BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

12-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
eliucp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw i8, range rover sport atb

Any paint experts here?

I just got a couple of hefty stone chips today from the high way. Some cop decided to fly through the emergency lane at at least 140km/hour, and left me some flying rock chips all over the front end. I felt the pain when I was in the car even.

I got out and looked and noticed some deep marks across the front of my hood/side. At least my car is wrapped in 3m vinyl film, but even then I believe the chips sank through to the paint.

Now my question is, although parts of the wrap is ruined and chipped off, I had it in the very first place to prevent events like this (should've gotten the ppf, i just learned it was a lot thicker, contrary to what I was told initially).

Instead of replacing the whole front hood wrap, touching up the paint, and re-wrapping the area, should I just put paint around the chipped area on my hood? If the stones did sink through, the paint will just fill in the gap, so later on when I take off the wrap the paint will blend in perfectly (does it work this way?) or if the stone didn't sink through, it'll just be some paint on my wrap. Any one have experiences with this? I already have the paint for the car. Will definitely save some hassle if my logic is correct..

Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
eliucp
Enlisted Member
Rep

here is an example of the damage
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliucp View Post
here is an example of the damage
ooouuuchh... try Chipex my detailer used it on my M4 and I was shock at the results not perfect but I really had to put my eye to see the chip.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:17 AM   #4
Emon Crew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' crystal white i8

I do recall seeing a thread on another forum about someone using a touch up method with a toothpick. Basically he got a small can of touch up paint and and dabbed a toothpick in it to essentially just use one drop of paint. He applied it daily for about 2 weeks until it covered the chip and when he was done it blended in pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:12 AM   #5
eliucp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emon Crew View Post
I do recall seeing a thread on another forum about someone using a touch up method with a toothpick. Basically he got a small can of touch up paint and and dabbed a toothpick in it to essentially just use one drop of paint. He applied it daily for about 2 weeks until it covered the chip and when he was done it blended in pretty well.
need two weeks? is there a reason why he did so instead of just dropping a large paint? how does one touch up for two weeks haha isn't it just a small chip
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Ouch! Sorry that happened.

If the impact left a deep impression, it would be difficult just applying paint touch up in my opinion. I would apply bondo to fill-in the depression. After it cures or dries, then apply the paint touch up with Detail Micro Brushes Paint Touch Up Applicators (available overnight from Amazon).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:10 AM   #7
Emon Crew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' crystal white i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliucp View Post
need two weeks? is there a reason why he did so instead of just dropping a large paint? how does one touch up for two weeks haha isn't it just a small chip
He put just a speck of paint (whatever comes off the end of the toothpick) in the damaged area each day until it was full which took him 2 weeks. I remember seeing the pictures and it looked great, blended in pretty well.
Appreciate 0