Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

04-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep
Drives: i3 Rex 2015

My lovely panda movil didn't have rear camera and CarPlay, so I found a person from Hong Kong that post on Instagram "carlinkit" I bough it from "ali express" I was little afraid at beginning thinking was a bad transaction but I got to talk to "YU" a girl that sell the stuff, so normally here I found same module for over a garnd$$$ this module cost me $258 plus tax, is a plug and play no coding required, just a bit of lack of install institutional, but I'm all about to open the car and taking it apart so I did my Slef now my baby is complete I could add front camera, mirror my phone on the screen and much more I'm a happy camper, only thing camera they sell is for another bmw didn't fit on my i3 so I made it fit ( no as nice as I wanted) but for now it works like a charm I did order a new camera with same plug to make I look legit, even though they told me rear camera won't fit I got it anyway just to be sure wiring was good with module CarPlay
Attached Images

04-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
solerunner
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Nice job! Can you PM or share the link to the item you bought from AliExpress. I cannot seem to find the one for the i3. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solerunner View Post
Nice job! Can you PM or share the link to the item you bought from AliExpress. I cannot seem to find the one for the i3. Thanks.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835047845.html

Link to piece you have to chose the size of your screen and color but would be best and more direct to contact same person I got it from her name was YU on Instagram look up for this page and message her direct would be way easy I was confuse on ali express to find the item you have to look on your orders she adjust price an gave a discount $$$ I'll post picture of her page on insta carlinkit_official
      04-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Instagram page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myi3reXhandy View Post
Quote:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835047845.html

Link to piece you have to chose the size of your screen and color but would be best and more direct to contact same person I got it from her name was YU on Instagram look up for this page and message her direct would be way easy I was confuse on ali express to find the item you have to look on your orders she adjust price an gave a discount $$$ I'll post picture of her page on insta carlinkit_official
Here look her up tell her Guillermo pasa you info
Attached Images

04-27-2020, 10:07 PM   #5
solerunner
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the info. I am talking to Yu now. Did yours come with a backup camera?
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am talking to Yu now. Did yours come with a backup camera?
No I got it separate the camera but plugs in the module
      05-06-2020, 07:11 AM   #7
Hanzel83
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 and Toyota Prius

Nice post. I’m looking for the same system. But can you still connect to the bmw connect app.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:17 AM   #8
solerunner
Registered
Rep

Got everything installed and it's working well. I have a question on mirroring. We're you able to display mirroring in full screen? Mine is cutoff about half and inch on both sides. I have the 10.25" screen. Everything else like Android auto is in fullscreen. Also, what backup camera did you end up getting? Do you have a link?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzel83 View Post
Nice post. I’m looking for the same system. But can you still connect to the bmw connect app.
All work like a charm no issues
      05-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #10
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Got everything installed and it's working well. I have a question on mirroring. We're you able to display mirroring in full screen? Mine is cutoff about half and inch on both sides. I have the 10.25" screen. Everything else like Android auto is in fullscreen. Also, what backup camera did you end up getting? Do you have a link?
As for the camera I got one that was no for i3 i didn't know i3 cámara are in the bumper this cante I got has the trunk trigger all in one but didn't fit there so I have to carve out the camera out and installed above the plate under that lip of the bumper for better protection no the best beautiful job but it works for now I got a different camera from eBay that I will replace later on as for the screen part you need to go to the root menu on the device no CarPlay and there are the setting of the module and camera setting to get full screen or divide with the sensors
Attached Images

05-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #11
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myi3reXhandy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzel83 View Post
Nice post. I'm looking for the same system. But can you still connect to the bmw connect app.
All work like a charm no issues
No issues with app
Attached Images

05-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #12
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
No she offer but she told me that's no the camera for the car but still I got it to made the connection and no need to do more work with taking the car apart twice I found another camera more nice looking in eBay but plug is different and I need to rerun the wire but I may installed to front view camera for parking and keep the back camera as it is the image is HD. No joke
      05-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #13
star63
Rep

I have a similar (not the same) interface in my i3. I'm generally satisfied with mine but the resolution could be better and a "cold" start takes for about one minute.

How about this one:

- Is the resolution good (google maps as sharp as original BMW navi)?
- How quickly does it start after sitting for a longer time?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:42 PM   #14
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by star63 View Post
I have a similar (not the same) interface in my i3. I'm generally satisfied with mine but the resolution could be better and a "cold" start takes for about one minute.

How about this one:

- Is the resolution good (google maps as sharp as original BMW navi)?
- How quickly does it start after sitting for a longer time?
Resolution is just as clear as the cellphone as the starting time as soon I press the start button it start you could turn off by pressing the menu button to go back to idrive menu
Attached Images

05-27-2020, 02:53 AM   #15
star63
Rep

Thanks - sounds good!

I'm using Android Auto (wired). I don't know if that makes the difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by star63 View Post
Thanks - sounds good!

I'm using Android Auto (wired). I don't know if that makes the difference.
No sure but this was only option I found under $300 other unit sell here that they x CSS all prime is $600 just for back up camera and if I wanted the CarPlay alone is $900 so do the math if I wanted both $$$$ this has all I wanted back up camera, CarPlay, and mirror the phone on screen
      04-29-2022, 05:32 AM   #17
ckspark
Rep
Drives: BMW I3

Be careful when ordering the Carlinkit because only the specific BMW I3 version will work. I made a mistake of searching Amazon for BMW I3 Carplay, the Carlinkit version came up and was stated for BMW to 2016 with NBT. However when it arrived it did not have the extra long cable to allow glove box placement.
Appreciate 0