Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #178
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
I wouldnt doubt it, from what I read, the LTE baseband chip apple wants to use wont be out till early next year, as current chips are too power hungry, maybe thats why no 5?
The problem with that is not only the power consumption with the currently available chips, but also the fact that Apple doesn't want to make a product with a removable battery. I have no problem with power hungry phones as long as they're not insanely thirsty and they ARE KIND ENOUGH TO NOT ASSUME I'M TOO MUCH OF AN IDIOT TO CHANGE MY OWN BATTERY WITHOUT FUCKING IT UP (just kidding, was taking mandatory pot-shot at Apple). Although sometimes minutely inconvenient, it's not hard at all to carry an extra battery and swap it on the fly. This is why the other manufacturers can go ahead and sell phones with LTE and the gigantic screens and killer hardware. I don't think Apple can do that until both LTE chipsets and batteries (to a lesser extent of course) become more efficient.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #179
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Why is everyone surprised? Apple only tends to introduce revolutionary designs at the intro of a new product line. The fans are ALWAYS disappointed after merely updated products are introduced because their expectations are as high as when something revolutionary comes out. Every time.

I wouldn't mind a bigger screen. A replaceable battery would be nice, too. They should take advantage of that flat back and offer an enormous add-on battery for heavy power users.

An sd slot would be great, too, but I'm not holding my breath.

What was with all those pics of the wide home button?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #180
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Why is everyone surprised? Apple only tends to introduce revolutionary designs at the intro of a new product line. The fans are ALWAYS disappointed after merely updated products are introduced because their expectations are as high as when something revolutionary comes out. Every time.
The difference when I went from a 3G to a 3GS might as well have been a generational leap. And that was a 12 month period between releases, this one is more like 16 months IIRC and I would be incredibly surprised if 4->4S is anything near 3G->3GS.

Between the 3G and 3GS, they went up something like 46% in clock speed, RAM doubled, HSDPA support was introduced, a compass was introduced, along with the stuff that we're seeing with the 4->4S (improved camera and no loss of battery life, storage space increase, OS and feature upgrades).

I don't know how well the second core use is optimized in iOS operation, so it's possible the second core could put up improvements equivalent to a 46% increase in clock speed, but I don't know for sure. I doubt it at first, but we'll see. Doubling of RAM was HUGE, too. HSDPA was a very welcome and nice addition. The jump from 3G to 3GS was more of a jump IMO than this current jump, and they did it in less time. Going from the 3G to the 3GS, you knew it was a completely different animal. I can't say the 4->4S leap will fall way short of that for sure until I take a gander at one, but I think I can say I understand why people would be a little bit antsy.

EDIT: Didn't read carefully enough, 4S is getting 1GB RAM (for some reason I'd initially thought 768MB), so that's doubling. Maybe it will be as good as the jump from 3G to 3GS. However, I still maintain one of the biggest improvements from 3G->3GS was HSDPA.

Last edited by ragingclue; 10-05-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #181
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post

I wouldn't mind a bigger screen. A replaceable battery would be nice, too. They should take advantage of that flat back and offer an enormous add-on battery for heavy power users.

An sd slot would be great, too, but I'm not holding my breath.

What was with all those pics of the wide home button?
My buddy, a pilot, uses one of these things for longer battery life.

http://www.amazon.com/EXOGEAR-Exolif.../dp/B003WJR1H6

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #182
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
Go hump your BMW and windows 7 pc!

done and done.
      10-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #183
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Hsdpa+ = Attachment 588624

speeds are nowhere even close to true 4G.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #184
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post

Compare specs with iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy 2..

I bet even though Apple made a fail phone.. people will still end up purchasing it. Their excuses now is.. "OMFG 64GB I NEED THAT".. Bunch of sheeps..
Specs are really secondary to software but I really did want that 4" screen.
Appreciate 0