Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
i was thinking about that actually but it seemed selfish to me......
Good call.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:01 AM   #90
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e90 View Post
A ring is a better investment than a car anyways
when you get rid of your car it doesn't take half of your house, and savings
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:18 AM   #91
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Do you feel a little more important now? Do you feel special or somehow better yet?
Do you?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:20 AM   #92
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post
Wait, you're seriously considering buying a $12,000 ring for a girl?

You must be young.

Let me just tell you this, just because a girl has "her heart set on it" does not mean she should ever expect (key word - EXPECT) it.

I have my heart set on a Porsche 911 GT2, that doesn't mean I expect to get it.

Bottom line:

I would be a lot more concerned about the kind of expectations your future wife has a whole lot less concerned about a car.
Yea. To spend 50k on a car after the marriage requires consent from the other party as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #93
e90wraith
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Jet Blk

I think you are getting off pretty easy with a $12K ring... Don't even ask how much I paid for my wife's diamond ring. It was a special case since her family was in the jewelry business. She couldn't be seen with a cheap diamond ring when they sell high-end jewelry. Of course, I got an excellent deal but it was major...

She gets compliments about her ring all the time from strangers, and they make her really happy. So I would say it was worth the pain. I also feel the ring was worth it because diamonds are pretty good investments. In fact, the ring has appreciated as much as the stock market over the last few years. If we had to sell her diamond ring today, we would get at least 50% more than what we paid for just a few years ago. Diamond prices don't depreciate thanks to the cartels. Diamonds are also liquid investments. They are easily converted into currency if we ever need to.

My e90 has already depreciated +30%. A car is not an investment...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:44 AM   #94
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
word!!! diamonds is one of the better investment. if you had to resell it, you can pretty much get 90% of what you paid for. try that on a bimmer...or any car for that matter.
Losing 10% of your money is a CRAPPY investment!!!! That is assuming you could even recoup that much of the original cost of the ring. Where would you even be able to sell such a thing?

I have to questions for the OP:

1.) How old are you?
2.) How long have you been seriously dating your girlfriend?

The reason I ask is I feel that too many people make the following mistakes in marriage: They get married too young, and too soon after meeting someone. I think that has given rise to the high divorce rate in the US, as well as the notion that creeps up of the "starter marriage." I seriously think that anyone under the age of 26 shouldn't even consider marriage, and I think at least 2 years of serious dating is necessary. I'd even go so far as to say that living together for one year is also advisable.

The implications of a potential divorce are huge, both financially and emotionally. It isn't something to be taken lightly, especially for a man.

I got married at the age of 25, after dating for 6 years. We've now been married for 10 years. I see nothing changing that in the near or distant future. Sure, we have our disagreements, but who doesn't.

Now with regards to the ring, $12,000 may or may not be ridiculous, it will depend on the following in my book:
1.) Do you own a home? If not, then $12k on a ring is a huge waste.
2.) Are you fully funding a 401k ($15,000/yr)? If not, then $12k on a ring is a waste.
3.) Are you fully funding a Roth IRA? Can you guess my response if the answer is no?
4.) Will you be paying that $12k in cash, or financing? If you have to finance the whole purchase, that is a bad choice.

Now, if you have a home, are fully funding your 401k and Roth IRAs, and can make a sizable downpayment on the ring, then $12k may be OK for you. Frankly, it would never be OK for me. And I know that my wife would never go for that either. That is the benefit of a long dating period, to make sure we really do think along the same lines in many ways. Heck, we just paid $12k for a deck. Some would say that is ridiculous (it is!), but we felt it was worth the money.

Good luck! I wish you and your future fiance the best.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 01:06 AM   #95
reds2
9000 RPM Redline
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red S2000

If the rock is too big someone might want to hack off her finger for it. That was my wife's fear of getting a huge rock.

My wife doesn't wear jewelry so I got off lucky. My aunt also gave us a very good deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 01:09 AM   #96
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

My wife wanted a mountain bike instead of an engagement ring.

Her wedding ring was $70 and mine was $210 at Zales.

We only got 14k gold to be more durable with all the activities, and for when the ER doc needs to cut it off because we've broken a finger/hand/wrist/etc. and it's swelling.

=)
      06-21-2007, 01:16 AM   #97
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Practical View Post
It's all relatrive ofcourse (price)...but If you are driving around a $50k car...and your fiance is wearing a 2-3k ring...I'm sorry but you are not doing your image any favors.
I think you should change your board name.
      06-21-2007, 01:38 AM   #98
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Losing 10% of your money is a CRAPPY investment!!!! That is assuming you could even recoup that much of the original cost of the ring. Where would you even be able to sell such a thing?

1.) How old are you?

The reason I ask is I feel that too many people make the following mistakes in marriage: They get married too young, and too soon after meeting someone. I think that has given rise to the high divorce rate in the US, as well as the notion that creeps up of the "starter marriage." I seriously think that anyone under the age of 26 shouldn't even consider marriage, and I think at least 2 years of serious dating is necessary. I'd even go so far as to say that living together for one year is also advisable.

The implications of a potential divorce are huge, both financially and emotionally. It isn't something to be taken lightly, especially for a man.

I got married at the age of 25, after dating for 6 years. We've now been married for 10 years. I see nothing changing that in the near or distant future. Sure, we have our disagreements, but who doesn't.

