05-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #89
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
No, and not wearing a tie doesnt impair your ability to do a job either, but there was a time when you'd be judged negatively for that also.

Human nature proves time and time again that people make judgments and assumptions based on appearance, and the nature of those judgments varies from 1 generation to the next, as social norms evolve. That's not news.

30-40 years ago, every man in an office wore a dress shirt and tie, and suits were common for all but the lowest on the ladder. The show Mad Men is fiction, but it's depiction of period appropriate dress is not. Today, you see casual pants, even jeans, are paired with dress shirts, or less formal collared shirts, or even t-shirts. Even at the c-suite level, ties are becoming more and more rare.

But, fact is, there was a time when anyone who showed up to a meeting without a tie, would be judged for doing so (silently or even openly). Their superiors would make assumptions about their professionalism, and their career development would be affected accordingly.

Even then you couldnt prove that wearing a tie around your neck makes the accounting work you do any better, but that didnt matter, it was the social norm of the time. Over time, the people who honestly thought your attire was a proxy for your ability and professionalism slowly retired out of the workforce, and things relaxed.

Acceptance of tats will unfold the same, but it's lagging by 20 years or so. But, until the old guys retire, work their way out of the system, there will be a stigma attached to visible tats too.

Cycle will continue. All the folks complaining about not being able to express themselves with a big nose ring today, will be 65 someday, in a position of real power, and will complain about the young kids who show up to work topless on hot summer days. The young kids then will complain about the uptight old guys who make them wear shirts, when being topless requires less A/C, is more green, and does not impair your ability to work on the next Mr. Fusion for your flying car.
What a glimpse into the future. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #90
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
No, and not wearing a tie doesnt impair your ability to do a job either, but there was a time when you'd be judged negatively for that also.

Human nature proves time and time again that people make judgments and assumptions based on appearance, and the nature of those judgments varies from 1 generation to the next, as social norms evolve. That's not news.

30-40 years ago, every man in an office wore a dress shirt and tie, and suits were common for all but the lowest on the ladder. The show Mad Men is fiction, but it's depiction of period appropriate dress is not. Today, you see casual pants, even jeans, are paired with dress shirts, or less formal collared shirts, or even t-shirts. Even at the c-suite level, ties are becoming more and more rare.

But, fact is, there was a time when anyone who showed up to a meeting without a tie, would be judged for doing so (silently or even openly). Their superiors would make assumptions about their professionalism, and their career development would be affected accordingly.

Even then you couldnt prove that wearing a tie around your neck makes the accounting work you do any better, but that didnt matter, it was the social norm of the time. Over time, the people who honestly thought your attire was a proxy for your ability and professionalism slowly retired out of the workforce, and things relaxed.

Acceptance of tats will unfold the same, but it's lagging by 20 years or so. But, until the old guys retire, work their way out of the system, there will be a stigma attached to visible tats too.

Cycle will continue. All the folks complaining about not being able to express themselves with a big nose ring today, will be 65 someday, in a position of real power, and will complain about the young kids who show up to work topless on hot summer days. The young kids then will complain about the uptight old guys who make them wear shirts, when being topless requires less A/C, is more green, and does not impair your ability to work on the next Mr. Fusion for your flying car.
That doesn't really answer the question. All of what you said explains some of it (the social norm part), but that doesn't make it right. People also used to (and still do, apparently) look down on others because of the color of their skin...

So, why is there a prejudice? What is the "bad" thing about having a tattoo? What exactly is the negative perception it gives off in a "professional" environment? It's not as intangible as you are making it out to seem.
      05-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #91
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Not a fan of tattoos. I can't imagine any design cool enough to permanently etch in your skin.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #92
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Ok, so it's stipulated. People with tats are discriminated against, people with no tats are bigots. Next topic: the mullet...a hairstyle? Or a lifestyle?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #93
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:

I'd say you summed it up perfectly.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:38 AM   #94
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

I'm getting a job tomorrow, if all these guys are running around with no shirts on. Hell, I would start today the hunt, but I'm lazy.

Really. It's a tattoo. If it's a good one, it works, if it's a bad one, judgement is called by me in a humiliating way that will make the person remove it.

This is not hard, don't get a tribal or idiot tattoo, and place it somewhere you want the one you are naked with to see.

I take all info available about the shirtless offices you can give, just pm me.
Just crying out loud, this is the easiest method for women everywhere to spot the idiots, so please, please don't say they are bad.
Yes, I do not own balls, except the ones I keep in my pocket, otherwise they are useless as paper weights they didn't work. Now I can go and feed the ducks, if they need meat.

Last edited by Lups; 05-09-2014 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: Just added the serious tone, which is my way of posting.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:49 AM   #95
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Ok, so it's stipulated. People with tats are discriminated against, people with no tats are bigots. Next topic: the mullet...a hairstyle? Or a lifestyle?
circumcision - yay or nay?

