BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #67
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Do you live in a area with LTE? There is only 3 cities with LTE atm..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #68
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i live in dallas, so yes.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #69
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i live in dallas, so yes.
Lucky you..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #70
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I wouldn't suggest SGSII. I don't know what took so frickin long to release it here in the States, but that's definitely nowhere near a new phone. The Prime will be much better, if for no other reason than ICS and updates on the fast track. It's also supposed to "feel" more like an HTC than a Samsung, meaning more metal and a sturdier feel.

Don't get me wrong, the SGSII is a great phone, but the wait for the Prime should only be until some time in November, and its rumored specs pretty much dominate the SGSII. Plus, the worst thing about Samsung phones is that the manufacturer is Samsung, but the Nexus moniker bypasses most of the shit that makes them so intolerable.
SG2 is one of the fastest phones out now and is a top choice in reviews. I can't wait any longer, others might want to wait.
      10-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #71
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
Lucky you..
not only that, but at&t's LTE speeds are smoking vzw. i've had a vzw mifi for a good while now and the speeds are awesome, but at&t is currently about double the speeds i get on vzw.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #72
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
$400..
I should be able to get $300+ for my current iPhone 4, it's unlocked after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
I would get the 4S too if I didnt think the iphone 5 will be coming within next 6 months...do I have evidence this will happen ?...no, just vibes.
I'll get the 4S, and then I'll get the 5 in 6 months or 12 months, whenever it comes out

We have 5 lines on our account, and I'm the only one who cares to upgrade anything
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #73
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
not only that, but at&t's LTE speeds are smoking vzw. i've had a vzw mifi for a good while now and the speeds are awesome, but at&t is currently about double the speeds i get on vzw.
Yeah but only because there are so few LTE devices for AT&T. In their rush to release LTE-capable devices, I bet they overload their LTE bandwidth to the point where you might as well be back on HSPA+ or even HSPA.

My Jetstream flies on the network, but I'm pretty sure that's because I'm probably one of only a few using the tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
SG2 is one of the fastest phones out now and is a top choice in reviews. I can't wait any longer, others might want to wait.
Do it then. If you can't wait, the SGSII is not exactly a losing proposition. It's an incredible phone, and I was thinking about getting it until I heard the Prime is just around the corner (announcement supposedly in a week and release in a month or so).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #74
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but only because there are so few LTE devices for AT&T. In their rush to release LTE-capable devices, I bet they overload their LTE bandwidth to the point where you might as well be back on HSPA+ or even HSPA.

My Jetstream flies on the network, but I'm pretty sure that's because I'm probably one of only a few using the tower.
i don't think at&t is in any rush to push LTE devices yet. they're taking their time and doing it right IMO. they're well aware the dismay the 3G overload caused. LTE iphone will be a whole different animal though.

i've yet to play with a jetstream, but i'm curious about it. i just don't think i could personally justify buying any tablet but the ipad at this point. i use my mifi with my ipad. runs like hell.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #75
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
well... don't they need to unload a few million units to sprint now?
I guess sprint is toast.

I don't see iphone on their website yet?
      10-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #76
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
I don't see iphone on their website yet?
10/7 pre-order date
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #77
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

you guys think the factory unlocked iphone 4 at $550 will drop anytime soon now the 4s is out?
      10-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #78
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
LTE is the base for LTE-A, a true 4G protocol.
HSPA+ is not the base for a 4G protocol, however in theory it should be as fast as base LTE. I haven't seen that personally. AT&T is rolling out LTE, and has already in five cities, but I'm thinking the T-Mobile deal falling through is going to be a huge hindrance, as they needed the freqs that T-Mobile owns. Right now, Verizon is way ahead in the freqs they've secured, so unless some moves are made, AT&T won't have near the LTE coverage Verizon does. However, AT&T's fallback protocol is much better than Verizon's, meaning if you're not in an area where you can get either carrier on LTE, you'll be better off falling back to HSPA+ than you would on CDMA.

Basically, LTE and HSPA+ both as they exist right now are not anywhere near 4G speeds, and most practical tests (read: not theoretical capabilities, but real application) I've seen have shown LTE to be far faster. I believe they were able to label LTE as "4G" because of the fact that it was the underlying technology to eventually give us real 4G, in LTE-A. HSPA+ is not even the underlying tech for anything 4G, so I don't know what the fuck the deal was there, but I'm sure it was some "me too" thing AT&T did, threw a lot of money and lawyers at it, and eventually the governing body gave in (forgot their acronym). That's my theory anyway.
Quote:
Do you live in a area with LTE? There is only 3 cities with LTE atm..
Quote:

Do it then. If you can't wait, the SGSII is not exactly a losing proposition. It's an incredible phone, and I was thinking about getting it until I heard the Prime is just around the corner (announcement supposedly in a week and release in a month or so).
Sounds like a thorough scam to me. The network providers priority should be upgrading their reception and network reach left and right to open way to these devices. It truly sounds to me like there is 10x more spent on marketing than actual investment in the firm. Finland has networks that would dump on ours and their data service is much cheaper... it probably has to do with the population but the way our companies market themselves and the services they provide is disgusting.
      10-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #79
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
i've yet to play with a jetstream, but i'm curious about it. i just don't think i could personally justify buying any tablet but the ipad at this point. i use my mifi with my ipad. runs like hell.
Too expensive. Curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to get a feel for AT&T's LTE. Great hardware, incredible build quality and materials, Honeycomb, etc.... But in a world where tablet prices are trending down sharply, it's awkwardly out of place.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #80
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

Atrix still ownz =)

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #81
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
So did Apple buy sprint? I'm gathering there will not be a VZW iPhone 5? at least anytime soon.

EDIT: white 16gb IP4 for sale - $300. srsly.
Word is in order for Sprint to get the iphone, they would have to buy 30million iphones from Apple for the next 4 years.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2244...-4s-launch.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #82
jaco
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

I actually like the current phones size. I think they should have made the screen a little longer, but no way wider.

I don't want a laptop or mini notebook in my pocket.

2015 Chevy SS In
2011 E90 M3 DCT SSII Out
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #83
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
I actually like the current phones size. I think they should have made the screen a little longer, but no way wider.
I think they would want to maintain the aspect ratio, and if they make it longer, they'd want to make it wider, or else you'd have a ton of space on the screen that wasn't often used (think letterbox on old TVs).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #84
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest SGSII. I don't know what took so frickin long to release it here in the States, but that's definitely nowhere near a new phone. The Prime will be much better, if for no other reason than ICS and updates on the fast track. It's also supposed to "feel" more like an HTC than a Samsung, meaning more metal and a sturdier feel.

Don't get me wrong, the SGSII is a great phone, but the wait for the Prime should only be until some time in November, and its rumored specs pretty much dominate the SGSII. Plus, the worst thing about Samsung phones is that the manufacturer is Samsung, but the Nexus moniker bypasses most of the shit that makes them so intolerable.
Cool, I'm going to keep a lookout for Prime.

Quote:
LTE is the base for LTE-A, a true 4G protocol.
HSPA+ is not the base for a 4G protocol, however in theory it should be as fast as base LTE. I haven't seen that personally. AT&T is rolling out LTE, and has already in five cities, but I'm thinking the T-Mobile deal falling through is going to be a huge hindrance, as they needed the freqs that T-Mobile owns. Right now, Verizon is way ahead in the freqs they've secured, so unless some moves are made, AT&T won't have near the LTE coverage Verizon does. However, AT&T's fallback protocol is much better than Verizon's, meaning if you're not in an area where you can get either carrier on LTE, you'll be better off falling back to HSPA+ than you would on CDMA.

Basically, LTE and HSPA+ both as they exist right now are not anywhere near 4G speeds, and most practical tests (read: not theoretical capabilities, but real application) I've seen have shown LTE to be far faster. I believe they were able to label LTE as "4G" because of the fact that it was the underlying technology to eventually give us real 4G, in LTE-A. HSPA+ is not even the underlying tech for anything 4G, so I don't know what the fuck the deal was there, but I'm sure it was some "me too" thing AT&T did, threw a lot of money and lawyers at it, and eventually the governing body gave in (forgot their acronym). That's my theory anyway.
Interesting to know. I don't follow that closely with the news so didn't even know T-mobile deal fell through lol. Actually didn't even realize AT&T wanted T Mobile for their freq rights. Your take on how AT&T falsely advertised 4G sounds pretty realistic and believable.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #85
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
Cool, I'm going to keep a lookout for Prime.
To be fair, I should clarify my statement of the SGSII being "nowhere near a new phone". As far as specs go, it's at or near the top in a lot of categories, but it's frustrating when phones like this are found overseas for as long as this one was, and then is hawked here as the latest and greatest.

That being said, at least it will have a head start on bugfixes. I don't think that will be the case with the Prime, as it seems to have had its release date moved up to battle the iP4S, so I almost expect issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #86
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Compare specs with iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy 2..

I bet even though Apple made a fail phone.. people will still end up purchasing it. Their excuses now is.. "OMFG 64GB I NEED THAT".. Bunch of sheeps..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #87
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:

Compare specs with iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy 2..

I bet even though Apple made a fail phone.. people will still end up purchasing it. Their excuses now is.. "OMFG 64GB I NEED THAT".. Bunch of sheeps..
Gotta love people who buy products based on spec matrixes.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #88
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Name:  Screen shot 2011-10-04 at 4.18.38 PM.png
Views: 676
Size:  478.6 KB

Appreciate 0