Now with regards to the ring, $12,000 may or may not be ridiculous, it will depend on the following in my book:
2.) Are you fully funding a 401k ($15,000/yr)? If not, then $12k on a ring is a waste.
3.) Are you fully funding a Roth IRA? Can you guess my response if the answer is no?
4.) Will you be paying that $12k in cash, or financing? If you have to finance the whole purchase, that is a bad choice.

Now, if you have a home, are fully funding your 401k and Roth IRAs, and can make a sizable downpayment on the ring, then $12k may be OK for you. Frankly, it would never be OK for me. And I know that my wife would never go for that either. That is the benefit of a long dating period, to make sure we really do think along the same lines in many ways. Heck, we just paid $12k for a deck. Some would say that is ridiculous (it is!), but we felt it was worth the money.

i was comparing buying a 12K ring over a 50K car. as investment...da ring is better. dats all i'm saying. of course there's other better investment. if u can afford a 12K ring do it. but don't use ur savings or downpayment on a house. dats just absurd.
      06-21-2007, 02:03 AM   #99
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Let him get married his way. Plus he has an e90 already, what is the need for him to get an e92 335 already? That can def wait.
      06-21-2007, 02:12 AM   #100
Mr Practical
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 - TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post

1.) How old are you?

I think he was making a comparison of Diamond Vs Car...not diamond vs IRA.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #101
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Do you feel a little more important now? Do you feel special or somehow better yet?
Important??? Why should I feel important?

I'm just stating that you guys are willing to spend $40k+ on your cars and complain about purchasing a ring that is 1/4 the cost???

I mean, this is a once in a lifetime thing (for some people). And if that person is really special to them, I definitely think they deserve the ring.

That's just my $.02.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #102
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
Important??? Why should I feel important?

I'm just stating that you guys are willing to spend $40k+ on your cars and complain about purchasing a ring that is 1/4 the cost???

I mean, this is a once in a lifetime thing (for some people). And if that person is really special to them, I definitely think they deserve the ring.

That's just my $.02.
lol i agree....

personally i rather give her a 1-5k ring and then give her a bimmer :rocks:
      06-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #103
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic View Post
lol i agree....

personally i rather give her a 1-5k ring and then give her a bimmer :rocks:
Man, not everybody is as RICH as you!

lol!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #104
DIRKD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan

If you are not getting the 335 you can spend 50k for a ring.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #105
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

If she is good enough to marry you, get the ring.

They always come out with a better car in the future.
      06-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #106
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
soooo this kinda sucks i came to realized 2 weeks before my e92 comes in i just cant afford it now...things came up not bad things kinda a good thing i plan on asking my girl friend to marry me!! but when i saw the price tag on those rings my eyes just went i know which one she wants and its around 12kish....and before i ordered my 335 i had everything working out financially and didnt plan on buying a ring and i was just barely making out to make the payments on the 335....so i guess the story is im 335less and im stuck with my e90 im kinda bumed out about this but happy at the same time....
That so funny.............I JUST HAD THE SAME CONCLUSION. Well not really, I bought my 335i and could afford it no problem. But then left my job a month ago to start my own company with two other guys. Though it appears we are going to make sick money a year from now, and good money a few months from now, right now I could use some extramoney because I just bought MY GF A RING!!!! (dude, what are we doing, never thought I would give up a car for a girl). So since I am getting a brand new 335i as collateral exchange for the one I have that went down for 45 days with fuel pump issue I am selling mine, and getting a used E46 M3 and walking away with 13k in my pocket. But I will miss my E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #107
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

geez you guys are making me feel real good about myself before i pop the question lol....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #108
stewie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

this thread is hilarious... bunch of guys in depreciating $50k cars are giving a guy hell for spending "a lot" of money on a ring for the woman he loves.

If he's doing it to try to impress her, it's a mistake. BUT if he's doing it because it's what she wants, then it's the right decision (assuming he can afford it). That $12k will pay dividends for the rest of his life. Hell, make it $15k. It's still a better "investment" than the car. All the married guys know what I'm talking about.

I spent about the same amount on my wife's ring... at the time doing so meant passing up the 325 I wanted and getting something cheaper. Well today I'm upgrading to a 335 (at her insistence that I treat myself) and I don't regret having passed up the car I wanted 5 years ago... not for a second.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #109
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
i just got engaged a couple of months ago so i can tell you some specs. i got a pretty decent deal. it's really up to you on how much you wanna spend. i don't follow the two months salary rule. but for me...i wanted to get my girl a good ring that i don't have to upgrade to. why spend 5-6K on the first ring, then another 8-12K on an upgrade when you can just spend 12K the first time. that's my philosophy. but don't spend 12K cuz u feel like you have to. do what you can afford. your fiance should understand that. i was lucky enough to be able to spend 14K on mine...some specs.

1.22C
F color
VVS2 clarity
XXX cut (excellent polish, excellent symmetry, excellent cut grade).
Which lab said F/VVS2, GIA? The other characteristics are subjective, unless you're talking "Hearts on Fire" etc. in which case you're shopping with Will and Jada and you do know that AGS says it's beyond ideal. The price sounds generally very high to me for what you describe. What shape? Do you know the warehouse clubs sell nothing less than F/VS1? Only problem is the cert is not GIA, it's IGI. Deduct 2 from coor and clarity to get the real deal.....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #110
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Forget a ring, go buy gold bullion, easily exchanged for any fiat currency the world over basically 24 hours a day.
Appreciate 0