(I'm cut but I want my hood back)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 05:54 AM   #96
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
circumcision - yay or nay?

(I'm cut but I want my hood back)
Nay. It's the natural male satchel, great for hiding late night snacks or little treats. No man should be relinquished of this asset.

oh wait. fml.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #97
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
So, why is there a prejudice? What is the "bad" thing about having a tattoo? What exactly is the negative perception it gives off in a "professional" environment? It's not as intangible as you are making it out to seem.
There are many perceptions people form about someone who has a tattoo. Some may think its a gangbanger/thug thing. Some may think its a party guy/girl thing. Ever heard the term "tramp stamp"? Some may simply think a tattoo is a bad life decision (like getting a facial piercing or gauges in your ears) and thus if this person is prone to making bad decisions about their body, perhaps their work will suffer as well. Basically, there are many negative connotations associated with tattoos, a few of which I cited.

Of course these perceptions may be far from reality but when you do something to modify your appearance in a manor which is not the "norm" you expose yourself to possibly being perceived the wrong way. Think of someone who looks "ghetto" - maybe baggy pants sagging below his underwear, baggy shirt, long chain, etc. Could be the nicest guy in the world but people will immediately form judgments based on his outward appearance. Same holds true for someone who looks "goth" with dark makeup, all black cloths, etc. Hell, same even holds true in the car world...people make judgments based on if you have a loud exhaust, loud music, slammed on chrome wheels, etc.

I could go on and on but tattoos are no different than any other metric by which people use to judge.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #98
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

You mean this guy might be judged based on his appearance? Surely that is just wrong!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #99
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
You mean this guy might be judged based on his appearance? Surely that is just wrong!

Isn't that the new look Bill Gates has been working on?
Still, Extreme is always different than something tasteful that can be hidden. If that's your impression of tattooed person, then you are right, that is a sure sign of an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #100
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I could go on and on but tattoos are no different than any other metric by which people use to judge.
I agree with this very much. Tats are just one of the many elements that we use to evaluate our surroundings and others. We may not always know we're doing it, but they do contribute to shaping our perceptions
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #101
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
I agree with this very much. Tats are just one of the many elements that we use to evaluate our surroundings and others. We may not always know we're doing it, but they do contribute to shaping our perceptions
There has to be a middle way even here, one can have them, as long as they don't scream idiot. I love bad tattoos as much as the next unconsidered mean person, and I have pointed and laughed at a person due to their art work, but some of this stuff really do make the wearer look better. And I have to say, more interesting.

As a general rule I suggest that no one takes one, without consulting me first, and there has to be a written explanation to serve with the proposed picture.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #102
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post

He has turbos in his cheeks. Car guy! Could be Jason or Scott.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #103
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
He has turbos in his cheeks. Car guy! Could be Jason or Scott.
Okay, could we go back to the previous image you laid out, this one just isn't working!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #104
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The Jerry Springer Show today is titled "That Stripper corporate VP is the father of my love child." Might be just what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #105
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Here is me and my girlfriend.
Me:

GF:

rest of family
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #106
Lups
Rep

I really do not want to know who Jerry Springer is, if these people are on the show. Life without a tv works better with my sanity.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #107
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
I'm getting a job tomorrow, if all these guys are running around with no shirts on. Hell, I would start today the hunt, but I'm lazy.

Really. It's a tattoo. If it's a good one, it works, if it's a bad one, judgement is called by me in a humiliating way that will make the person remove it.

This is not hard, don't get a tribal or idiot tattoo, and place it somewhere you want the one you are naked with to see.

I take all info available about the shirtless offices you can give, just pm me.
Just crying out loud, this is the easiest method for women everywhere to spot the idiots, so please, please don't say they are bad.
Yes, I do not own balls, except the ones I keep in my pocket, otherwise they are useless as paper weights they didn't work. Now I can go and feed the ducks, if they need meat.
i like some tribal like polynesian but not celtic though.

i enjoy these:

05-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #108
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i like some tribal like polynesian but not celtic though.

i enjoy these:

Sorry, I may have had a wrong word for them ones again.

http://************/p9popca

This kind of wasting of perfectly good skin is what I meant by it. It's just wrong. Your pictures get my seal of approval, which is of course so very important to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #109
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Sorry, I may have had a wrong word for them ones again.

http://************/p9popca

This kind of wasting of perfectly good skin is what I meant by it. It's just wrong. Your pictures get my seal of approval, which is of course so very important to you.
your url got "***" out so i can't see it.

oddly enough it does please me that i received your seal of approval. everyone enjoys that.
      05-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #110
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
your url got "***" out so i can't see it.

oddly enough it does please me that i received your seal of approval. everyone enjoys that.
I can't believe I didn't see the stars while writing this post. That just tells the tale of my skill level without coffee. Sorry, let us try again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0