Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-13-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
cubansagar
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Door Doesn't latch

Anyone else having issues where when you close the door it doesn't latch and you have to click it a few times to get the mechanism to actuate before closing the door again. Do I need a new latch mechanism?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #2
North_tracy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW I8

Check the emergency latch on the door is not getting pulled or anything not obstructing
      08-16-2022, 10:59 PM   #3
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

Yes had that.

It’s caused by a week actuator motor within the lock. There’s lots of videos on ytube about replacing them on other BMWs although none specific on i8s. I went to the trouble of buying a replacement motor for £5 and was about to replace but it fixed itself after being temperamental for 8 months.

You may get away with re lubing the lock. Never priced the Stealer assembly but I suspect it’s £600 just for the part.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
cubansagar
Rep

Where did you get the motor?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 04:46 AM   #5
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Just off ebay.

I went for the Johnson FC-280SC door lock actuator. motor The motors an exact match but the shaft is shorter but OK. The problem is you have to swap the brass worm gear thats on the original (using heat). A better/easier method would be to purchase a complete used door lock and just swap the motor on yours (there may be issues with the electronics requiring linking if you swapped the complete assembly? - dont know?) I assume the motors the same on both left/right units although the assembly isnt.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 03:24 PM   #6
cubansagar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain123 View Post
Just off ebay.

I went for the Johnson FC-280SC door lock actuator. motor The motors an exact match but the shaft is shorter but OK. The problem is you have to swap the brass worm gear thats on the original (using heat). A better/easier method would be to purchase a complete used door lock and just swap the motor on yours (there may be issues with the electronics requiring linking if you swapped the complete assembly? - dont know?) I assume the motors the same on both left/right units although the assembly isnt.

do you have to take off the whole carbon door piece or just the trim?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 03:40 PM   #7
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Don’t know…..didn’t ever complete the work. Might have a go as I have a nasty rattling coming from inside the door especially with the window lowered.

There is a video on uTube for door card removal.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 10:24 PM   #8
Smarty McFly
Rep

My car has been in the shop for 3 months while the dealer tried to figure this out. They ended up replacing the door latch, and claim it is fixed now. They had to replace a seal that goes around the door jamb, and should be done next week.
Do you get a blinking error light on the door lock indicator?
Appreciate 0