narrative that the media put out but even if I’m drunk and saw a different mat in front of my door, I’d question where I was. And the homes looked completely different. I’m guessing she was jilted, she was paid to do a hit or he was a witness to something he shouldn’t have seen. I think I’d have a hard time saying anything less than murder.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00

10-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

What a sad story.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE4414.50

10-01-2019, 10:51 PM   #9
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Unfortunate a man died because of someone stupity, I don't believe she deserves death but should serve a long sentance.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #10
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Her ugly cry was perfect. Sweet justice.

TXSTYLE4414.50
MKSixer15021.00
3002 tii1150.00

10-01-2019, 11:56 PM   #11
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
I agree on the maslaughter charge. The judge didn't let her team put up the defence she deserved. While she is no snow white, the whole incident was a sad mistake. My brother in law, a local attorney with a very good reputation, stated that neither murder nor manslaughter was appropriate, but somewhere in between. I feel for Botham Jean, but this was a tragic accident.

Not Murder. I expect this verdict to get overturned.
FCobra942423.00

10-02-2019, 12:24 AM   #12
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

This is the end result of minimum standard diversity quota hiring. Safe to say she was hired as a PO simply because the dept. needed to fill the vagina quota. Situational awareness if stressed to death in the military and in LE. You need to be aware of your surroundings all the time, no matter how tired you are. The fact that she could walk into a neighbor’s apartment and think that it is her shows she had no business being a cop. Right off the bat there would have been signs that said "hey dumbass this is not your flat", signs such as furnishings, decor, and possible pictures hanging on wall.

Now with the above said... No she should not have been found guilty of murder. Her actions were based on pure incompetence and there was not actual intent to murder the victim. His death was due to her error of judgement and not intentional homicide. I'm 80% sure she will appeal and get the lesser charge once this shit dies down. The fact that the bat shit crazy media wants to make this a race issue is nothing new.
Appreciate 3
FCobra942423.00
tdott962.50
MKSixer15021.00

10-02-2019, 02:11 AM   #13
schoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Those who posted that she shouldn’t have been found guilty of murder but instead should have gotten manslaughter have no idea the legal difference between the two. The facts clearly tick all of elements of murder. There was clear intent to kill; there was nothing reckless about the act that would have pushed this down to manslaughter.
Appreciate 6
TXSTYLE4414.50
xander_g704.00
MKSixer15021.00
obe100182.50

10-02-2019, 03:42 AM   #14
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Those who posted that she shouldn’t have been found guilty of murder but instead should have gotten manslaughter have no idea the legal difference between the two. The facts clearly tick all of elements of murder. There was clear intent to kill; there was nothing reckless about the act that would have pushed this down to manslaughter.
It was not murder. The woman entered the wrong apartment and shot the occupant thinking she was in her home and he was an intruder. Clearly she is a fool and had NO business being a cop but she did not intend to murder this guy. She was overcome by fear, adrenaline, and fatigue; which in turn caused her to make a horrible judgment call. The media is making it seem like she walked in there Hitman Codename 47 style and started dropping rounds, no questions asked.. It was a fucked up chain of events that cost an innocent man his life but this was not intentional .
Appreciate 4
N54Yankee1561.00
FCobra942423.00
3002 tii1150.00

10-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #15
Dagamus_NM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 x1, '10 m3, '91 332iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
It was not murder. The woman entered the wrong apartment and shot the occupant thinking she was in her home and he was an intruder. Clearly she is a fool and had NO business being a cop but she did not intend to murder this guy. She was overcome by fear, adrenaline, and fatigue; which in turn caused her to make a horrible judgment call. The media is making it seem like she walked in there Hitman Codename 47 style and started dropping rounds, no questions asked.. It was a fucked up chain of events that cost an innocent man his life but this was not intentional .
While she did not go through the door with the intent to kill, upon confronting him her intent was to kill. She did start dropping rounds no questions asked which is why we are here.

I am surprised that she got murder. I do not feel good about it, sucks for everybody involved but given the circumstances it was the right call and Dallas should be able to work on healing from this rather than burning.

What do you all think a fair sentence would be? I am thinking 15 years. Anything longer is pointless, less than 10 will not be justice served.
Appreciate 3
      10-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #16
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
While she did not go through the door with the intent to kill, upon confronting him her intent was to kill. She did start dropping rounds no questions asked which is why we are here.

I am surprised that she got murder. I do not feel good about it, sucks for everybody involved but given the circumstances it was the right call and Dallas should be able to work on healing from this rather than burning.

What do you all think a fair sentence would be? I am thinking 15 years. Anything longer is pointless, less than 10 will not be justice served.
It's just such a lousy situation all the way around, many lives/families destroyed for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

If I were the judge, 15 sounds about right. She's going to be in hell for those 15 anyway, prison is generally not kind to former LEO. I imagine she'll have to be in protective custody and away from pop.
Appreciate 2
Delta03117339.50
scostu1092.00

10-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
I think the conviction will get overturned. I think (whether its the right charge or not) she'll be convicted of something. But outright murder is not the right charge. That was politically motivated.

10-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I only know the narrative that the media put out but even if I’m drunk and saw a different mat in front of my door, I’d question where I was. And the homes looked completely different. I’m guessing she was jilted, she was paid to do a hit or he was a witness to something he shouldn’t have seen. I think I’d have a hard time saying anything less than murder.
I worked with the victim at my previous employer. Nothing you said makes any sense. He was nothing more than a nice, polite, quiet CPA.

I think she absolutely needs to go to jail, and I certainly think she is guilty of manslaughter, but there was no plan to actively go over to this guys apartment and shoot him, at least I don't think so.

I think she was just an idiot and made a massive mistake and killed a very nice and innocent man.
gjm1201062.00

10-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #19
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post

Oh absolutely she needs to do 15. Stupididity is not an excuse.
Appreciate 0
Run Silent12183.00

10-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Exactly! I won't bother wasting my breath or typing in trying to convince the uniformed otherwise.

10-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #21
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
“Botham was the best that we have to offer,” Benjamin Crump, a civil rights lawyer representing the family, said at a news conference after the verdict. “But it shouldn’t take all of that for unarmed black and brown people in America to get justice.”

Mr. Jean lived in an apartment in downtown Dallas, and Ms. Guyger lived directly below him on the third floor.

Ms. Guyger was returning home from a long day of work when she said she accidentally parked on the wrong floor of their complex’s garage. As she walked down the fourth-floor hallway, she said, she did not realize that anything was amiss, nor did she notice the red doormat outside Mr. Jean’s door.

The door strike plate was defective and not fully latched, according to the defense, allowing Ms. Guyger to enter using her own keys.

When Ms. Guyger noticed someone inside, she said, she drew her gun and shouted, “Let me see your hands.” She testified that Mr. Jean was walking toward her and shouting “Hey” when she fired her weapon twice, striking Mr. Jean once in the torso and killing him.

“I was scared he was going to kill me,” she told jurors.

Her testimony conflicted with prosecution witnesses, including neighbors who said they did not hear verbal commands and a medical examiner, who testified that the bullet had a downward trajectory, indicating that Mr. Jean was either getting up from a seated position or was “in a cowering position” when he was shot.

After the verdict, Ms. Guyger sat quietly at the defense table. Her mother began crying audibly.

The jury, which will decide the length of punishment, began hearing testimony in the sentencing portion of the trial Tuesday afternoon. Ms. Guyger faces between five and 99 years in prison.

Prosecutors sought to draw the jury’s attention to past social media posts by Ms. Guyger, including a post, “Kill first, die last” that she had saved to a page for “quotes and inspiration.”

The prosecution also highlighted a text they said Ms. Guyger sent while working at a parade celebrating the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. When asked when the festivities would end, she wrote: “When MLK is dead … oh wait …”
She also failed to render any kind of aid after realizing she was NOT in her own home and had shot an innocent human being. She spent several minutes explaining to 911 what happened, but did NOT bother to render any sort of aid to stop the bleeding.

This is a very good summary: https://abcnews.go.com/US/amber-guyg...ry?id=65978073

Also, the Jury were given clear details and understanding of the differences between convictions:

Quote:
The jury came to its decision after asking for clarification on the definition of manslaughter and a clearer explanation of the Castle Doctrine, a legal protection for a homeowner who uses deadly force inside their home against an intruder.

Guyger's defense team attempted to use the Castle Doctrine, which is similar to Florida's "stand your ground" law, as a defense, arguing that while she was in the wrong apartment, in her mind she believed she was in her own unit, which was a floor below Jean's. The prosecution countered that the Castle Doctrine did not apply in the case.

Before the jurors began deliberations, Judge Kemp gave them a series of instructions, including offering the panel the option of weighing whether Guyger committed murder or manslaughter when she mistakenly entered Jean's apartment and fatally shot him believing he was an intruder.

10-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #22
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
“Botham was the best that we have to offer,” Benjamin Crump, a civil rights lawyer representing the family, said at a news conference after the verdict. “But it shouldn’t take all of that for unarmed black and brown people in America to get justice.”

Mr. Jean lived in an apartment in downtown Dallas, and Ms. Guyger lived directly below him on the third floor.

Ms. Guyger was returning home from a long day of work when she said she accidentally parked on the wrong floor of their complex’s garage. As she walked down the fourth-floor hallway, she said, she did not realize that anything was amiss, nor did she notice the red doormat outside Mr. Jean’s door.

The door strike plate was defective and not fully latched, according to the defense, allowing Ms. Guyger to enter using her own keys.

When Ms. Guyger noticed someone inside, she said, she drew her gun and shouted, “Let me see your hands.” She testified that Mr. Jean was walking toward her and shouting “Hey” when she fired her weapon twice, striking Mr. Jean once in the torso and killing him.

“I was scared he was going to kill me,” she told jurors.

Her testimony conflicted with prosecution witnesses, including neighbors who said they did not hear verbal commands and a medical examiner, who testified that the bullet had a downward trajectory, indicating that Mr. Jean was either getting up from a seated position or was “in a cowering position” when he was shot.

After the verdict, Ms. Guyger sat quietly at the defense table. Her mother began crying audibly.

The jury, which will decide the length of punishment, began hearing testimony in the sentencing portion of the trial Tuesday afternoon. Ms. Guyger faces between five and 99 years in prison.

Prosecutors sought to draw the jury’s attention to past social media posts by Ms. Guyger, including a post, “Kill first, die last” that she had saved to a page for “quotes and inspiration.”

The prosecution also highlighted a text they said Ms. Guyger sent while working at a parade celebrating the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. When asked when the festivities would end, she wrote: “When MLK is dead … oh wait …”
She also failed to render any kind of aid after realizing she was NOT in her own home and had shot an innocent human being. She spent several minutes explaining to 911 what happened, but did NOT bother to render any sort of aid to stop the bleeding.

This is a very good summary: https://abcnews.go.com/US/amber-guyg...ry?id=65978073

Also, the Jury were given clear details and understanding of the differences between convictions:

Quote:
The jury came to its decision after asking for clarification on the definition of manslaughter and a clearer explanation of the Castle Doctrine, a legal protection for a homeowner who uses deadly force inside their home against an intruder.

Guyger's defense team attempted to use the Castle Doctrine, which is similar to Florida's "stand your ground" law, as a defense, arguing that while she was in the wrong apartment, in her mind she believed she was in her own unit, which was a floor below Jean's. The prosecution countered that the Castle Doctrine did not apply in the case.

Before the jurors began deliberations, Judge Kemp gave them a series of instructions, including offering the panel the option of weighing whether Guyger committed murder or manslaughter when she mistakenly entered Jean's apartment and fatally shot him believing he was an intruder.